• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 NEWSSTAND PIC TIME MACHINE JOURNEY INTO THE PAST
18 18

2,463 posts in this topic

I was also wondering about the date. The berets appear to be '50s models.

My buddy knows his berets. (thumbs u

It's a side hobby of mine :grin:

bedrock-beret.jpg

:roflmao:

i was glad scrooge was able to identify and date some of the books since i am

unfamiliar with french comics. thank you scrooge! :applause:

because the photo of the boy reading donald duck was dated 1949, i assumed all the photos were from the same year. :sorry:

here's a few more pics:

market43.jpgmarket33.jpg

market30.jpgmarket2.jpg

market32.jpg

this kid is really absorbed into donald duck!

market15.jpg

i assumed all the photos were from the same year.
They could be and most likely were. They were trading old comics so the fact that the comics have different dates doesn't mean that they were traded at different times.

this kid is really absorbed into donald duck!
No surprise there. It's a Carl Barks story. :headbang:

In this pic,

market30.jpg

the kid might be holding a book featuring Ogar, le démon de la savane, a Tarzan knock-off. For that matter, in the earlier batch of pics, there might have been another such knock-off represented as I spied what might be a book of Tim l'audace who though a journalist has adventures in the jungle à la Tarzan filled with lost cities, ancient civilizations, ...

Accidentally started new thread with my first post here. Apologies. Still learning. Here is the posting in the proper thread.

This is an image I captured from the new Ernie Kovacs DVD set. I will get more info and post later. This was a live broadcast. Ernie's elbow is just visible to the right....

ErnieKovacsShow.jpg

This picture came from a copy of the June 1936 isssue of "The American News Trade Journal",

It is simply a spectacular image showing many great pulp magazines and magazines in general (Spicy Mystery #1, other Spicy's, Spider, Operator Five, etc.).

Newsstandrackcloseup.jpg

Dwight

here's some pics from chicago's past.

here's a rare color pic of a chicago newsstand in a soda fountain in 1952 from reminisce magazine. some of the comics identified are: silly symphonies 1, bugs bunny vacation funnies 3, crime & punishment 54?, ozark ike 25, actual confessions 13, black cat mystery 36, true war experiences 2 & 3, web of evil 1, gi joe 15, fighting fronts! 2, eerie 9, chamber of chills 22, flyboy 2, hot rod comics 5, henry 27, paul terry's comics 94, cisco kid 11 & strange suspense stories 3.

chicago50s.jpg

a chicago newsstand from march 1946 where you could get a lot of personal stuff done: birth/death certificates, marriage licenses & income taxes.

some books i can see: action 95, flash 71, boy commandos 14, modern 49, shadow 61, all funny 11, detective 110?, real fact 2, super duck 7, batman 34, star spangled 56 & green lantern 19.

comics stored that high are out of reach from kids!

chicago3-46.jpg

family living in a chicago basement in 1946. kid is reading sparkler 61.

chicagobasement1946.jpg

peanuts characters on ford falcon signs. pic from the 1961 chicago auto show at mccormick place.

mccormickplchicagoautoshow1961falcon.jpg