• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best idea ever ??? Clear backing boards !!!
1 1

172 posts in this topic

The most commonly used mylar bags are 2 mil - even the heavy-duty Archives are "only" 4 mil. Retail prices for mylar have also dropped dramatically since 1998 - if you're buying 2 mil mylars in bulk, you end up paying less than $0.20/bag (depending on the size).

Don't get me wrong here - I would love to have clear, rigid plastic backing boards that I could use for wall books when I'm setting up at shows. I just didn't want your incorrect claims about the archival storage properties of mylar and lexan stand unopposed :thumbsup:

I started using the Ultra Pro Comic Preservers a few years ago. These are very $$ but worth every Penny. Keeps my books very clean and nice and tight. No board touches the book, however the board is inside the sleeve, inside another closed sleeve. They are Acid free and it makes me happy. Most people who get shown these really like them. Now this idea would work with a the clear board of any kind.

FYI if your going to keep your books for value and you care what they look like or how they keep safe. No amount of money is wasted if you keep them safe. To me if you want it to be nice, you have to pay more. If you dont care, then buy the .10cent board in sleeve. But me, I want my books to last too.

I started using the Ultra Pro Comic Preservers a few years ago. These are very $$ but worth every Penny. Keeps my books very clean and nice and tight. No board touches the book, however the board is inside the sleeve, inside another closed sleeve. They are Acid free and it makes me happy. Most people who get shown these really like them. Now this idea would work with a the clear board of any kind.

FYI if your going to keep your books for value and you care what they look like or how they keep safe. No amount of money is wasted if you keep them safe. To me if you want it to be nice, you have to pay more. If you dont care, then buy the .10cent board in sleeve. But me, I want my books to last too.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the Ultra Pro Comic Preservers are an awful product.

The bags are made from polypropylene - polypropylene in its uncoated and untreated form is considered to be archival quality, but in order to seal polypropylene bags, you need to add an additive called PVDC. PVDC is a relative of PVC and will off-gas and degrade over time - through the addition of PVDC, the entire bag becomes unsafe for archival storage.

The board that's sealed inside the bag is also a regular, coated-on-one-side backing board which is only acid-free at time of manufacture and will break down over time.

If you're looking for real acid-free & archival-safe comic book storage, there's only one option - a mylar bag with a true acid-free backing board.

I'm interested in not long-term storage but how to best display a book for SHORT-TERM storage and for resale.

A problem at conventions is pulling a book in and out of its bag repeatedly for potential buyers to look at. This may be a good idea for high value books but for books less than $100, it's frequently not necessary.

If you can clearly see the back cover through Lexan, but have the rigidity of a fullback (which is only 42 mil vs the 60 mil we're talking about with Lexan), that would potentially be a good way to display and protect rack books.

Shin, the clear backing boards are a wonderful idea for showing books at shows.

One thing to be aware of is that they will hide some defects the way Mylar will, meaning if there is a non colour breaking crease or a subtle stain it may now show up through the Mylar or the clear backer but it will show up when the book is held raw, in hand.

Still, it does make for a very attractive set up. If you read from the beginning of this thread, they've been used by dealers for a few years now.

The other trade off is weight. They are extremely heavy compared to backing boards.

Still, they do look super.

I've seen them before. The guy at North Coast had some of his nicer books with them at the last Chicago show I went to. They were VERY thick and he said they were pretty pricey, but it was nice because you could get a good look at the book without have to pull them out of the mylar.

Yes - the guy was having them custom made for his own use, but was going to stop because his supplier was raising his prices for the lucite. I bought a GA book off him at NYCC '11 partially just to get one of his cool boards.

I've seen them before. The guy at North Coast had some of his nicer books with them at the last Chicago show I went to. They were VERY thick and he said they were pretty pricey, but it was nice because you could get a good look at the book without have to pull them out of the mylar.

Yes - the guy was having them custom made for his own use, but was going to stop because his supplier was raising his prices for the lucite. I bought a GA book off him at NYCC '11 partially just to get one of his cool boards.

Dave was also selling the boards and bought about 100 of them but like you said, he stopped selling them.

Holy smokes, my inbox is flooded! lol Thanks for the offers to pay shipping but that's on me, thanks. I'll get them out asap. Some folks are mentioning what books they would like to use them on. I'll have to see what sizes I have around, and try to send you the right one, but THIS, I can't promise. I think I only have the 30 mil in Gold, Bronze and Diamond age (I call modern age books DIAMOND AGE) I'm not sure what the 60 mils are. I used to have 48 sizes and I know I dont' have all those sizes right now. I only have what I had left over NOS when I sold the idea. I will however send you a 60 and 30 mil full size example so you can get at least an idea of what they are. I am looking forward to the follow-ups!

Here is a part of the pamphlet I used to send out with each order.clears4edited.jpg

Bonus pics of comics with mylar bag & lexan backing

all-winners-19-21-sn.jpg

exciting.jpg

Edited by casarachi

Hey guys/gals, I just got those samples out to ya, sorry for the delay, I was trying to find other sizes to send more of a group, but I did get 3 out to each of you. 2 are 30 mil and 1 60 mil. (the 2 30 mil are I believe GOLD 1 and GOLD 2. (I personally would prefer 60 mil with a golden age comic), however due to weight concerns, many dealers would probably not want 60 mil, unless it were for the most valuable books.. But some will say, they do the trick, resembling more cheap cardboard in rigidness, actually a little better IMO but they look great in comparison. These would be fine for golden age books valued in the $50-300 range. Anything over, I would probably use the 60 mil), The 60 mil sample is unfortunately, the MAGAZINE size CLEAR. This is just what I could find in my "old stock/inventory". I guess i sold out of the "standard/more in demand" sizes. The reason why I am partial to 60 mil is, they keep the spine rock solid. Anything that can potentially bend, is not a good thing for a backing board. But to fight weight and cost concerns, the reasoning is sound using 30 mil.

WHAT IS IMPORTANT TO NOTE USING 60 MIL IS, THEY DO NOT BEND and TAKE GETTING USED TO. THEY DO NOT "GIVE", so BE VERY CAREFUL INSERTING A BOOK with a 60 MIL. (THERE IS NO "FORGIVENESS" in that your book will not bend(EVEN SLIGHTLY) on 60 mil, and mylar can also be very sharp because it's so thin, so just be careful. Once you get used to it, it's easy. USE 60 MIL WITH CAUTION. Some say the edges can be sharp, but the edges never touch your comic. Your comic should not "go over" the edge. If it does, then it's the wrong size backing.

I noted on the old order form which pieces were sent to you. Again, this was old

inventory, so the pieces you are testing are about 15 years or older! (so this will tell you how well they held up). NOTE!!!!!!! Even the 30 mil samples have 2 plastic film overlays to protect the lexan.(one on each side, you may not realize this when you first get them) (to be honest, I'm not sure if the 30 mil are in fact lexan they might have been made by DUPONT. I took what my supplier had on hand. They were selling really well and I only created the 30 mil because that's what a lot of people asked for. They are lighter, but not rigid. Note:, on the 30 mil.The film is not color/labeled as is the 60 mil. Make sure you remove the film on both sides of the CLEARS.

Again, many thanks for letting me send these out to you and I hope you find them in the least, entertaining and who knows, possibly you might find it as good idea as I when I first came up with it. I hope you have some fun with them.

Edited by casarachi

Incredible! I sent out all those completely FREE ORIGINAL & HISTORICAL Backing boards to all who simply asked and not one person has the courtesy to post, not even a thank you but they suck.... so that must mean you're all simply blown away cause they're so awesome. I know. It was my idea.

Edited by casarachi

Woah, my original post from 5 years ago got bumped and I just happened to see it!

:banana:

But seriously, I ended up getting a bunch of clear back boards off Tanglewood42 here on the boards. I use them with 2 mil mylars for my best books, and I must say it is awesome to be able to check out a book front and back. They look awesome.

Incredible! I sent out all those completely FREE ORIGINAL & HISTORICAL Backing boards to all who simply asked and not one person has the courtesy to post, not even a thank you but they suck.... so that must mean you're all simply blown away cause they're so awesome. I know. It was my idea.

In any case I would definitely be interested in buying more of these.

What I created and what you bought, may look similar but they are not. What I sent people is the real thing, the original.

Did you ask me to send you a sample, as posted in this YOUR thread? Did you end up getting any samples from me in the mail for free including free shipping? I spent over $100 just for the mailings and I don't even qualify for a common courtesy response? Geepers creepers.

If you didn't ask for them, then obviously you don't apply to the aspect of my posting.

But you are right, it's a great idea. Thanks.

Edited by casarachi

What I created and what you bought, may look similar but they are not. What I sent people is the real thing, the original.

Did you ask me to send you a sample, as posted in this YOUR thread? Did you end up getting any samples from me in the mail for free including free shipping? I spent over $100 just for the mailings and I don't even qualify for a common courtesy response? Geepers creepers.

If you didn't ask for them, then obviously you don't apply to the aspect of my posting.

But you are right, it's a great idea. Thanks.

Hmmm, dude are you upset at me? I totally wasn't trying to be contrary to your post at all. If anything I was supporting your product and encouraging others to try it. Not quite understanding who this post was directed at.

Hey Avenger, you are the one who created the post that I sent out a bunch of samples to those who asked. You obviously didn't ask me for any or you would have gotten them from me. I am not upset at you in the least. Just those who did not continue the topic/discussion in reference to the product we were having the discussion. The ownership of CLEARS, THE ORIGINAL TRASPARENT BACKING BOARDS reverted back to me years ago after those who bought it failed to market it in the time specified. (this was back in the late 1990's) however I just haven't had the time to invest... and I figured for the sake of the naysayers to let my books sit in CLEARS to see the reaction over those years. They look like they did then. No ill effects whatsover in fact it has been "perfect" storage. I had about 30,000 left overs after the sale. These are made from PURE, UN-ALDULTERATED LEXAN. I used to buy massive quantity and get them professionally cut. And sell them at less than the cost you could buy it at but you would also have to cut it up. Cutting up 100 sheets at a time, in one cut is more accurate than trying to cut up a single thin piece. OK Avenger, no, I am not upset at you. Great original post!

To those who are new to this thread. They used to cost $3 each for 60 mi(rigid) and $1.50 for the 30mil(flop)(read the previous posts for more info) but yeah, I will re-release if there is considerable interest. I remember I sold over 5000 (60 mil) at the BIG APPLE COMIC CON back in those days. That was a lot to carry for me in my car when I first released. They are 1/4 each for 60 mil and 1/8lb 30 mil.