• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CC Current Auctions

63 posts in this topic

my point in the GA thread is I view auctions as an avenue that allows the market to determine the value (because my opinion of the concept of auctions is to present an item to a pool of bidders that might want that item, start the bidding at nothing and end up at the max price the market will bear at that given time).... otherwise, if you have a set price or min price, just sell it at that set price (cons, websites, BIN ebay, etc)....or start it at that set price...why waste folks times bidding, when they don't know what the reserve is, or if they will meet it (shrug)

to me, having an auction with a reserve, totally defeats the purpose of "auctioning off" that item, if that reserve is never met....how does that allow the market to see the true value (as determined by the bidders)

Does every book in this current auction have a reserve? 13 bids and every single one shows reserve not met :tonofbricks:

I don't think every book does. I'm high bidder on one book, and if it had a reserve it was below market value (and GPA for that matter).

I agree. If you don't want to give it away then start it close to asking price, why p u t z around with a .99c start :screwy:

There are some sweet books but this reserve auction type is nothing more then a showing of books (shrug) and not even close to an auction.

I don't see the problem with a reserve, but I do wish that if a seller has a particular dollar amount in mind then that is the amount with what the auction needs to start.

If they did this then there is no need for a reserve :)

I don't see the problem with a reserve, but I do wish that if a seller has a particular dollar amount in mind then that is the amount with what the auction needs to start.

If they did this then there is no need for a reserve :)

Also, it wouldn't be much of an auction...

Jim

My guess is that since comicconnect is such a new site and that the number of users is so small that a reserve is necessary just so things don't sell for crazy low money due to lack of bidding/visibility.

You can't expect newer consignment/auction websites to reflect the "market" price via auction until the market fully participates in their auctions. ComicLink and Heritage can run no-reserve auctions without fear that books will sell substantially below market because they have built up a sufficient level of participation.

If a less-established seller does the same theing, they just become a place for knowledgable hobbyists to buy bargains for their collection or buy books to flip on eBay or some other established auction venue.

I think in order for comicconnect to gain respect in the marketplace, they have to control the reserve prices. I can understand sellers wanting reserves with this new company, but if they can set any level of reserve, such as a price higher than recent sales data of that book, then I as a buyer will get frustrated. The seller has no risk at all, but the buyer is less likely to bid on it, and it will less likely sell. I emailed them to find out about their policy on reserves, and whether CC will set a limit on the reserve prices. Having no limit on reserves is basically like putting them for sale at BIN, so sellers can list all their books with no risk, and possibly only selling a fraction of them.

I bid on about 15 books, and all but one (x-men 1 in 1.8) had reserves.