• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another batch of Overgraded books from a major dealer... RANT!!!

264 posts in this topic

Answer= most collectors can't grade or know how, meaning alot of comic collectors either don't care about the grade and just want any old copy of the comics they are searching for or they just are unfamilar with correct grading.

Very true...MH has made a mint because of this...

Jim

refesh my memory who is MH?

I am drawing a blank!

I also don't see as how "I'm doing the same thing and giving him a pass". I'm returning the books and if anyone ever asks how his grading is the answer will be "horrible". Not hit or miss, just straight miss.

Chris; my point is that i believe a number of "old-time" dealers simply grade differently.

the folks on this Board are by far (IMHO) the most knowlegeable in the ways of CGC grading. things like stains, sun/dust shadows, foxing, NCB creases, etc., are possibly viewed differently than OS or many dealers.

it's a problem within the hobby, but one that isn't going away soon. i believe that things like deep color strike, gloss, centering, etc., are not given quite the positive effect that many in the hobby believe they deserve.......

my personal experience with many beautiful SA DC's that I submitted is that the boys in Sarasota look primarily at structure. i could see a dealer selling me 9.0's that i would be quite happy with and CGC would probably grade them as 8.0's.

but, hey, it is what it is............ :foryou:

I don't disagree. There are a number of dealers that grade "old school". But I guess then my question would be how come a guy like Jerry Weist or Doug Sulipa can grade "old school" and their raw NM books come back as slabbed NM books from CGC? I don't mind paying top dollar for raw books when I know they are accurately graded, it's when I pay top dollar for books that I can get for half that in the same grade from a guy like Doug that I get irritated for having wasted my time.

Its obvious as the nose on your face who you are talking about. :baiting:

You will not have an issue in returning the books and getting a full refund. He harbors no ill will or hostility :gossip:

As to why he is in business.

1. Easy to deal with.

2. Has quality stuff but you have to look for it.

He is no worse then another big dealer who can't grade as accurate but is still around because they find the product.

Through the mylar it looks great, take it out and you're in for a big shock.

Seems to me to be a case of "grading through the bag" syndrome... doh!

Kinda of the same when shopping in a con. I don't know of too many people that will let you take the book out and examine it and maybe/maybe not purchase it.

I don't disagree. There are a number of dealers that grade "old school". But I guess then my question would be how come a guy like Jerry Weist or Doug Sulipa can grade "old school" and their raw NM books come back as slabbed NM books from CGC? I don't mind paying top dollar for raw books when I know they are accurately graded, it's when I pay top dollar for books that I can get for half that in the same grade from a guy like Doug that I get irritated for having wasted my time.

They went to a better old school.

:shy:

Kinda of the same when shopping in a con. I don't know of too many people that will let you take the book out and examine it and maybe/maybe not purchase it.

I won't pay good money for a book at a con unless either I take it out or they take it out...(the comic that is)... ;)

I also don't see as how "I'm doing the same thing and giving him a pass". I'm returning the books and if anyone ever asks how his grading is the answer will be "horrible". Not hit or miss, just straight miss.

Chris; my point is that i believe a number of "old-time" dealers simply grade differently.

the folks on this Board are by far (IMHO) the most knowlegeable in the ways of CGC grading. things like stains, sun/dust shadows, foxing, NCB creases, etc., are possibly viewed differently than OS or many dealers.

it's a problem within the hobby, but one that isn't going away soon. i believe that things like deep color strike, gloss, centering, etc., are not given quite the positive effect that many in the hobby believe they deserve.......

my personal experience with many beautiful SA DC's that I submitted is that the boys in Sarasota look primarily at structure. i could see a dealer selling me 9.0's that i would be quite happy with and CGC would probably grade them as 8.0's.

but, hey, it is what it is............ :foryou:

I think this statement is very true and the books I've bought from Ted

before I joined these boards and for the most part I was very pleased

with his grading.

My next order from Ted after joining the boards and buying several

books from some of our best sellers there was a book with a small tape

pull on the back cover and it was supposed to be NM/NM+. When I

complained and mentioned CGC wouldn't give the book a 9.2 or higher

he just apologized and said send it back. I asked him about what he

thought about CGC's grading and I wish I kept his response because

I don't want to put words in his mouth.

He basically said something to the affect he doesn't quite grade as tough

as CGC or know exactly how they grade and which flaws knock books

down under their grading system for the very HG books. He wasn't bad

mouthing CGC in anyway.

I still think he's a nice guy and great to deal with and if you're buying

books to slab, I might look elsewhere, IMHO.

I won't pay good money for a book at a con unless either I take it out or they take it out...(the comic that is)... ;)

Me too.

Most people I deal with at shows let me whip it out ;)

The book that is :gossip:

Me too.

Yeah...I've heard the stories... :gossip:

WARNING: RANT coming... read at your own risk

So I just picked up a batch of 7 high grade books from a major dealer who deals almost exclusively in raw books. He's been discussed on this forum quite a bit in the "how do these dealers grade?" type threads. The consensus has been that he's hit and miss, sometimes a grade or so too high and sometimes right on. So I decide to give it a try with some books I need, expecting to get something relatively close to the grades advertised and maybe a book or two that is spot on. Well was I in for a huge disappointment. Of the 7 books, not one is graded spot on IMO. The biggest problem, a NM Avengers 100 which I paid well over guide for is a straight up VF with all kinds of non color breaking creases on the spine and back cover. Through the mylar it looks great, take it out and you're in for a big shock. The grade/price difference between a VF and NM are HUGE. The rest are all 2-3 grade levels off. I'm going to end up keeping 1 book out of 7 and that's only because the price point between VF/NM(what it was advertised as) and VF(what I think the real grade is) is not that big and it's a book I need.

I'm kind of shocked that people here are willing to be as forgiving of his grading as they have been. Everyone is saying that accurate grading is of utmost importance in Nick's thread about online retailers yet it seems that most here are either a) overgrading/unable to grade or b) willing to give dealers a pass for overgrading because said delaer is a "nice guy". Being a "nice guy" does nothing for me when money is effectively being taken out of my pocket. Dealers with this type of shoddy grading should not be able to stay in business for as long as some have IF their customers would call them on it. Anyway, I'm just ticked that now I have to waste more time on these supposed high grade books by returning them and the hassle involved in that.

End of RANT. Now back to your regularly scheduled pressing threads... I'm sure there is one somewhere.

Awesome rant! :applause:

Some quick thoughts on this thread:

- Name the dealer or don't bother with threads like this...the reason is that you have one dealer (who may or may not be the one you are referencing) whose name has been speculated about in the thread and is getting dragged through the cyber-mud, (possibly for no reason). That alone should be reason enough to avoid threads that breed rampant speculation...its unfair to those being speculated about.

- A simple solution for your problems. Buy CGC 8.5s and 9.0s that present well, many of which can be had for under Guide in many instances, break them out, slip them in Mylar, and whammo....well graded high end books at reasonable prices.

(thumbs u

Me too.

Right there on the table? That can't be sanitary man :sick:

Some quick thoughts on this thread:

- Name the dealer or don't bother with threads like this...the reason is that you have one dealer (who may or may not be the one you are referencing) whose name has been speculated about in the thread and is getting dragged through the cyber-mud, (possibly for no reason). That alone should be reason enough to avoid threads that breed rampant speculation...its unfair to those being speculated about.

Right, because if I put a name out there he wouldn't be dragged through the cyber-mud?

- A simple solution for your problems. Buy CGC 8.5s and 9.0s that present well, many of which can be had for under Guide in many instances, break them out, slip them in Mylar, and whammo....well graded high end books at reasonable prices.

Interesting concept, I'll have to try it.

(thumbs u

(thumbs u

I spit on 9.2's :insane:lol

And . . . when was the last time YOU bought a CGC 8.5? :baiting:

:jokealert: