• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I can't believe I got this 9.8 from 1974 so cheap

68 posts in this topic

hey, sure its bad form to not buy something you already agreed to on Ebay because research after the fact made one change your mind. BUT - - he talked it over with the seller who not only agreed to mutually end it, but a;so apparently initiated the cancellation.

so give the guy a break.. I thnk everyone else here would kill to only buy from sellers like this guy who is doing the right thing....

Just what is the right thing this guy is doing?

The right thing is to honor your commitments.He put in a bid and thought he got a great deal. One he was very happy with,until someone else bothered to look at the CGC census for him..One that he still figured was a good deal because of the $30 slabbing fee until someone else edjamacated him about that.So what is this right thing you refer to?

the SELLER is doing the right thing. Havent you ever felt placed in a bad situation, hoped to get out of it, only to faced against a strict "rules are rules" jerk?

Heres a guy who made a decision based on emperical reasoning: a "scarce" 9.8 book that was sold only inside model kits. Then finds out the story is deeper than that. Whoa. So he talks to the seller, who tels him "No problem dude! Lets forget ir\t ever happened"

THATS what I meant... or do you think the buyer should be punished for his naiivete??? Do you think YOU should if you were in his shoes?

do you think the buyer should be punished for his naiivete??? Do you think YOU should if you were in his shoes?

Personally, I'd have followed through with the payment. The seller does not make a person bid on the auction. If it turns out I've paid too much, that's my problem not the seller...

Jim

no argument that he SHOULD follow thru.

But the seller says its okay not to.

Youd STILL send the check for a book in this situation?

Im not saying its okay to renege. The buyer IS NOT reneging. He and the seller have amended their contract making it null and void. So what is the buyers obligation mow? Insist on paying for the book?

Turn the question around.

Say you're the seller and you put in your auction description information that is demonstrably false (e.g. the books is scarce when there are a bazillion in 9.8 and above). Buyer informs you of this after the auction.

Should you as the seller insist that the buyer follow through?

BTW, this piqued my curiosity a little. I thought I'd poke around on ebay a little and found this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/AURORA-ROBIN-COMICS-SCENES-MODEL-KIT-SEALED_W0QQitemZ300191314133QQihZ020QQcategoryZ2593QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It's a complete, factory-sealed model still with the comic packaged within the box. Seller started it at $79.99, and not even a nibble. Of course, the comic contained would likely have been in less-than-mint, but the entire sealed kit is still a very nice collectible, IMHO. If I got one, though, I'd have to open it and build the thing.

Im not saying its okay to renege. The buyer IS NOT reneging. He and the seller have amended their contract making it null and void. So what is the buyers obligation mow? Insist on paying for the book?

Why do you suppose the seller said its okay? Which of the two started the conversation do you think? Does anyone here believe the seller just decided on his own to let the buyer off the hook.

There are 100 of these slabbed in HG. There are an awful lot more Hulk 181s floating around than these,so if these are worthless,I guess every book with 100 slabbed Hi grades is.

Its pretty simple- you bid,you win,you pay.If not,don't bid. The bidder frequents the forums,he easily could have checked the census himself,or even just done a completed sales search on the pamphlet involved.

As the former buyer thinks he is in the right,why doesn't he list his ebay id as I requested. I'm sure theres several sellers here that would be happy to know who he is.

Why do you suppose the seller said its okay? Which of the two started the conversation do you think? Does anyone here believe the seller just decided on his own to let the buyer off the hook.

There are 100 of these slabbed in HG. There are an awful lot more Hulk 181s floating around than these,so if these are worthless,I guess every book with 100 slabbed Hi grades is.

Its pretty simple- you bid,you win,you pay.If not,don't bid. The bidder frequents the forums,he easily could have checked the census himself,or even just done a completed sales search on the pamphlet involved.

As the former buyer thinks he is in the right,why doesn't he list his ebay id as I requested. I'm sure theres several sellers here that would be happy to know who he is.

You didn't just equate an 9.8 Aurora model INSERT BOOKLET ...to a CGC 9.8 HULK#181???? did you???? the 1st app of one of the most popular comic superheroes ever? :juggle:

uhhhhhhhhhh....i'm running outside my home now to burst out laughing lol i'll be back...

I got nothing invested emotionally or financially here, Shad. Reading the thread sez to me that heres a case (finally) where a seller lets a newb buyer off the hook. Wheres the great karmic and cosmic harm in this happy ending?

And of course the buyer started the conversation about walking away. So what? Was the seller expected to ask "You SURE you REALLY want to buy this piece of ? No Really??? Ok send the dough." Of course the buyer who is now aware would bring up what he now knows.

Normally, however, Mr GOTCHA FAIR AND SQUARE seller puts the screws into Newbie no-nothing buyer, teaching a valuable lesson about how his word is his bond etc etc etc. But how is that a good thing, or even necessary anymore now that he HAS learned his lesson; AND the seller is COOL with it and doesnt need the lousy $35 bucks to stick it to the guy.

At least thats how I read this story... your mileage does differ.

I got nothing invested emotionally or financially here, Shad. Reading the thread sez to me that heres a case (finally) where a seller lets a newb buyer off the hook. Wheres the great karmic and cosmic harm in this happy ending?

And of course the buyer started the conversation about walking away. So what? Was the seller expected to ask "You SURE you REALLY want to buy this piece of ? No Really??? Ok send the dough." Of course the buyer who is now aware would bring up what he now knows.

Normally, however, Mr GOTCHA FAIR AND SQUARE seller puts the screws into Newbie no-nothing buyer, teaching a valuable lesson about how his word is his bond etc etc etc. But how is that a good thing, or even necessary anymore now that he HAS learned his lesson; AND the seller is COOL with it and doesnt need the lousy $35 bucks to stick it to the guy.

The seller probably thinks the book went for too cheap a price. Probably thinking he can re-list & get $60 (who knows, he might), thus the easy going attitude about letting the buyer out. Both sides happy, no foul.

You're making alot of assumptions here. I wouldn't go bashing the seller until his description of the item is known. Also, who's to say the seller knew any better than the buyer? He may have bought the comic under the same premise as the buyer and not known about the warehouse find. Anyone got a link to the auction because I can't find it.

Jim

The seller probably thinks the book went for too cheap a price. Probably thinking he can re-list & get $60 (who knows, he might), thus the easy going attitude about letting the buyer out. Both sides happy, no foul.

Or the seller saw a problem buyer and decided to cut his losses before getting a neg...

Jim

Or the seller saw a problem buyer and decided to cut his losses before getting a neg...

Jim

Yep, thats my take. Seller saw a problem buyer, small transaction, buyer lists a whole bunch of issues on why they do not want to complete deal.

As a seller I would (apparently) cheerfully say no problem, have a nice day. I would block the buyer, and move on.

you know, Im looking at your lovely Apple lady licking the AppleTV closely after all this time, and, just before she smiles for the camera, and wins our hearts and warms our cockles... she initially reacts to the foulness of what shes got her tongue on with a weird look, but THEN, for the camera, turns on the smiles!

Its like what the body language guys say that the face subconciously betrays the mind before it can act to mask the true emotions.