• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does anybody add books they have cracked out of slabs to their registry set?

53 posts in this topic

What I don't understand is the idea that the book being in a certain registry set somehow defines a legal claim toward ownership.

If you so desired, you could go through eBay all day long registering books that don't belong to you and no one would be the wiser until they tried to register the same book.

I can see your point in regards to the points system. My argument is meant to lean more towards maintaining the integrity of the census. Ive seen instances where the census number of a certain grade of certain comic issues, has been used when determining the value or, should I say, selling price, of a book. I think it helps us, as collectors, to keep the census as accurate as possible. (shrug)

In other words, if a book is deslabbed, the deslabber should notify CGC so that the book can be removed from the census. :whistle:

edited

I feel a non-slabbed registry set would be equally/potentially more exciting, there are a lot of books out there not getting slabbed that would be great to see. Since the books aren't as protected as a slabbed book, there would be the negated grade if there were any change in condition, but it could be recorded for initial registry purposes.

Get a couple of competant graders together(I know a few), minimized grading costs, and we have a ^^

Note: I believe there is/was a grading company that did a less involved slabbing process(mylar sealed with a sticker of some sort?).

I feel a non-slabbed registry set would be equally/potentially more exciting, there are a lot of books out there not getting slabbed that would be great to see. Since the books aren't as protected as a slabbed book, there would be the negated grade if there were any change in condition, but it could be recorded for initial registry purposes.

Get a couple of competant graders together(I know a few), minimized grading costs, and we have a ^^

Note: I believe there is/was a grading company that did a less involved slabbing process(mylar sealed with a sticker of some sort?).

It would be nice to possibly bring out some of those hidden issues that everyone suspects but have never been seen. (thumbs u

I know of at least one person with an impressive registry set, that's sold off almost their entire collection, and is actively trying to sell the rest

I've bought a few of these books, sometimes as 2nd or 3rd owner after the original sell off, and they are still registered to the original seller when I add them to my set.

no problems transferring over though

What was kind of jarring was that I was initially able to transfer the book over to my registry set, and then this guy decided it was important to pull the book back out of my set. That's something else entirely.

I guess he just wants every single point for as long as possible.......... :P

Got a question.. How does CGC figure out how much registry points is placed on a particular book? I have a couple of books that I feel should earn more points based on rarity and historical significance

This is a good question. I wish I could answer it. (shrug)

Seems okay to me, as long as you remove the book from your registry if you sell it.

I agree - it's your book whether it's (still) in the slab or not. What pisses me off is people who don't remove their books from the registry when those books have long since been sold - a nice case in point is the top 3 Miracleman set:

http://www.collectors-society.com/registry/comics/PeopleSetDetail.aspx?PeopleSetID=3227

He even states that he doesn't own these books anymore, yet they're still listed? Lame.

Charming. This is my registry set. I sold most of the books because I lost my job and became very ill, nearly dying. Updating the CGC registry wasn't a key priority but I'll get on to it right now.

Very sorry to hear about your misfortune, but assuming mschmidt is not a clairvoyant, you can't really accuse him of insensitivity.

The important thing is that you are recovered and back. Stay well!

Red

sorry to hear that Ewan, and just to be clear it wasn't Ewan I was referring to in my original post.

I know how much coming down with a serious illness can impact on your life, it hit me VERY hard 18 months ago, and there's no recovering from mine, just dealing with it on a day to day basis.

I have been having a garage sale lately,unloading about 50 books on the C-Link auctions.When the auction ends,I remove the books because I know the books are no longer mine.I wish some people would do the same.I bet at least 10% of the registry are books that no longer belong to the owner, and the new owner never registers.Some clowns like to have a great cyberspace set,others try to do the right thing...

Seems okay to me, as long as you remove the book from your registry if you sell it.

I agree - it's your book whether it's (still) in the slab or not. What pisses me off is people who don't remove their books from the registry when those books have long since been sold - a nice case in point is the top 3 Miracleman set:

http://www.collectors-society.com/registry/comics/PeopleSetDetail.aspx?PeopleSetID=3227

He even states that he doesn't own these books anymore, yet they're still listed? Lame.

Charming. This is my registry set. I sold most of the books because I lost my job and became very ill, nearly dying. Updating the CGC registry wasn't a key priority but I'll get on to it right now.

I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune, but it still doesn't change the fact that you had time to update the description of your set to read that you had sold almost all the books, yet you didn't remove the books themselves.