• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Non paying bidder notice filed on Ebay. What happens now?

28 posts in this topic

Hi,

I recently won a large lot auction on Ebay and would have paid for the lot immediately using paypal, but reading the sellers auction he states he will not accept paypal on transactions over 125.00 dollars and that he will only accept money orders at that cost. Therefore I was forced to use a money order and mail it.

I sent the money order on Feb 9th ( the day after the auction ended ) but the seller obviously still has not received it. He has filed a "Non paying bider notice" against me. Having never gone through this experience before I thought I would ask for advice and ask "what can happen?"

I am very worried considering I have since made many purchases to go along with the collection I bought from the seller, and I really dont want to see the deal go south.The real issue again is that I am in Canada, he is in the USA and mail seems to be a crawl.

Any comments? I personally think the seller is kind of jumping the gun, it has been only one week since the auction ended...

Artboy99

Yeah,he needs to be a little more patient I would think.He should know that mail can take a little longer between countries.

I agree. I know if I were the seller, I would take that fact into consideration, especially if you could produce a scanned copy of your MO receipt.

Yeah,he needs to be a little more patient I would think.He should know that mail can take a little longer between countries.

I agree. I know if I were the seller, I would take that fact into consideration, especially if you could produce a scanned copy of your MO receipt.

Problem: I dont have a scanner, and the copy of the receipt is stuck in my office desk drawer at work and I am unable to get into the building until Tuesday. ( security: I work for a bank and do not have after hours access. )

I did email the guy and explained, I hope that is enough.

Artboy99

Problem: I dont have a scanner, and the copy of the receipt is stuck in my office desk drawer at work and I am unable to get into the building until Tuesday. ( security: I work for a bank and do not have after hours access. )

Artboy99

Just in case he doesn't play fair, be sure to make all of your contacts through ebay. That way, you are covering your own arse. (thumbs u

Artboy99

Just in case he doesn't play fair, be sure to make all of your contacts through ebay. That way, you are covering your own arse. (thumbs u

All I know is I am feeling sick to my stomach over this, and I hope he isnt using this as a means of being able to relist the item. I have a good 250 comics in the mail right now that I have purchased recently to augment the purchase....

Artboy99

Artboy99

All I know is I am feeling sick to my stomach over this, and I hope he isnt using this as a means of being able to relist the item. I have a good 250 comics in the mail right now that I have purchased recently to augment the purchase....

Artboy99

You can also contact eBay through their live help option and give them a heads-up about the situation. I think you can access Live Help through your home page. Live Help is alot more comforting in a situation like the one you are in. Nothing worse than being upset and having to contact eBay via eMail, only to receive a message telling you that they will contact you within 24 to 48 hours, UGH!

Don't worry, this will work out for you. Been there, Done that.... (thumbs u

That sounds like absolute bull-mess to me on the part of the Seller...it's the freakin' 16th...what did he think that you would be able to transmit the money order by mental telepathy??? And if he doesn't except your communication and explanation, then he is even a greater tool than for filing the hair-trigger non-payment notice...unbelieveable! Good luck but as for the scenario you've explained so far you are being f*@&ed!

(shrug)

Don't worry about it. Seriously. The non paying bidder alert has a time frame and he'll have your payment before then. I've had several people do that to me just because they did not hear from me in 3 days. I get sick of those people. I make all my Pay Pal payments first. If they want it in the mail they can just wait. And I wouldn't expect any less if they were paying me.

I sell stuff and if someone takes 2 or 3 weeks to pay...BIG FREAKIN' DEAL!

These people.."I don't take PAY PAL because the fees will hurt meeeeee!!!!!! OOOUUCCHHH!!!!" rantrantGet off Ebay and go play somewhere's else already!! :makepoint::devil:

A good seller will allow checks, money orders, Pay Pal whatever it takes to make a sale. And if you offer all venues you'd get higher bids and the fees wouldn't matter. :acclaim:

Things'll work out man. (thumbs u

This seems extremely quick. I thought Ebay had a longer period of time before the seller could seek a non-paying bidder action. I would think if he is reputable seller, your e-mail would suffice. Good luck :wishluck:

If he was a reputable seller he would not jump the gun this quickly .... Anyways... Letss see the auction what did you win thats got you in such a huf? :D

OH yeah I thought ebay had some kind of paypal only rules ?.. I thought MOs or cash on ebay was a big no no...

Everything will be fine. I looked up your transactions and since I live in the same state as the seller (Florida), I can tell you it takes a LONG time for a letter from Canada to get here so yeah he is being a . But as someone else already said, the key is communicating with him via email to explain when you sent the MO and how long it takes things to get from Canada to Florida. You are a 250+ transaction buyer on eBay with 100% positive feedback so I'm sure he'll take a look at that and be happy with your explaination. That being said, be SURE you respond to the formal dispute email from eBay and indicate that payment has been sent. You must respond to the formal dispute via eBay messaging to make sure you aren't issued a formal NPB strike. Good luck...I'm sure it will work out! (thumbs u

Greg

Certainly let it be known to ebay's system that you've paid. You have a week to respond to the notice, so you have time get your proof of payment ready should you need to communicate with the seller or ebay. It could be that the seller is looking to get out of paying ebay fees and so although he may send the books, he might be looking to null the auction with this approach. Good luck with this.

Certainly let it be known to ebay's system that you've paid. You have a week to respond to the notice, so you have time get your proof of payment ready should you need to communicate with the seller or ebay. It could be that the seller is looking to get out of paying ebay fees and so although he may send the books, he might be looking to null the auction with this approach. Good luck with this.

That's a good point, and me being the non-paranoid type, hadn't given that thought...haven't checked out the item or anything but something seems not right...what poor form if the Seller was just hedging his/her bet as not having heard from Buyer for 72 hrs...let us know how things turn out...

Don't worry about it. Seriously. The non paying bidder alert has a time frame and he'll have your payment before then. I've had several people do that to me just because they did not hear from me in 3 days. I get sick of those people. I make all my Pay Pal payments first. If they want it in the mail they can just wait. And I wouldn't expect any less if they were paying me.

These people.."I don't take PAY PAL because the fees will hurt meeeeee!!!!!! OOOUUCCHHH!!!!" rantrantGet off Ebay and go play somewhere's else already!! :makepoint::devil:

A good seller will allow checks, money orders, Pay Pal whatever it takes to make a sale. And if you offer all venues you'd get higher bids and the fees wouldn't matter. :acclaim:

I must commend you on a very well stated response! Your entire message made sense and I immediately induct you into my sane group...you've made some very valid and helpful points...

Sorry about this junk...:(

1. A seller cannot file a non paying bidder alert until 7 days have passed, you just can't do it, I've had 2, 0 feedback bidders on big items REFUSE to pay after the first day (apparently they were drunk) ...and I could NOT file till 7 days (and they were both this week)

2. A seller cannot require that you only pay with paypal under $125.00 ....I'm sorry I didn't hear this one before you paid. Once you accept Paypal, that's it...so once this IS done, REPORT him to Ebay for being a spoon;) it's not within their rules.

3. There is a portion on the auction that says request payment information, answer that, and say mailed MO, sent, it will show up on the seller's copy of the auction as payment sent

4. If you respond to the NPB notice, there is nothing he can do to get his fees back, but he WILL get a note that you answered.

5.Send me his phone number and I'll call him tomorrow as a friend of yours ..and let him know the payment is on the way (assuming you can't call from Canada.

I know how you feel, I try to pay immediately if not sooner, so it must be horribly frustrating for you.

I must commend you on a very well stated response! Your entire message made sense and I immediately induct you into my sane group...you've made some very valid and helpful points...

Can't take Canadian checks in the US, the fees to cash them are very high, US checks, yes, or checks drawn on a US bank...but it costs about $25 for me to cash a Canadian check from a Canadian bank, and not all banks will take them.. (I learned that after selling something for $25.00 and saying SURE a check is OK:)

There are four steps to the Unpaid Item process.

1) Sellers can file an Unpaid Item Dispute.

Sellers can report an Unpaid Item up to 45 days after the transaction date (i.e. the date when the buyer commits to buying the item and the seller commits to selling it). Usually the seller must wait 7 days after a listing closes to file an Unpaid Item Dispute. However, in the following exceptional cases, the seller can file a dispute immediately:

At the time of the filing the buyer is no longer a registered user of eBay.

The seller and buyer wish to mutually withdraw from the transaction.

In the first case the buyer will receive an Unpaid Item strike and the seller will receive a Final Value Fee credit without any additional steps.

In the second case the seller must file the dispute for mutual withdrawal. If the buyer responds to the dispute and agrees, the seller will receive a Final Value Fee credit and no strike will be given to the buyer. If the buyer fails to respond, the seller can still close the dispute to receive a Final Value Fee credit, and the buyer will not receive an Unpaid Item strike.

2) eBay contacts the buyer.

Once the seller files an Unpaid Item Dispute, eBay sends the buyer an email notification and displays a pop-up message if the buyer signs into eBay within 14 days of filing. The email and pop-up message will provide the following details:

Friendly reminder to pay. The email and pop-up message will remind the buyer that payment has not been received, along with simple instructions on how to respond or how to pay for the item. If the buyer does not respond to the email or pop-up message within 7 days, the seller may file for a Final Value Fee credit. The seller also becomes eligible for a free re-list credit.

Mutual agreement indication. If the seller indicates that a mutual agreement has been reached with the buyer not to complete the transaction, eBay will ask the buyer for confirmation through an email and pop-up message.

If the buyer confirms the seller's statement about mutual agreement not to complete the transaction, the buyer will not receive an Unpaid Item strike and the seller will receive a Final Value Fee credit.

If the buyer disagrees with the seller's statement on mutual agreement, the buyer will not receive an Unpaid Item strike and the seller will not receive a Final Value Fee credit. The dispute will be closed immediately after the buyer responds and the seller will not be eligible to re-file an Unpaid Item dispute for that transaction.

If the buyer does not respond to the email or pop-up message within 7 days then the seller will be able to close the dispute. The seller will receive a Final Value Fee credit and the buyer will not receive a strike.

3) Item Dispute Communication

The buyer is presented with several response options to communicate to the seller:

I want to pay now. Paying for the item will close the dispute. For listings where PayPal is available, the buyer just has to pay using PayPal to close the dispute. With other payment methods (such as checks or money orders), the seller is encouraged to wait until payment is received before choosing the appropriate option to close the dispute.

I already paid. If payment has already been made, the buyer may provide details of the payment to the seller for review. The seller can then choose the appropriate option to close the dispute.

Communicate with the seller. The buyer and seller can attempt to resolve the problem by communicating directly through the eBay Web site. eBay will provide a message area where the buyer and seller can communicate with each other without relying on email. The seller can close the dispute at any time by selecting the appropriate closure option.

4) Closing the dispute

The seller can close the dispute after the buyer has responded at least once, or if the buyer does not respond within 8 days. A seller can find all Unpaid Item disputes they have filed in their Dispute Console. The seller has several options to close the dispute:

We've completed the transaction and we're both satisfied. With this option, the seller does not receive a Final Value Fee credit and the buyer does not receive an Unpaid Item strike.

We've agreed not to complete the transaction. With this option, the buyer does not receive an Unpaid Item strike, the seller receives a Final Value Fee credit, and the item is eligible for a relist credit.

I no longer wish to communicate with or wait for the buyer. With this option, the buyer receives an Unpaid Item strike, the seller receives a Final Value Fee credit, and the item is eligible for a relist credit.

Note: A dispute can only be open for 60 days after the transaction date (i.e. the date when the buyer commits to buying the item and the seller commits to selling it). If the seller has not closed the dispute within 60 days, it will be automatically closed. When this automatic closure takes place the seller does not receive a Final Value Fee credit and the buyer does not receive an Unpaid Item strike.

Feedback and Unpaid Items

Buyers and sellers may leave Feedback for each other on transactions involving Unpaid Items even if there was a mutual agreement not to complete the transaction. eBay encourages all users to leave appropriate Feedback about their trading partners.

Unpaid Item strikes do not affect a user's Feedback Score or Feedback Profile.