• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'm stunned...

195 posts in this topic

Speaking from have a "couple" of Signature series books, this is totally outragious. Jim Lee is not impossible to get an autograph from. These "incentive" books will kill the industry if they continue...OH MY STARS AND GARTERS, Joe is right... gossip.gif

why didn't you or Peter get one of these signed? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893frustrated.gif I would have rather given my money to guys I know and who do this fairly often????

Well, for one, I have never owned an RRP. And the books I have signed are from my personal collection. I also don't think Peter owns one of these either (but I'm not sure).

Also, when Peter lines up for Jim Lee, he can usually only get 3 books (per person) signed at a time (that's Jim Lee's rule). So if he is in line with a CGC rep and maybe someone else, he might get 9 books in total done, unless he gets in line again. Since he tries to accomodate his customers first, they are the ones who get their books done first before his. So even if he had one, it may not get signed for a while.

I still think this is an outrageous price to pay. For example, the most expensive Signature Series book that I have ever sold was Amazing Spider-man #122 (CGC 7.5) signed by John Romita Sr. that went for $350. I would rather own this book again to be honest.

Off topic

I don't think so; I find links to insane yields on an RRP to an impending market crash far more predeterministic, and WAY offside, when its meshed in with the notion that retailers are going for a wide-scale soaking of its customers. While we are at it, why not call everything a SCAM!

Lets keep facts straight, and theories cogent. Society will have its share of folks with money and ideas on how to spend, but to make a connection between an RRP auction yield, a market crash, and comic shop retailers who are just a bunch of scam artists is just plain insidious and best left in discussions revolving volatile markets such as stocks.

Here's what I do know. I've recieved, just this week (only Wednesday), 9 calls from equities traders on the latest scoop for investing my money in stocks. I have yet to hear from anyone regarding a Batman 608 RRP. But if curiousity got the best of me, I just might type in eBay's url in my browser and run a search. No high-pressure sales tactics, and no scam involved with the latter.

...incentives to make retailers more money...

hmmmm...retailers actually trying to make more money. Wow, what a concept, people in the for profit sector trying to make money. I just cannot imagine what they are thinking.

I think they should work at improving customer service, get more new readers in the door and continue to expand their product selection. Counting on this kind of pie-in-the-sky incentive crapola to pay the bills long-term will drive a lot of them out of business.

DC is trying to print money using limited edition, manufactured collectibles, and that scam never works for very long....

How is DC trying to print money? DC makes NO money selling the Batman 608 RRP, as they are giving them away. Please explain this to me. Please also explain to me how selling one book on the internet for $2000 will drive anyone out of business.

How is DC trying to print money? DC makes NO money selling the Batman 608 RRP

Are you saying that there is absolutely no financial benefit to attracting more potential retailers, by using a uber-speculated Retailer Incentive?

Is that really what you're saying, that DC just prints these up out of the goodness of their heart, never expecting it to boost attendance and sales?

This thread is degenerating quickly, and it looks like an upcoming tilt between the "Sellers with their Hands in the Incentive Cookie Jar" and the "This is Insanity, I'm Having Recurring Nightmares of 1994" crews.

Pick yer side boys.

If I send you, Peter, or Kevthemev my Superman/Batman 1 Fort wayne RRPs, will you get them Sig Series for me?

Sure thing. I'm sure one of us would be able to pass it on to Peter for you. I'll have to ask him if he is going to Dallas or not though. I'll talk to him tonight for you and let you know...

Alex

This thread is degenerating quickly, and it looks like an upcoming tilt between the "Sellers with their Hands in the Incentive Cookie Jar" and the "This is Insanity, I'm Having Recurring Nightmares of 1994" crews.

Really?!?

I thought it was yet another thread that degenerated when you decided to adopt your "I'm only hanging around long enough to watch this sink ship" perspective, but since you had some time to kill, you chose from the top ten playlist your

"Let me explain how everything leads to an impending market crash, a scam, and other crash & burn rituals", from the "other blasphemies not yet told" stringed quartet!

Really?!?

I thought it was yet another thread that degenerated when you decided to adopt your "I'm only hanging around long enough to watch this sink ship" perspective, but since you had some time to kill, you chose from the top ten playlist your

"Let me explain how everything leads to an impending market crash, a scam, and other crash & burn rituals", from the "other blasphemies not yet told" stringed quartet!

You've developed great insight for only being here 10 days!?!? confused-smiley-013.gif

Yes, this has indeed turned into "Not Another Market Crash Thread"... 893frustrated.gif

DC may be on their last leg anyway even with their exclusive contracts and other stunts they are trying (that distribution debacle vs. Bulldog) to be like the other Big Boy, but they may live a little longer. This RRP phenomena should be looked at as a separate animal IMO...

Darth, my prejudices aside, if ANYBODY is going to be on the way out it sure as hell isn't DC Why? - TIME WARNER. They will keep DC going just for the movie potential; that and they are a multi-billion dollar company who have already found ways to use the properties throughout their universe in such ventures as the JLA cartoon network show and the upcoming Batman daily strip on AOL.

DAM

I thought it was yet another thread that degenerated when you decided to adopt your "I'm only hanging around long enough to watch this sink ship" perspective, but since you had some time to kill, 893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif

I always find it highly entertaining when those who disagree with my comments try and paint them as overtly negative. There are plenty of other people who think this RRP (or more appropriately RIP) craziness is way out of hand and bodes ill for the biz, but I guess it's easier to play the old JC card than contradict other forum members.

And in the interest of disclosure, have you ever, or will you, receive and resell these retailer incentives?

I have not, nor will I ever partake in this particular (cough) market.