• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CELEBRATE THE MANUFACTURING ERRORS
10 10

412 posts in this topic

One of the rarest TMNT books out there:

4misprint92.jpgTales12.jpg

So what happened here? Well, the 2nd printing of TMNT #4 and the first printing of a new Mirage book, Tales of the TMNT #1, were sent to the printer at the same time. Somehow, the image for the Tales cover was used for the cover of the TMNT #4 book. The book then made it into distribution where it was immediately recalled. Almost all of the 60,000 books were then destroyed.

On the right, I've put my Tales of the TMNT #1 raw comic so you can compare to the error. Take notice of the Title logo (where the bottom photo shows the words "Tales of the") and also the Price/Issue box.

Sorry to outgrade you, but here is my copy:

%21Bd0IeggBGk%7E$%28KGrHqIH-C4Ere9thJVUBK6i4jCHmw%7E%7E_3.JPG

and as a shameless plug I have a nice copy of Uncanny x-man with an upside down hologram in my for sale thread:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3605104#Post3605104

:baiting:

These don't actually make it to the comic shops, do they?

Yes, sometimes they do. Formerly working at my LCS, I have seen comics with only half a cover, some miscuts (though not as bad as this) but never thought to save them, much less have one slabbed.

-slym

On the manufacturing error copy (although CGC did not recognize it as such, but would relabel if I sent it back in) - the regular cover is on the inside and reversed.

GUIDEBOOK NORMAL COVER:

Guidebook.jpg

GUIDEBOOK ERROR COVER:

Guidebookerror.jpg

2lbdwkk.jpg

Cool book, but it makes me wonder.. Where do you pick up something this screwed up? The printer's dumpster? These don't actually make it to the comic shops, do they?

I actually picked up a very similar error book a while back, but it was a copy of Archer & Armstrong #2 from Valiant Comics. Believe it or not, it was from a comic shop and the shop owner actually looked at me funny asking me am I sure I wanted that copy. I guess sometimes these books slips through the QA's cracks.

I have these two which are currently in my Ebay store. It was kinda odd when I ran into them. Basically it looks like the books were not cut properly that left all the pages still bound internally together. 1st book is a ASM Annual #10 and the 2nd is a StormWatch #1.

277.jpg

309.jpg

308.jpg

odd2.jpg

odd.jpg

odd3.jpg

odd4.jpg

odd5.jpg

28lxpn9.jpg

that is sweet. without black the cover comes out really abtract and artsy looking. looks like something a 60's pop artist would have done with a classic comic image. lichtenstein is probably upset he didn't think of it.

These are:

:news: Punisher War Journal #30 with an inside-out cover 9.8 white pager!

punisherwarjournalerror30-f.jpg

Nice book!

28lxpn9.jpg

that is sweet. without black the cover comes out really abtract and artsy looking. looks like something a 60's pop artist would have done with a classic comic image. lichtenstein is probably upset he didn't think of it.

P

I

M

P

28lxpn9.jpg

thus far my favorite one.

Not exactly an error, but certainly an interesting manufacturing anomaly.

Here is a 2nd (Don Donahue) printing of Zap Comix #1 - it was assembled and left with uncut interior pages as seen protruding from the top and outer edge:

Zap_Comix_1_2nd_print_CGC_92-1.jpg

I had never confirmed this with Don before his untimely passing, but my hunch was that this was a very early copy from the 2nd print run, which appeased Crumbs wishes for a "darker" orange background and untrimmed border, as is mostly seen with first printing Zap 1's (as seen below):

Zap_Comix1-1.jpg

This is how 2nd (Don Donahue) printings usually look (with no white border) and have not seen another example "manufactured with miscut pages" and border:

65347.jpg