• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 NEWSSTAND PIC TIME MACHINE JOURNEY INTO THE PAST
18 18

2,497 posts in this topic

based on a lively discussion in a science fair thread about comic book production, i looked for some pictures.

a few of these pictures were posted before by kaylab.

after the pages come off the color presses, they are cut, stapled & folded in the stitcher and then the edges trimmed according to the descriptions.

Here at the C.T. Dearing company comic books pages come off the huge four color presses and are checked by pressmen, June 8, 1950 in Louisville.

Bill Schott checks the printing.

ctdearing_louisville-1950_billschot.jpg

Here at the C.T. Dearing company comic books pages come off the huge four color presses and are checked by pressmen, June 8, 1950 in Louisville.

Lewelyn Gordon, left, and James Wadell, color press operators, examine a sheet comic book covers as it comes off the press.

ctdearing_louisville-1950.jpg

The pages and the backs of the comic books meet here in this stitcher where Miss Beatrice Holstner, front, and Mrs. Mae Freed are feeding the machine at the C.T. Dearing Company in Lexington, KY, June 9, 1950. As the books come off the stitcher they are trimmed and counted to be packaged for their ultimate destination.

dearingco3.jpg

As the comic books come off the stitcher they are trimmed and counted to be packaged for their ultimate destination at the C.T. Dearing Company in Lexington, KY, June 9, 1950. Comics constitute 31.2 percent of all magazines in general circulation.

dearingco4.jpg

some production photos from pamphlet Narrative Illustration, The Story of the Comics by MC Gaines 1943. you can spot the covers to superman 21, more fun 90 & flash 42 on the left.

Print_1943-7-1024x608.jpg

Print_1943-8-1024x811.jpg

Print_1943-9-1024x760.jpg

do these pictures help clarify how comics are cut? can anyone in the printing industry comment? ze-man or kaylab?

this will be temporarily the kiddie korner. we will be ten-year olds for the moment.

there will be no arguing or fighting like the adults, ok? ;)

we will spend our time reading and talking about comics. adults are banned just like the picture says. :D

does anyone remember this stand?

natgeo.jpg

at the kiddie korner, we can enjoy ice cream and read comics while our parents do the shopping at this pasadena california supermarket (9/14/51). :grin:

pasadenasupermkt9-14-51.jpg

we will read, breathe and sleep comics and enjoy our collections, just like the kid here (1963?). :)

comics.jpg

how about playing a game? how many comics you can identify here? hm

there are multiple copies of the same issue.

this picture reminds me of the cover to supersnipe 6.

supersnipe6.jpg

we will not worry about the value of comics, so we can cut them up if we want (except for the good stuff). :insane:

trimming.jpg

now, all of you can go back to being adults now. lol

OK, I know there are comics somewhere in this link, probably lurking right behind the store windows. Worth a look for some great color images of the New York where many Golden Age artists grew up. Note some of the Yiddish signage in pictures of the lower East side. McSorley's also happens to be my favorite bar and I visit whenever I get back to the city. Still going strong, try to get a seat in that front window!

Great New York Pictures

OK, I know there are comics somewhere in this link, probably lurking right behind the store windows. Worth a look for some great color images of the New York where many Golden Age artists grew up. Note some of the Yiddish signage in pictures of the lower East side. McSorley's also happens to be my favorite bar and I visit whenever I get back to the city. Still going strong, try to get a seat in that front window!

Great New York Pictures

I've seen these NY photos before but can never get tired of them. (thumbs u

One of the things I enjoy most about walking the streets of Chinatown and the Lower East Side is how (amazingly) little these neighborhoods appear to have changed from 50 or 100 years ago, compared to the majority of the rest of Manhattan. It really does feel a bit like time travel.

here is link to a bunch of old pics with comics in um :)

http://www.detective27.com/comicsonsteps.htm

That's my site. Most of the pics there came from this thread. (thumbs u

And the world turns...

how about a fun little quiz?

name the celebrities and the comics in the pics.

a few of the pics have been shown before and there are few comics i can't identify.

i think people will identify all the pics but i'll post the answers in a few days. :grin:

lt40s.jpg

ds49.jpg

ar70s.jpg

jl47.jpg

hb.jpg

jjdetroit68.jpg

wc60s.jpg

js66.jpg

stooges71.jpg

lh.jpg

plk70s.jpg

kd55.jpg

bewitched.jpg

how about a fun little quiz?

name the celebrities and the comics in the pics.

a few of the pics have been shown before and there are few comics i can't identify.

i think people will identify all the pics but i'll post the answers in a few days. :grin:

I think I have quite a few of the celebrities but some of the comics are impossible to identify. Here goes:

1. Elizabeth Taylor

3. Is that Alan Osmond with a young Kurt Russell?

4. Joe Louis

5. Humphrey Bogart

6. Janis Joplin

7. ? (The guy looks like Dennis Quaid but it couldn't be, and the gal... meow!! :cloud9:, I like how interested she is in Detective 359)

8. Davy Jones and Michael Nesmith

9. Shemp Howard, Moe Howard, and Larry Fine

10. Oliver Hardy and Stan Laurel

11. Linda McCartney, Paul McCartney and some other guy ;)

12. Joel Douglas, Kirk Douglas, and Michael Douglas

13. and, of course, the incomparable Elizabeth Montgomery

Edited by Ted Knight

I'm sure Ted's kidding about 7.

;) Glad to see my humor isn't wasted. Yvonne Craig was one of my first real dream girls as a young man. Man, I wish outfits like the one she's wearing were still fashionable. Super hot.

Edited by Ted Knight