• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best idea ever ??? Clear backing boards !!!
1 1

172 posts in this topic

One would think that there would be some sort of link with documentation of Lexan being used by curators, conservators, hell, even picture framers, etc. somewhere but I can't find it. Except for an old bid to replace a plexiglass cover on a display case at a National Park.

How is it that you are certain that they are inert?

Most plastics offgas or leach out chemicals over time in their natural course of decomposition. The process is accelerated by heat. Because you have not seen any deleterious effects in 15 years does not mean that none have occurred. Millions of comic books have been stored in polyethylene and polypropylene bags over the last 15 years and many owners would not be able to notice any appreciable difference from the day they stored them. That doesn't mean that the paper did not yellow and the inks did not dull, It just means that the owner didn't notice it. Additionally, if they used chipboard or even "acid free" at time of manufacture coated SBS boards (which become highly acidic as they age), I can't imagine many owners honestly making that claim as there will definitely be yellowing/fading.

Without having to go back through this thread... did anyone post a picture of CLEARS in action any where here?

Wouldn't mind seeing one in a bag with a book and then out of the bag hm

CLEARS are made out of pure virgin/untreated LEXAN. Basically, the same stuff they use for bullet proof glass in banks and the same as on an F14 fighter jet. CLEARS are not bullet proof but it's the same stuff. The LEXAN you buy in stores is UV treated, some are scratch resistant meaning they are treated. CLEARS are not treated in any way. They are basically INERT, a sheet of air. CLEARS will not crack. (don't try this at home but I would take a nice comic in a clear with mylar, throw it up in the air and the corners would not blunt when they hit the floor.)

This went over well when I did it with a high grade comic like the JUDY OF THE JUNGLE you see in the ads. Again, DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME.

I don't see Lexan at any banks I visit. They all use an Acrylic barrier. Lexan scratches more easily and yellows over time. Lexan (chemically the same as Makrolon) is not inert. It is a polycorbonate. Using a backing board of Lexan defeats all archival reasons for using Mylar. Mylar still makes a book look nicer, but that's not the main reason people use it.

DG

It's been 15 years since LEXAN CLEARS came out. One thing I am certain is they are INERT. I have yet to come across the Makrolon that you are talking about but will look into it.

I don't use CLEARS because they look good, though they do look great. I use them because they keep the books in perfect condition. Mine have been stored in CLEARS for 15 years and there is no yellowing and no scratching on them. Lexan by GE is bulletproof I believe in 1/4 inch thickness.

Lexan is not inert. Find one place on the Library of Congress where they mention anything being archive with Lexan.

DG

Lexan is not inert. Find one place on the Library of Congress where they mention anything being archive with Lexan.

DG

I would not take the lack of mention by the LOC as implicit that Lexan is not inert. I am sure there are several archivally sound materials that the LOC does not mention.

DG

I would not take the lack of mention by the LOC as implicit that Lexan is not inert. I am sure there are several archivally sound materials that the LOC does not mention.

I've read articles which state it is not inert. I wouldn't particularly take the word of someone that is trying to sell me Lexan backing boards. It is against the law for someone to state that the Library of Congress endorses a material, but you will find that the site references BoPET (Biaxially-oriented polyethylene terephthalate) for their archival storage. In other terms... Mylar, Melinex and Hostaphan. These are the most inert & non-reactive plastics.

DG

Edited by dgarthwaite

I would love to see links to articles, pro or con.

I would have to say the guy does not really seem to be "trying" to sell these very hard. I do think he has extended himself on the claims a bit, based on people he talked to at the manufacturer (who are hardly unbiased). And likely based on it being his "baby" 10 years ago.

He surely has not made any money on them in the last year when he started giving away some of his old stock as free samples. I also agree with him that they are likely economically not a viable product except direct online.

NASA gives two relevant number for the offgassing...

LEXAN SHEET

%TML (Total Mass Loss) - 0.17

%CVCM (Collected Volatile Condensable Materials) - 0.01

Can't really locate stats on Mylar D, but from the comparable materials I saw, the TML would probably be higher and the CVCM would likely be 0.00. It is 0.00 for Melinex 1311 film. It appears to me that Mylar is preferred because of the CVCM.

DG

Edited by dgarthwaite

Dave kapelka is the only dealer I know that has used these.

I have about 25-30 of them. If somebody wants to buy them I'd have no problem selling them. They are a little heavy so the shipping cost depending on where you are might be a problem