• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week Back From CGC
46 46

17,958 posts in this topic

That's a knockout! :o

And I saved the best for last--gradewise. From 1955 Superboy 40. I was pleasantly surprised with the grade Superboy40-1.jpg

MIS34-1.jpg

This was the only book I was disappointed with. Not with the grade; I expected an 8.0 but it was sold to me by Gary Carter as the Church copy and CGC determined that it wasn't. Oh well, it's still a nice book with a great Gil Kane art and black cover

Great book ! Regarding CGC not recognizing it as a Church copy, I believe they have a cutoff, datewise, for each pedigree. This happened to me on some Mass pedigrees from the 80's which they did not recognize.

MIS34-1.jpg

This was the only book I was disappointed with. Not with the grade; I expected an 8.0 but it was sold to me by Gary Carter as the Church copy and CGC determined that it wasn't. Oh well, it's still a nice book with a great Gil Kane art and black cover

:cloud9: I think the only cure for your disappointment is to sell this as quickly as possible to a Canuck :baiting:

Seriously, beautiful comic (thumbs u

MIS34-1.jpg

:cloud9: I think the only cure for your disappointment is to sell this as quickly as possible to a Canuck :baiting:

Seriously, beautiful comic (thumbs u

Yes, a friend of mine e-mailed me the MH list. However, Carter sold the book to me and he claimed he bought it directly from Chuch Rozanski. At next year's San Diego Comic-Con I'll ask him. He always has a large booth there. Although Carter's prices on his MH books were pricey even for the era (early 1990s) he always struck me as sincere and honest. He was the editor of the Comic Book Market Place fanzine for many years. He's not involved with the hobby any more as far as I know. The last I heard is that he's a junior college insturctor in the San Diego area. I bought a Detective Comics book from him that he claimed that was the MH copy and it did receive the MH designation from CGC at the time of submission. According to Gemma at CGC the interior pages of the Church copies have a distinctive smell to them. And the pages of the MIS 34 did not give off that distinctive smell and the Detective Comics did. I'm not able to determine the smell myself; I have a very poor sense of smell having been born with a deviated septum

(Look it up on Wikipedia)

That's a knockout! :o

And I saved the best for last--gradewise. From 1955 Superboy 40. I was pleasantly surprised with the grade Superboy40-1.jpg
Are you referring to the book or to Lana Lang? Yep, she's a cutie all right! (lol)

Super nice Steve!

I bought a Detective Comics book from him that he claimed that was the MH copy and it did receive the MH designation from CGC at the time of submission. According to Gemma at CGC the interior pages of the Church copies have a distinctive smell to them. And the pages of the MIS 34 did not give off that distinctive smell and the Detective Comics did.

i had a similar situation w/ an ASM #30 Green River. Haspel told me it had the same aroma as a couple of other ASM's i submitted at the same time which weren't Greenies. At some point i will appeal to a higher authority because according to RedHook, the date stamp is definitive proof it's a GR.

Lovely books, btw.

Detective230-1.jpg I believe there are 11 copies of this book in the census. Second highest graded. I may be wrong but I'm slowly arriving to the conclusion that a 1950s DC in 8.0 is tantamount to a mid and late 1960s 9.4 and above. Obviously that goes for the 1970s books and beyond.

That is stunning!

Finally got around to scanning some recent highlights:

ASM129_96.jpg

dd158_96.jpg

bat232_96.jpg

[font:Book Antiqua]Fantastic...

Congratulations....[/font]

:o

:golfclap:

Love your copy of Batman 232. Puts my copy to shame--even though my copy iisn't that bad, it ain't no 9.6. Also, I think it's one of the great Batman stories ever written. I never tire of reading it.

Congrats!

SLR

Finally got around to scanning some recent highlights:

ASM129_96.jpg

dd158_96.jpg

bat232_96.jpg

[font:Book Antiqua]Fantastic...

Congratulations....[/font]

:o

:golfclap:

Love your copy of Batman 232. Puts my copy to shame--even though my copy iisn't that bad, it ain't no 9.6. Also, I think it's one of the great Batman stories ever written. I never tire of reading it.

Congrats!

SLR

Very nice. (worship)