• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steve Gerber 1947 - 2008

30 posts in this topic

My best friend as a kid was a huge Gerber fan... collecting Howard The Duck, Defenders, Man-Thing...

While never exactly my cup of tea, Mr. Gerber was the reason my friend and I got together many a summer afternoon reading each others comics.

The comic industry really doesn't need to lose such a unique voice... :sorry:

RIP

"As part of the protracted legal battle, Gerber and the legendary Marvel Comics creator Jack Kirby created the lead feature in an anthology sharing the name Destroyer Duck, from Eclipse, with proceeds from various professional doing stories going to Gerber's war chest. As Mark Evanier points out in his memorial post regarding Gerber, there was no shortage of professionals willing to contribute. "People did that because they knew, first of all, that Steve was fighting not just for his own financial reasons but for matters of principle relating to how the comic book industry treated its creators." The Gerber/Kirby feature is fondly remembered as comics apart from its industry implications. Marvel was satirized in the comic as Godcorp, the merciless corporation that exploited and then killed Destroyer Duck's best friend in a blunt swipe at Marvel's treatment of Gerber's Howard. That character would go on to make brief appearances in future comic books from Marvel and Image, and the original material is to be collected by Image Comics"

I'm a heck of alot prouder of my copy of that book. I think we're all richer for his contributions to both the medium, and the artists who performed within it.

RIP Steve Gerber.

What a true loss. Along with Steve Englehart, Jim Starlin, and Marv Wolfman, Gerber's writing defined the Bronze age of Marvel Comics. Everything he touched became a just a little bit quirky which meshed perfectly with his plotting and scripting style. His Howard the Duck and Man-Thing comics are classics and always will be.

Just last night I was leafing through a bunch of Dracula Lives mags and was surprised at how many of those stories were his. And I read a few and they were all good. To this day, one of my all-time favorite single comics issue remains Iron Man Annual 3, a goofy, brilliant story about a little girl, Iron Man, Man-Thing and the Molecule Man. Great stuff.

RIP Mr. Gerber.