• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Distributor Ink Stains

33 posts in this topic

I've got a couple of books that have extensive ink bleed from the distributor ink onto the comic cover. Does that significantly reduce the value of the book or is it considered a production defect and not take so much away as, let's say, markers?

It's considered a production defect, a very mild one if there's no bleeding onto the cover itself. With bleeding it's considered a much more major defect albeit not nearly as serious as that from something truly extraneous like marker ink. That's my impression anyway.

:blahblah:

Is it distributor ink...or is it production ink?

Looks like distributor's ink, I'll post one up later tonight and tell me what you think. It's not that they are worth much, just curious in case I run into it again some day.

Why would there be ink from a distributor?

They used to mark them for returns if they went unsold. Different colors corresponded to the month the book came out.

I have heard that different colors represent different distributors.The distributors,who were all crooks,were afraid newstands would buy previously returned books from other sources and flood them into their distributorship.

I understand the one inch type color dab being for distribution purposes

but I had always been led to believe that a book that looks like it was practially soaked in blue ink up top and maybe dripping onto the spine is that way because it was a return

Here's an example of what I was reffering to. As you can see, it literally is all over the top and dripping front and back. It bleeds only slightly, though, into the inner pages.

AT5.jpg

AT5BC.jpg

:whatthe::eek::sick:

That comic is going to get hammered should you submit it. CGC may overlook light staining but if it looks like it's been dipped in distro ink, like your example, it'll be treated as a major defect...

Jim