• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bill Hughes auctions results and did you win anything?

73 posts in this topic

Seemed kind of like a fill-in between the big auctions from CL and Heritage.

Given that he's got a decent number of books in the Heritage and CL auctions, I think you've described his own auction very accurately.

Steel,

Right you are. I bought the first ASM 14 Northland (along with almost every other high grade issue) when Mike Goldman made the ASM run available (I think it was sometime in 97). For some reason the original owner held on to his X-Men and ASM's when they first bought his collection so Motor City didn't get these runs until a year or so later. The ASM 14 I bought graded a 9.6 and was killer. I swapped it in 2001 to get the Pacific Coast copy as I was on a Pac Coast kick at this time (an even 9.6 for a 9.6). That Northland 9.6 was gorgeous. I paid like $3,000 or so at the time (could have been a bit less) and people thought I was nuts!!

Well with everybody concerned about a posibility of a recesssion and with the quality of books available for sale, the Bill Hughes auctions ended earlier tonight to kick off the first of 4 quality auctions to occur in the next month or so. Was anybody watching anything and how do you think the auctioned fared? Better yet did anybody win anything? I was really only watching one particular book and participated for the first time in a VintageCollectables.net auction. I am also pleased to say I won said book.

NorthlandASM14.jpg

Although I didn't set a GPA record, I definitely didn't pick it up for a "steal".

I also guess I have officialy decided to add other pedigree books to my collection other than White Mountains, which I'm not quite sure is a good or bad thing. :)

Anyways I'd love to hear other collectors thoughts of the auction as a whole.

Jim

Don't goonchild those sweet Northland X-Men, save some for Doctor Watson.

I would never Goon someones NL's...I try to respect other collectors foci first. Especially when a collection is as narrow as say NL X-Mens, or Green River copies...sure they don't own the the rights to any books that appear on the marketplace but they do deserve the best oppotunity to purchase first.

Jim

I too had dealt w/ Bill previously via his Website and his wife Sharon via eBay, but this was my 1st entry into his VintageCollectables.net offerings.

I liked it, was very easy to bid, but could use a "watching items" function (so could CL, for that matter). hm

Bid on quite a few, but won a nice pair of "highest copy" Conan's that I had been gunning for. Neither were real steals, but I paid what I expected for 'em! (thumbs u

** Saw one of those Tomb of Dracula's in a 9.6 went for opening bid of only $1?! :makepoint: