• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinion on the Iron Man/Subby #1 book?

286 posts in this topic

Yes it is! And I have some Silver Surfer # 2's that are quite different and I really think that these could be called a "variant" but I will be patient and see when I can gather the comics for a good comparison.

CAL hi.gif

Uhhh....I don't know if I'd call it a variant CAL....

Looks like the printing mix was reloaded during printing. I buy the Green FF #110 as a variant but the SM/IM change is too subtle to give it that designation.

Jim

Uhhh....I don't know if I'd call it a variant CAL....

Looks like the printing mix was reloaded during printing. I buy the Green FF #110 as a variant but the SM/IM change is too subtle to give it that designation.

Jim

Just the top of the LOGO area and no other part of the Comic??? Atn least w/ Silver Surfer # 2 that I am compiling for us on this Board there is far more consistency regarding the entire cover(s)...

I just was astounded that I found this IMSM "difference( I won't call it a variant just quite yet)" out of 818 copies. Seems to me a print mix re-load would have more than 3 copies out of 818 with that blue....

CAL 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'm not doubting you, it just appears that way on my monitor. It very well may look a whole lot different when the comics are in your hands. It's interesting that the word "MARVEL" has also changed color. Is there any way you could scan both front covers?

Jim

Take in consideration I "heightened" the Brightness so the covers look a tad "yellow" but I can re-scan them if necessary:

IronManSubby1forCGCBoardStandardLogo.jpgIronManSubby1forCGCBoardStandardLogo2.jpgIronManSubby1forCGCBoardBlueLogo1.jpg

CAL....it looks as if the whole cover has a deeper hue of violet with the "blue" copy. Look at the blacks on Subby's chest. Like I said, it looks as if the printing mix (or at least one of the primary colors) was reloaded. But again, that's the way it appears on my monitor.

Jim

Jim,

The 3rd "Blue Logo copy" is quite worn and is a G 2.0. The cover gloss is just about all gone. I know this makes a difference if you could get all 3 books on your desk in front of you to see.

I am processing these same 3 as we speak and will re-try to give a "clearer" picture - give me some time please...

CAL juggle.gif

Jim,

Hopefully after you look at these scans here of the same 3 comics, you will see just about NO color changes anywhere else BUT those Logos. The first comic I call the "Standard Colored Logo" has far more cover gloss than the other two, and the @nd copy I call the "2nd Standard Logo" which to me is NOT a variant of any kind and like you said, the color mixes during print runs are to be "expected" to have differences in hues, etc.

That 3rd "Blue Logo" ( dang it - I sold the NM- 9.2 for a nice sum about 3 months ago - more Seller's remorse here) I just cannot think of the reason why this occurred and am trying to buy as many of these as I can find.

Hope this helps!

CAL grin.gif

I see the difference, but aren't color variations like this not uncommon on silver age books, due to low ink levels that occurred occasionally during the printing process? I've seen a lot of silver stuff with variations in color.

How do the rest of the colors on the covers compare?

Yes, color variations within a print run are common, and I'm guessing they have to do with at which point in the print run the books were printed. It seems to be more prevalent on Blue/Purple colored books like the IM/SM example, and I've seen it on a ton of 70's DC's as well.

I don't think the book is a variant, and would say it was part of a printing change as others have suggested. The printing technology was much lower in the Silver Age and quality control not what it is today. I have seen a number of SA books with two or three color variations, FF 48 is one that imediately springs to mind.

I sure wished I had that scan of the NM- 9.2 I sold - the Logo was almost BLUE in it's entirety - I might try to buy the comic back or maybe trade him - give him 2 comprable copies and throw in a Spidey or something.... juggle.gif

CAL

DrBanner would you call my "Blue Logo" a Variant?

CAL hi.gif

No. Like Blowout mentions, FF 48 has wide color variations, and though I shudder to bring it up...Hulk 181 comes in both "fire engine red" (as hammer describes his copies) and "pumpkin orange".

OTOH, FF 110 is definitely a variant with a different printing mix... thumbsup2.gif