• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action 7 at Heritage goes for 143,000 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

293 posts in this topic

I don't know whether Eides is correct or not with one, all or none of his assessments, but I don't believe the facts as we know them accurately point to a reaction that this is only about sour grapes.

To be sure Eides did not help his case by his posts on the boards here, but in light of the uncontested history that he was actively contacting people from literally day one expressing concerns that something was wrong with one or more of the books would tend to discount the sour grapes theory. This was before Todd purchased the books and certainly weeks before they were sold for such large sums of money.

Now, I'm aware of all sorts of theories about his motives and his background, as well as many of the conspiracy theories as to where these books went afterwards and what/who happened to them, but my point is that I don't think the evidence supports either side's assessment at this time, and I don't think it is fair or appropriate to publicly speculate otherwise.

The call-back number is wrong. The right one could have been cleaned off, but if so, why leave the wrong one?

Jeff,

If someone can show how this book is not the Larson copy within the next 48 hours, they can have it for free.

It has the same number as the Larson Action #1. If what believe is correct, then the Larson Action #1 is not the Larson Action #1.

S

OOH, a contest! (thumbs u

I like contests with a prize. :banana:

Am I too late to guess and win the book? (shrug)

but my point is that I don't think the evidence supports either side's assessment at this time, and I don't think it is fair or appropriate to publicly speculate otherwise.

I think failing to respond to his opinion of these books is to allow him to tarnish their reputation in the marketplace.

but my point is that I don't think the evidence supports either side's assessment at this time, and I don't think it is fair or appropriate to publicly speculate otherwise.

I think failing to respond to his opinion of these books is to allow him to tarnish their reputation in the marketplace.

I agree. That's the only reason I am allowing him to return to The Corral; to either put up or shut up. Given his ongoing allegations, the burden is on him to offer the proof.

Judging from what he has said and posted so far in the way of proof, he doesn't have enough to back up his full story.

Now granted, I didn't exactly make things hospitible for him and neither did this Forum, so I can understand if he is reluctant to lay all of his cards out on the table in an internet discussion board. But I was thinking about it and my thought is, where else does he have to go to state his case?

As an outside party to all of this (having passed on the books), he has no legal recourse, so again, where else can he go to tell his tale?

I hope that he will lay all of his cards on the table, and soon, because the way its looking, he's going to get banned at The Corral too (having been previously banned as "Paul A.).

I suppose he could always call Mike Wallace...

But that's not at all what I'm saying.

By all means anyone and everyone should substantively challenge his, or anyone's, opinions about whether the books are trimmed, the events in question and the chain of possession of the sales of the books. As I said, Eides certainly did not help himself by the nature and tone of his posts, not to mention that certain legitimate questions went unanswered.

What I am saying, however, is that simply because he did a poor job of handling himself on the boards does not equate to the conclusion that he has targeted these books out of sour grapes (which would apparently include the four employees he has who are said to support his view).

I view that as unfairly speculative, especially when that opinion, as expressed by many, is primarily on the basis of text posted on these boards rather than any personal experience with any of the key players.

To say his opinion is wrong, and that the evidence doesn't persuade you (and "you" is generic), is perfectly fine and absolutely understandable based on the facts as they are known to be, it is the personal motivational criticisms that I am addressing.

I can certainly see why people think the Det 27 is trimmed. Looking at the lower right front corner, it looks like the bottom edge of the cover is not a straight line. Now this is just a scan so you can't say anything definite, but it certainly looks odd to me in the scan.

27-corner-front.jpg

But that's not at all what I'm saying.

By all means anyone and everyone should substantively challenge his, or anyone's, opinions about whether the books are trimmed, the events in question and the chain of possession of the sales of the books. As I said, Eides certainly did not help himself by the nature and tone of his posts, not to mention that certain legitimate questions went unanswered.

What I am saying, however, is that simply because he did a poor job of handling himself on the boards does not equate to the conclusion that he has targeted these books out of sour grapes (which would apparently include the four employees he has who are said to support his view).

I view that as unfairly speculative, especially when that opinion, as expressed by many, is primarily on the basis of text posted on these boards rather than any personal experience with any of the key players.

To say his opinion is wrong, and that the evidence doesn't persuade you (and "you" is generic), is perfectly fine and absolutely understandable based on the facts as they are known to be, it is the personal motivational criticisms that I am addressing.

I get your meaning, Mark, and frankly, to me his motivation is the least important aspect of the situation. What's important is that in the eyes of people far more qualified to recognize resto and/or trimming, the books are fine.

That being said, having had dinner the other night with a pretty bright group of long-time dealers and collectors, the unanimous feeling was that Eides just can't get over that he let all that cash walk out the door of his store.

I can certainly see why people think the Det 27 is trimmed. Looking at the lower right front corner, it looks like the bottom edge of the cover is not a straight line. Now this is just a scan so you can't say anything definite, but it certainly looks odd to me in the scan.

27-corner-front.jpg

Also, the book appears to have a stain on the BRHC. Wonder how many grades CGC deducted (if any) because of this? Wonder if its even noted in the notes? Usually they would hammer a book with stains.

Rather than focusing on Mr. Eides' motives, I tried to see if the visual evidence that we have backs up his allegations. Because of my familiarity with pre-hero Tecs, I focused on the questioned pre-hero Tecs that were in the last Heritage and Clink auctions. Because these books are alleged to have been trimmed, I compared them to the Church and other copies to see if they were indeed "smaller" as Mr. Eides claims. Ironically enough, what I found is that, in most cases, the challenged books actually have a little bit MORE paper. In other words, they appear to be a tiny bit wider and taller than the books I compared them to.

Does this mean that none of the 70 books sold were trimmed? No, of course not. But it does raise questions about the allegations.

Rather than focusing on Mr. Eides' motives, I tried to see if the visual evidence that we have backs up his allegations. Because of my familiarity with pre-hero Tecs, I focused on the questioned pre-hero Tecs that were in the last Heritage and Clink auctions. Because these books are alleged to have been trimmed, I compared them to the Church and other copies to see if they were indeed "smaller" as Mr. Eides claims. Ironically enough, what I found is that, in most cases, the challenged books actually have a little bit MORE paper. In other words, they appear to be a tiny bit wider and taller than the books I compared them to.

Does this mean that none of the 70 books sold were trimmed? No, of course not. But it does raise questions about the allegations.

I did the exact same thing, only not with the MH (I don't have easy access to them :baiting: )

but, in looking at old heritage scans, I can see NO evidence of trimming from jpgs

rick

Because these books are alleged to have been trimmed, I compared them to the Church and other copies to see if they were indeed "smaller" as Mr. Eides claims. Ironically enough, what I found is that, in most cases, the challenged books actually have a little bit MORE paper. In other words, they appear to be a tiny bit wider and taller than the books I compared them to.

I agree. I have seen other books with "less paper" or perhaps better stated, less artwork evident or poorer justification.

Lots of them (questions). And Mr. Eide is not being forthcoming with his information or "proof". But he does swear up and down that he has said proof. And Todd isn't saying a word. Who can blame him?

But I'm certainly not going to lose any more sleep over it. If Eide was serious, and had said proof, one would think that after over five months, he would have been able to present it in such a way as to raise serious doubts about these books.

At this point, it's obvious that he can't.

27-corner-front.jpg

I cant see the sense in trimming the edge of the book and purposely leaving the paper booger hang. Far, far more likely is that it happened in manufacturing with a dull razor on the cutter which caused both the uneven cut as well as the paper hang.

hers another angle to the whole story Im thinking about. With the extra paper hanging out of the book, this has to be the single most recognizable copy of Tec27, right?. So, have any long term dealers or players in the hobby recognized the book? No right? Interesting. Because that supports the "attic find" aspect of the case. I dont necessarily believe it was in an "attic" since we say that all the time its a cliche now.... But this Tec27 has been out of sight for (perhaps) longer then we have had a hobby, suggesting an original owner collection,

If not, someone sold this copy to the owner and would remember seeing it at some point.