• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your newest Pedigrees....

732 posts in this topic

There may be another type of Craftint besides the duotone that I was discussing.

Craftint doubletone paper (DuoShade is another brand) is one of those things an ink illustrator had in their toolbox before the advent of the digital toolset or even rubdown tone systems like Zip-a-Tone. It wasn’t cheap and it gradually fell out of use. Howard Chaykin uses it quite often, though he prefers the graphite/charcoal pattern over the hatched lines I’ve chosen to work with here.

Craftint had two patterns on it. Apply one chemical to it with a brush or pen and the first pattern was revealed. Use another chemical and the other pattern came up. It required careful planning and tone management, because once the tone or tones were revealed your only option was to take it to white or black. Erasing and reapplying tone was impossible.

Not everyone is pleased with this edition:

Unfortunately, Fantagraphics has badly dropped the ball with this one. Using poor sources and printing at a small size, Crane's work never gets a chance to shine. If you really want to see these strips showcased the way they should be (albeit in flimsier paperback/magazine editions) seek out both the Dragon Lady Press books and especially The Pioneer set of reprints from the late 80's.

Both reproduce the strip in a larger size and, especially in the case of the Pioneer books, in a much clearer fashion. The Pioneer books (there were two slim volumes) cover some of the material in this volume from Fantagraphics, while the Dragon Lady Press books cover material that will show up in the next volume.

It's a real shame IDW couldn't have put this out, because Fant. just wasn't up to the task.

Thanks for posting this. I knew of this volume coming out but I have the Pioneer books IIRC that cover the same material as this new reprint. I don't understand either how anyone would want to re-run a new reprint and not improve on previous reprinting. At least the new Prince Valiant volumes are better than previously issued reprints.

There may be another type of Craftint besides the duotone that I was discussing.

Craftint doubletone paper (DuoShade is another brand) is one of those things an ink illustrator had in their toolbox before the advent of the digital toolset or even rubdown tone systems like Zip-a-Tone. It wasn’t cheap and it gradually fell out of use. Howard Chaykin uses it quite often, though he prefers the graphite/charcoal pattern over the hatched lines I’ve chosen to work with here.

Craftint had two patterns on it. Apply one chemical to it with a brush or pen and the first pattern was revealed. Use another chemical and the other pattern came up. It required careful planning and tone management, because once the tone or tones were revealed your only option was to take it to white or black. Erasing and reapplying tone was impossible.

The type you discussed was certainly the most widespread....it was definitely the most repro-friendly. I do seem to recall a variety that mimics drybrush and another that resembled the "sponge" pattern commonly used in specialty wall painting. One of my favorite examples of the more commonly used variety is Frazetta's Red Planet cover for one of the Famous Funnies Buck Rogers covers. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend o jesus) (thumbs u

I recently got those two books. Neither one is exceptionally high grade, but I like 'em.

The Bat is one of my favorite covers of the run, and the Beware is a neat cover that you don't see too often.

Cookeville copy:

bat1_7228a.jpg

Bethlehem:

bewarelargescanbethlehem.jpg

What an odd combination...I have both of these books next to each other on my Borders comic stand in my bedroom!! Great stuff man! Great collectors think alike.

Cool books! (thumbs u