• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First look at the Watchmen Characters...

49 posts in this topic

Trouble with the Watchmen GN is that you needed to be at least a little bit conversant with super-hero comic convention to get it...the makers of this film will assume that the audience knows hardly anything about super-hero comics, and dumb down accordingly.

I don't know exactly what angle they're taking with this one, but prior attempts have done just that, usually replacing large portions of it with a "time travel" shtick, like Back to the Future meets Watchmen.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/watchmennews.php?id=6887

Release date: March 6, 2009

The Comedian:

watchmencomedian.jpg

Nite Owl:

watchmenniteowl.jpg

Ozymandias:

watchmenozymandias.jpg

Rorschach:

watchmenrorschach.jpg

The Silk Spectre:

watchmensilkspectre.jpg

gee, they look fine to me guys... except Ozymandius is weak. Too many schumacher abs ripples/nipples and not enough color. But Comedian is looking good.

I did however expect the characters to me more "real-life" like, and not so costumy superheroey. WATCHMEN reads like the ultimate Superhero story IF superheroes were real. Meaning they live here in real life with us, where costumes look more like Alex Ross paints them with folds in their costume material on imperfect bodies, etc. By treating the story as just a new "superhero-filled universe" adventure Im afraid it moves away from what made it great/diferent to read.

Case in point: will the climactic fight scene we waited 11 issues for still revolve around a thrown dinner plate??? THAT was awesome! THAT was Alan Moores revolutionary writing that set WATCHMEN apart. NOT the costumes, the storyline or the powers or effects.

in the comments below the picks....

Posted by: alan moore on March 6, 2008 at 01:11:54

what the **** is this ****. who designed these that *** joel schu***ger.

lol lol

Didn't realize that was Moore - I just assumed it was another web malcontent.... lol

Andy, it has to be a malc, just one who thought about his login name a little bit.

I'm quite sure AM has nothing to do with this now, other than a few lines of credit on the opening sequences.

And your comments regarding the lineage of the story being lost on 99.9% of the viewing public is spot on. The director may of known about it before hand, but the way the studio's have been grabbing anything Moore, or Miller has ever done in an attempt to show fresh material to the viewing public, shows that they have no regard what so ever for time, and setting into which these great books were released.

You can automaticly assume a great portion of the sub-text will be abliterated on the final production.

...but I'll go see it as well lol

Does anyone know if this is still based on the early adaptation, with time travel as the gist the movie?

i.e. Oz has a time machine, and he's ready to go back to the past and change history, but he needs to eliminate Dr Manhattan so he doesn't stop the plan?

So instead of the squid, he's gonna do something like kill Hitler or shoot Einstein... ??

Andy, it has to be a malc, just one who thought about his login name a little bit. I'm quite sure AM has nothing to do with this now, other than a few lines of credit on the opening sequences.

After I wrote that I immediately realized that of course it could've been anybody... doh!

Does anyone know if this is still based on the early adaptation, with time travel as the gist the movie?

Why do I imagine this scenario:

Studio executive: This story is all out of order. Where's the time machine that they travel back and forth in time in?

Writer: No, Sir. Those are flashbacks.

Exec: But a time machine would make for some great special effects and you know how the public loves special effects.

Writer: Sir, there's no time machine. They're flashbacks. It's a way to show what happened in the past.

Exec: You could do the same thing with a time machine. And with a time machine we could expand the toy line. Make sure you put some scenes in where they travel in the time machine.

Writer: But sir...

Exec: Just do it. If you don't, I got a hundred other guys who will.

Snyder had a ton of freedom on 300, and the studio was well rewarded for his efforts. One would hope the same would hold true for Watchmen. Snyder has shown that he can stick to the tone and look of his source material, so I trust that he won't stray too far from the Watchmen that we all know.

Snyder had a ton of freedom on 300, and the studio was well rewarded for his efforts. One would hope the same would hold true for Watchmen. Snyder has shown that he can stick to the tone and look of his source material, so I trust that he won't stray too far from the Watchmen that we all know.

Ummm, Snyder didn't write or co-write Watchmen. He's just directing this one.

I didn't say he did. I don't know if he'd been hired before or after the -script was completed, but I'm sure he was at least involved with rewrites, even if not credited.

I didn't say he did. I don't know if he'd been hired before or after the -script was completed, but I'm sure he was at least involved with rewrites, even if not credited.

The -script, basic take, and any revamps were done and signed off before Snyder came on, and believe me, if that guy wrote a single word, he'd get a credit. :insane:

And my point, which you glossed over, is that he DID co-write 300. :makepoint:

Didn't Miller produce his own stuff though? I always thought his stuff was verytrue to form for that reason. Ronin is probably going to ROCK as well.

I was excited about this but this does not leave me with hi hopes. I'm reading Watchmen as we speak for the first time in it's entirety.

R.

Didn't Miller produce his own stuff though?

Yep, and the studio actually gave him a lot of power for what appeared on the screen.

Has anyone ever looked at Snyder's bio? Other than the passable DotD remake and 300, he's done squat.

Rorschach looks too clean.

I don't think this is going to be any good. I imagine it will totally miss/ignore/avoid the point of the comic series.

PS Alan Moore, from what I understand, doesn't even have internet access.

Obviously the action aspect of the story has been upped for the movie. I think this movie will be ok tho. Dumbed down but pretty much all of Alan Moore's material has to be to make it to the big screen :shrug:

Well, seriously, even if you took the Black Freighter stuff and the text excerpt stuff out of the series, how many pages would you be looking at? 200? 250? How the heck could they ever get all of it in there, even in 120 minutes?

I doubt I will see it, but in any case the best they can shoot for is to be true to the overall spirit of the series, and not make it suck too badly. Anything above that would be exceptional