• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week Back From CGC
46 46

17,950 posts in this topic

Kinda bummed about this one, thought for sure it would get 9.2 or 9.4, gonna consider pressing it.

Grader Notes: Bottom Back Cover small bend, left center back cover finger bends, and finally spine stress lines breaks color.

asm300_zpsmksyg70g.jpg

This grade only suffered from the spine issues with DC's super duper premium paper :grin:

darkknight1_zpsxw7ybi5q.jpg

Your graders notes tell me that it isnt going to press up. Finger bends almost ALWAYS break color, and multiple CB stress lines.

Oh okay. I have never sent anything off to be pressed. I have myself just honestly started to really research it, so any advice is appreciated, so thank you!

My first shipment with the new CGC cases:

Always confounded by CGC with books that are numbered. Sometimes I get a Blue Label and sometimes a Qualified Label. Wish they were consistent. :frustrated:

GFT61SDCGC98QC.jpg

GFT61SDCGC98QB.jpg

XM5VCGC96.jpg

XM5VCGC96B.jpg

WD100SCGC96.jpg

WD100SCGC96B.jpg

Not understanding your frustration with the "green label."

It has been pretty obvious for years.

That "55" if not green labeled would be in a 8.5/9.0 Blue label if you want them to downgrade for it.

That "55" if not green labeled would be in a 8.5/9.0 Blue label if you want them to downgrade for it.

That is exactly my point. Sometimes you get a downgraded blue label and sometimes you get a qualified green label. There is no consistency. CGC needs to choose one way or the other.

That is exactly my point. Sometimes you get a downgraded blue label and sometimes you get a qualified green label. There is no consistency. CGC needs to choose one way or the other.

I think Green Label flaws in general can go Blue or Green depending on the situation. I think CGC tries to give you the best option. In this case, I'm sure they thought a 9.8 Green would be better then a 9.0 Blue (just guessing on the grade). Sounds reasonable to me.

Just because you don't understand the criteria doesn't mean it's not consistent :shrug:

If the qualified defect would cause a significant grade drop - green label by default.

If the qualified defect doesn't really impact the grade - eg. a missing coupon on a book that's already low grade - blue label by default.

The only exception to this is if the submitter specifically requests a blue label on what would otherwise be a high grade qualified book - the book then gets the blue label and the qualified defect causes a significant grade drop.

I just scrawl "no green labels" on my invoices, and I never get them.

I just scrawl "no green labels" on my invoices, and I never get them.

That seems too simple.

Just because you don't understand the criteria doesn't mean it's not consistent :shrug:

If the qualified defect would cause a significant grade drop - green label by default.

If the qualified defect doesn't really impact the grade - eg. a missing coupon on a book that's already low grade - blue label by default.

The only exception to this is if the submitter specifically requests a blue label on what would otherwise be a high grade qualified book - the book then gets the blue label and the qualified defect causes a significant grade drop.

I don't understand why they would qualify a book like this that is designed to be numbered as it is. There is a special place printed on the book for the sole purpose of this numbering. It's ludicrous they would consider the book actually being numbered a qualifying (defect). Every one of them was probably numbered. I just don't get this. If I follow the same logic, then every book in their signature series should get a qualified label too. (Same for date stamps.)

I don't understand why they would qualify a book like this that is designed to be numbered as it is. There is a special place printed on the book for the sole purpose of this numbering. It's ludicrous they would consider the book actually being numbered a qualifying (defect). Every one of them was probably numbered. I just don't get this. If I follow the same logic, then every book in their signature series should get a qualified label too. (Same for date stamps.)

Yellow labels are qualified labels. They just aren't green... (that's why you've never seen a yellow label with a green strip at the top when it is a "qualified signature series book" cause it doesnt exist, it's redundant). I had a book already signed by Gil Kane, which downgraded the book to an 8.5 (if I wanted it to be universal) then I got it signed by people via the Sig Series program, and it came back yellow 8.5 with a note of "name written on front cover"

Blank books are designed to be drawn on (just like you said the numbered books are designed to be numbered). Once they are drawn on they are no longer mint. if you drew on one and then sent it in for grading it would either get a green qualified label with a note "drawing on front cover" or get a much lower grade universal label. Only via SS program are signatures and sketches given a non-gree qualified grade (yellow label).

If the manufacturing compan, had done the numbering as part of the SS process with witnesses it would have gotten a yellow label. In fact that's not a bad idea for numbered con exclusives. It the signer is both signing and numbering while being witnessed thru the SS program it gets the yellow label if the person wants to sub it. Problem solved.

And I think they've been consisitent about this for a long time cause there are old Gen13 green labels for some of their numbered covers...

Yellow labels are qualified labels. They just aren't green... (that's why you've never seen a yellow label with a green strip at the top when it is a "qualified signature series book" cause it doesnt exist, it's redundant). I had a book already signed by Gil Kane, which downgraded the book to an 8.5 (if I wanted it to be universal) then I got it signed by people via the Sig Series program, and it came back yellow 8.5 with a note of "name written on front cover"

Blank books are designed to be drawn on (just like you said the numbered books are designed to be numbered). Once they are drawn on they are no longer mint. if you drew on one and then sent it in for grading it would either get a green qualified label with a note "drawing on front cover" or get a much lower grade universal label. Only via SS program are signatures and sketches given a non-gree qualified grade (yellow label).

If the manufacturing compan, had done the numbering as part of the SS process with witnesses it would have gotten a yellow label. In fact that's not a bad idea for numbered con exclusives. It the signer is both signing and numbering while being witnessed thru the SS program it gets the yellow label if the person wants to sub it. Problem solved.

And I think they've been consisitent about this for a long time cause there are old Gen13 green labels for some of their numbered covers...

Interesting point. File that.