• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 NEWSSTAND PIC TIME MACHINE JOURNEY INTO THE PAST
18 18

2,403 posts in this topic

Great bunch of pics, guys. Action #9 and Tec #24, too much! :applause:

One of my favorites in the thread. I think it might have been posted before, but this image is of much higher quality. (thumbs u

Great bunch of pics, guys. Action #9 and Tec #24, too much! :applause:

One of my favorites in the thread. I think it might have been posted before, but this image is of much higher quality. (thumbs u

Look at the creases those book got at the stands.

before my parents had a car, we took the greyhound bus to visit my grandparents. most of the time i bought a comic at the depot to read for the trip.

these bus depot pics brings back memories.

los angeles bus depot at 6th & main sept 26 1953. comic rack by the column.

LA6thmaindepot9-26-53.jpg

st paul minnesota depot jan 24 1949. some of the comics i see are d i c k tracy, tip top 151, millie 29, crime detective v1#7, black diamond western 9 & police?

could you please move over lady?

stpauldepot1-24-49.jpg

this pic has been shown before in this thread on page 17. comics on rotating rack in a tacoma washington depot mar 28 1959.

tacomabusterminal3-28-59.jpg

more fun pics to come...

here's a couple of my favorite 1950s photos. i really like this nicely composed newsstand photo from about 1952. it captures the carefree days of childhood, the possibilities of the future ahead and kids fashion from that era. the older boy, reading tom corbett four color 378, is wearing rolled up jeans and keds sneakers. he's probably thinking of the adventure of manned space travel which would become a reality in a decade and by that time he'll probably be reading the car magazines behind him. the girl, wearing a checkered print dress with saddle shoes, is reading girls romance 13 and may be thinking of some romantic fantasy that may happen when she's older and in time she will move on to glamour or movie magazines. the boy with the hat (note the horse & rider) and rolled up jeans is probably reading a western comic and thinking of some western adventure. see also the classics illustrated comics joan of arc, green mansions and crime & punishment on the rack.

newsstand52big.jpg

wouldn't school be more fun if the textbooks were comics? most of the kids and teacher look happy and this was probably a reward for good grades. this 1951 photo has donald duck four fc 300, funny films 12, new funnies 168, 169, 170, little lulu 32 & francis mule fc 335.

school1951big.jpg

school1951big.jpg

That girl on the far right is faking it. I don't think she's really that into the comic. She's just making it look good for the camera. Probably thought she was going to be the next Shirley Temple. And the girl in the front is irritated because she doesn't like having her picture taken while she's trying to read a comic. And frankly, who does... who does?

I'm not even going to comment on the poindexter reading Francis Mule except to say the school yard was a hard place for him as a kid. He probably had to grow up fast if he was going to survive. But secretly, he still likes Francis Mule to this day. He just can't tell anybody about it.

school1951big.jpg

That girl on the far right is faking it. I don't think she's really that into the comic. She's just making it look good for the camera. Probably thought she was going to be the next Shirley Temple. And the girl in the front is irritated because she doesn't like having her picture taken while she's trying to read a comic. And frankly, who does... who does?

I'm not even going to comment on the poindexter reading Francis Mule except to say the school yard was a hard place for him as a kid. He probably had to grow up fast if he was going to survive. But secretly, he still likes Francis Mule to this day. He just can't tell anybody about it.

Look how engrossed the girl reading Donald Duck is in that comic! Great picture!

Thanks for the effort you're putting into turning all these up. You've found a wealth of new material in this area.

Ditto. I always enjoy seeing the new pics in this thread. (thumbs u

Thanks for the effort you're putting into turning all these up. You've found a wealth of new material in this area.

They are fun. (thumbs u

They are fun. (thumbs u

Indubitably. :)

They are fun. (thumbs u

i'm glad people enjoy the pics. while some people collect pictures of comics, i collect pictures with comics. pics will vary in quality but they all are comic strip or comic book related. i have a few more pics to post in the coming weeks as time permits. i try to sort by theme or location but i can't seem to categorize this pic.

have you ever been forced to wear something you didn't like by a parent or adult for a photo? at john bear jr's 11th birthday on nov 26 1922, kids wear hats with comic strip characters. some of the characters are mutt & jeff, maggie & jiggs, harebreath harry, boob ncnutt and andy gump. unlike the 1951 school pic, none of these kids look happy. try to guess who's the birthday boy. (do i really have to wear this dumb hat??) :grin:

johnbearjr11-26-22a.jpg

They are fun. (thumbs u

i'm glad people enjoy the pics. while some people collect pictures of comics, i collect pictures with comics. pics will vary in quality but they all are comic strip or comic book related. i have a few more pics to post in the coming weeks as time permits. i try to sort by theme or location but i can't seem to categorize this pic.

have you ever been forced to wear something you didn't like by a parent or adult for a photo? at john bear jr's 11th birthday on nov 26 1922, kids wear hats with comic strip characters. some of the characters are mutt & jeff, maggie & jiggs, harebreath harry, boob ncnutt and andy gump. unlike the 1951 school pic, none of these kids look happy. try to guess who's the birthday boy. (do i really have to wear this dumb hat??) :grin:

johnbearjr11-26-22a.jpg

Great picture! :applause: I think this may have been one of those games where they don't know who's on their own hat, and have to try to guess based on how the others are talking to them.

That's an excellent guess about why they are using the hats. It's been a while but I've played that game a time or two.