• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your newest Pedigrees....

732 posts in this topic

Interesting, the art looks like uninked pencils there. I'm not sure I've noticed that on a GA cover before. Nice book.

Thanks. I'm not sure of the process (calling Scrooge, Adamstrange, etc..), but it looks to me to be the same as what Flessel used on Adventure #42.

Very cool cover!

It looks like charcoal on a textured board, similar to Adv 42.

Interesting, the art looks like uninked pencils there. I'm not sure I've noticed that on a GA cover before. Nice book.

Thanks. I'm not sure of the process (calling Scrooge, Adamstrange, etc..), but it looks to me to be the same as what Flessel used on Adventure #42.

Very cool cover!

That was fast. Thanks for the info.

Very cool cover!

It could also be "Craft Tint", which was very popular in the 40's and 50's. It is a treated board that is brushed over with an activating solution that leaves behind a couple of different textures (depending on which board you're using). GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. Frazetta used them on occasion. One can actuallty do pen work with india ink over the textured part, making for a real cool effect.

Very cool cover!

It could also be "Craft Tint", which was very popular in the 40's and 50's. It is a treated board that is brushed over with an activating solution that leaves behind a couple of different textures (depending on which board you're using). GOD BLESS...

P.S. Frazetta used them on occasion. One can actuallty do pen work with india ink over the textured part, making for a real cool effect.

Craftint, which involves a brush to apply a solution to a special paper will give you a much smoother look, though what appear to be "solid" areas are actually tightly spaced parallel lines. The charcoal/textured process will result in very little charcoal deposited, giving an appearance of a lightly applied and widely dispersed airbrush.

I'm not sure that's a good enough explanation if you haven't seen originals but perhaps this can help. It is a superb example of Craftint by Roy Crane. Scan, iirc, courtesy of Bangzoon.

captaineasyroycrane1.jpg

Interesting, the art looks like uninked pencils there.  I'm not sure I've noticed that on a GA cover before.  Nice book. 
Very cool cover!It looks like charcoal on a textured board, similar to Adv 42.
It could also be "Craft Tint", which was very popular in the 40's and 50's. It is a treated board that is brushed over with an activating solution that leaves behind a couple of different textures (depending on which board you're using). GOD BLESS...-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs uP.S. Frazetta used them on occasion. One can actuallty do pen work with india ink over the textured part, making for a real cool effect.
Craftint, which involves a brush to apply a solution to a special paper will give you a much smoother look, though what appear to be "solid" areas are actually tightly spaced parallel lines.  The process will result in very little charcoal deposited, giving an appearance of a lightly applied and widely dispersed airbrush.  I'm not sure that's a good enough explanation if you haven't seen originals but perhaps this can help.  It is a superb example of Craftint by Roy Crane.  Scan, iirc, courtesy of Bangzoon.  captaineasyroycrane1.jpg  

NICE.......GOD BLESS...

I realized I was unclear and have edited my comparison to make it clearer.

Craftint, which involves a brush to apply a solution to a special paper will give you a much smoother look, though what appear to be "solid" areas are actually tightly spaced parallel lines. The charcoal/textured process will result in very little charcoal deposited, giving an appearance of a lightly applied and widely dispersed airbrush.

To see Crane's work in glorious black & white check out this recent reprint.

Not everyone is pleased with this edition:

To just get this out of the way-the material itself is GOLD. Roy Crane could rock the Craftint like no one before or since. The strip is a heck of a lot of fun, with the WWII milieu providing for a more serious backdrop compared to Crane's previous Captain Easy adventures- though lighter bits of whimsy still waft in to keep the strip a light and fun read. If I were just critiquing the content, I would award the book an A++.

Unfortunately, Fantagraphics has badly dropped the ball with this one. Using poor sources and printing at a small size, Crane's work never gets a chance to shine. If you really want to see these strips showcased the way they should be (albeit in flimsier paperback/magazine editions) seek out both the Dragon Lady Press books and especially The Pioneer set of reprints from the late 80's.

Both reproduce the strip in a larger size and, especially in the case of the Pioneer books, in a much clearer fashion. The Pioneer books (there were two slim volumes) cover some of the material in this volume from Fantagraphics, while the Dragon Lady Press books cover material that will show up in the next volume.

It's a real shame IDW couldn't have put this out, because Fant. just wasn't up to the task.