• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much do dust shadows bother you?

61 posts in this topic

I've been thinking about making an offer on this book, but the dust shadows kinda bug me.

Would they hold you back?

supes18.jpg

This was the only real complaint I had with CGC when they first started....dust shadows.I personally don't think they should be allowed on the front cover above 8.0.I don't mind them as bad on the back cover and I do own some until I can replace them with one that is free of that defect.As cool as Superman 18 is,I would be hesitant on that copy unless it were very reasonable.The bad thing is that it may be a LONG time before you find another in that range.I would pass on it .A sharp 6.5 might actually present better.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Wow, that's an 8.5??? I have a few scarce 50's DC books that have slight dust shadows and I graded them lower accordingly. Guess I will send them to CGC, huh?

A Phantom Stranger 1950's run with dust shadows :cloud9: .GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

"How much do dust shadows bother you? "

How much does it bother you? Look at it :baiting: Its obviously not very attractive.

Part of my decision making process when buying a book is considering its resale value should I decide to part with it, so other peoples' opinions on something like this are important.

I think this is the clincher Jeff, while you may or may not ever get used to owning this particular copy is besides the point. Because if and when you went to sell it you might get burned(depending of course on what you paid for it) So it is best to pass.

On the flip side I try and look at the postives of books with sun/dust shadows. Basically if not for the shadow the book would grade higher. And since the shadow is more of an asthetic flaw then a physical one in many cases you are getting a much tighter book assuming CGC downgraded for the shadow on some level. Granted some shadows can and do damage the paper, but in the case of this Supes book it doesn't look too severe.

So look at the shadow like a date stamp, factor it into the books history instead of letting it ruin a book for you. I know, easier said then done. But for the right price I don't mind them as much as I used to.

(shrug)

I prefer no dust shadows. Unfortunately, it's very common on GA Detective Comics. :(

Very true.. Check out my Tec 29.. I also have no problem with dust shadows unless it's light and in mid-grade to lower grade books. It's odd if it is on high graded books like the book in question.

a slabbed 7.5 and a raw 8.0. I wonder where they are these days?

I think Mr. Bedrock owns the 7.5 copy.

superman18.jpg

It has a faint dust shadow :P

I don't have much of a problem buying books with sun shadows........ as long as I'm not paying the posted price. The lighter colors on covers tend to show a more pronounced shadow. If the book grades below a fine, I discount the book only slightly. On higher grades I need more of a price break. The problem is that the posted grade will tend to keep the price on the high side negating my chance of securing the book.

My guess is that the defect will give you an opportunity to buy a VF+ at a discount

but will cost you on the way out.

Jay.

I've been thinking about making an offer on this book, but the dust shadows kinda bug me.

Would they hold you back?

No, not if (1) the shadow was taken into account in the grade and (2) the book was otherwise structurally sound. I will take dust shadows over tanning/brittle pages or spine splits all day. I do admit, however, that the dust shadows on this particular book are less attractive than most shadows I have seen.

Makes the whole cover look askew.

That's my biggest problem with it. If the dust shadow was in a straight line across the top of the book, I'd be much more interested in making an offer, but the odd angle of it almost makes the book look mis-cut, which it's not.

It does kinda line up with the angle of the art on the cover though. So it is at least artistically pleasing. The shadows don't bother me much, but it sounds like I am a lonely voice in the wilderness (as is often the case).

you are not alone; a lesser defect for me. here's my mystic 1, which i love, that has pretty good ones. admittedly, the market was kept down on the book and i got into it for about 1/3 off guide. plus, as some have noted re grading these books, it's down in the fine range, not the vf range.

mystic1.jpg

That's my biggest problem with it. If the dust shadow was in a straight line across the top of the book, I'd be much more interested in making an offer, but the odd angle of it almost makes the book look mis-cut, which it's not.

It does kinda line up with the angle of the art on the cover though. So it is at least artistically pleasing. The shadows don't bother me much, but it sounds like I am a lonely voice in the wilderness (as is often the case).

you are not alone; a lesser defect for me. here's my mystic 1, which i love, that has pretty good ones. admittedly, the market was kept down on the book and i got into it for about 1/3 off guide. plus, as some have noted re grading these books, it's down in the fine range, not the vf range.

mystic1.jpg

I think that's a rather nice looking copy, Billy!

mystic1.jpg

Definitely a sweet looking book. In this case, I wouldn't mind the dust shadow at all especially paying a pretty good price for it. Nice pick-up (thumbs u

mystic1.jpg

Definitely a sweet looking book. In this case, I wouldn't mind the dust shadow at all especially paying a pretty good price for it. Nice pick-up (thumbs u

thanks guys. i do love the mystic run, especially when i spend a weekend around bedrock's run.

Jeff,

Light dust shadows on the back cover do not bother me very much at all. On the front cover I really do not like them but if a book has a very light shadow that is straight on one edge, I can accept it. I would say you should pass on the book unless you get it for a price that you are certain you can get back out of it and hold out for a copy you like better. Just by asking the question, it tells me the dust shadow will probably always bother you and you will never be happy with the book.

Ken