• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does anybody add books they have cracked out of slabs to their registry set?

53 posts in this topic

I have several books (most of them, in fact) that I have cracked out of their slab to read. I was thinking it was probably a no-no to add a cracked slab to my registry set, but thought I'd ask and see what others thought.

Thanks.

I have several books (most of them, in fact) that I have cracked out of their slab to read. I was thinking it was probably a no-no to add a cracked slab to my registry set, but thought I'd ask and see what others thought.

Thanks.

I did it with one book so far...seems ok to me.. ;)

Oh no you don't. Once you crack the case open, the given grade is NULL and VOID ! The registry is for slabbed books and SLABBED books only. If you cracked open the case of a registered book, please remove it from the registry, NOW ! :whistle:

In all seriousness, that's kind of what I was thinking and that's what I've been doing. I've got about 15 - 20 graded books that I cracked out to read once and then figured I probably shouldn't add them to my registry set.

If I could add those books in, heck I might break into the top 700. :insane:

Oh no you don't. Once you crack the case open, the given grade is NULL and VOID ! The registry is for slabbed books and SLABBED books only. If you cracked open the case of a registered book, please remove it from the registry, NOW ! :whistle:

In all seriousness, that's kind of what I was thinking and that's what I've been doing. I've got about 15 - 20 graded books that I cracked out to read once and then figured I probably shouldn't add them to my registry set.

If I could add those books in, heck I might break into the top 700. :insane:

That tells me you are a person with good morals. (thumbs u

Seems okay to me, as long as you remove the book from your registry if you sell it.

I agree - it's your book whether it's (still) in the slab or not. What pisses me off is people who don't remove their books from the registry when those books have long since been sold - a nice case in point is the top 3 Miracleman set:

http://www.collectors-society.com/registry/comics/PeopleSetDetail.aspx?PeopleSetID=3227

He even states that he doesn't own these books anymore, yet they're still listed? Lame.

I don't see what the problem would be. I've been thinking for the past few weeks that CGC should grade books but not encase them in a slab just so one could get a registry score (at a slightly reduced rate for the cost of the actual slab). I have 6 White Mountain TTA's that will never make it to my registry set as I don't feel like spending $35 a book just to get a number and crack them out again.

It doesn't matter what you've done with the slab, at one time CGC deemed your book a 9.4, it doesn't magically become a 9.0 because you've opened it and deserves to still be in your registry set.

Jim

An interesting case came up for me this week. I was the winner of the ComicLink auction for the Green River copy of Daredevil #29 CGC 9.6. My check cleared last week (Feb 21) but the book hasn't arrived yet. But I figured I'd won the auction, my check cleared and I'd try entering the book into my registry set.

I did, the note came up that it was still entered in someone else's registry at the moment and I'd have to await approval for the transfer. The next day, the book was sitting in my registry set. Good, nothing unusual.

The next day, I find that the book has been sucked back out of my registry set by the former owner Colorado Comics. He had taken the position that he was not going to allow "transfer of ownership" of an expensive comic until he got paid by Josh. It was news to me that there was any risk of any kind involved in transferring registry points. They don't really mean anything in the real world.

My position is that once I pay for the book, and at the very least, when it's in my hands, it's mine. Whatever arrangement Scott has with Josh has nothing to do with me. Now, we're talking about 320 registry points (out of CC's 179,000 odd pts) which in the real world is only symbolic. Registry points have no monetary value, the registry is an abstract kind of measuring stick only and has nothing to do with actual ownership. To equate it with say, the title to a car or house or any kind of legal symbol of ownership seems totally whacky.

I say, once you send a book to your agent, the agent sells the book through an auction, the buyers check clears...then it might be time to lighten up a little. Let ... it....go. Go take a walk, get some fresh air and try to relax.

Red

Once it's gone, it's gone. That type of reaction seems a little odd on his part. I have sold books on time payments and still let people transfer them out of my registry set even before they are paid in full. That seems wacky.