• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone notice that .......

16 posts in this topic

all the nice stuf on Ebay doesnt seem to be hitting reserves??? Is the CGC hype all over? Or are people just overpricing??

OVERPRICED

UNDERPRICED (THE ACTUAL FINAL BID, NOT THE BIN!)

This is more a lesson in phsycology than a sign of "The crash"....

[*]Reserves have a tendancy to deter bidding.

[*]Restoration scares collectors & investors.

If both auctions started at $1.00 with no reserve the prices could have very well exceeded the reserves very easily...however...if the seller has money invested in a book this could be a very costly prospect in the case that the end price does not meet the amount of the sellers initial investment...

But that in itself is indicative of a downturn in the market. I can remember during the CGC Craze, sellers of high-grade keys/etc. would never use Reserves, since they were virtually assured of market high prices.

Once the hype died down, I've been noticing more and more sellers not trusting the market to decide a "current value" and looking to "protect their investment".

I think we can somewhat agree that the "hype" has softened somewhat but I believe that my points are indicative of why the items didn't sell....Bidder frenzies still happen ...they just aren't as prevelant in a reserve auction...

I also think buyers are more methodical in their bidding strategy and are willing to wait for the book to either be offered without a reserve or for another book to come along...

There are more informed and patient bidders out there and although it may be a little tougher to reel them in I don't think this one aspect of the market is indicitive of "the crash"...a downturn yes...but that's about it...JMO...

You may think FF 12 is overpriced, but apparently Blazingbob doesn't think so. He was willing to bid over $18,000 for it. So he either wants it really bad for himself, or he has a buyer who wants it really bad.

I'm guessing the reserve is probably $20,000.

Quick Points:

1) I analize almost all Marvel Silver-Average titles, and as a whole, prices are stable on a month to month basis. So far, no crash.

2) Because prices are STABLE, people who bought books in the past six months or so, and try to sell for a profit, will have a hard time, unless they bought at a discount. In other words, if they bought a book for $150 (and that was market value) and now they set a reserve for $170 (to make a small profit), they might not get a sale. Simply because $150-160 is still the market value. They haven't lost money, but they can't sell for a profit yet.

I analize almost all Marvel Silver-Average titles

You do WHAT?!! to all Marvel Silver Age titles? 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

Gene

You see the damage Hank Pym's kinky "little" escapades have already done to our impressionable minds!?!?!

Awful, Awful, Awful! 893naughty-thumb.gif