• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week Back From CGC
46 46

17,943 posts in this topic

Got these two backlast week. first books that i had graded in well over a year.

the grading forum had pegged the TOS 40 at close to a 5.0 (even after i explained there was a 1 and a half inch spine split on the bottom, but i didn't mention the two tiny pieces of tape on the interior covers.) Oh well, it is what it is. Sold within 2 days of posting on CLink.

the IM #1 is up there now.

Notice that both of these are obviously new labels and both have grading notes!!!! (I'd thought it had been established that notes were pretty much in the past except for restoration on the new labels??)

IronMan.jpg

Javits2024.jpg

Got these two backlast week. first books that i had graded in well over a year.

the grading forum had pegged the TOS 40 at close to a 5.0 (even after i explained there was a 1 and a half inch spine split on the bottom, but i didn't mention the two tiny pieces of tape on the interior covers.) Oh well, it is what it is. Sold within 2 days of posting on CLink.

the IM #1 is up there now.

Notice that both of these are obviously new labels and both have grading notes!!!! (I'd thought it had been established that notes were pretty much in the past except for restoration on the new labels??)

IronMan.jpg

Javits2024.jpg

Nice!

Interesting - maybe CGC is bowing to public pressure? Too many buyers cracking open books and finding surprises?

The TOS notes are what you might find on a GLOD or PLOD but it is a defect acceptable in that grade. Maybe that's the reason? As for the IM, it's more like a GLOD notation. I don't think this signals a trend to notes on blue labels.

Interesting - maybe CGC is bowing to public pressure? Too many buyers cracking open books and finding surprises?

Hopefully, it's something we'll be seeing a lot more of, going forward.

Now, if we can just get the alphabetic grade nomenclature back. :wishluck:

So, arguendo, is my 9.4 better than Harry's 9.4? :grin:

So, arguendo, is my 9.4 better than Harry's 9.4? :grin:

lol Interesting question, to be sure.

One would think that a Blue Label with notes signifies that the grade assigned took into account the defects which are hidden, yet noted on the label. as such, i have to believe that the IM 1 was an otherwise 9.6 that got dropped to a 9.4 due to the slight tanning.

nothing else makes any sense to me.

but, quite frankly, mentioning certain defects and not others, makes little or no sense to me either, UNLESS it's a significant hidden defect.

having said that, MY beautiful JIM 83 sits in a CGC blue label with a 6.5 on it despite looking like an 8.0. the big defect is a piece out of an interior page margin. i would have thought this to be a reasonable example of why a note would be useful to clear up the discrepancy between how the book appears and the assigned grade..... (shrug)