• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spider-Man #122 bought off of a small pic...

55 posts in this topic

Actually, I think it's used in causing blindness. :o

Actually I already am. Inversing the pic can help find the hidden flaws this scan is pretty bad but you can now pic out a couple of the spine ticks. The lower corner shows the picture wasn't cropped but probably has a nice bump the other corners have a small degree of rounding. Overall however it is a nice clean copy.

someone here did that about a badly misdescribed auction where they paid nothing for a very valuable item and word got back to the seller who did not follow through with the sale. how much was our forumite out potentially? was it in the thousands?

More info? Link?

Yeah, sounds like this could be a good story. :popcorn:

That might be me blob is referring to...

Last year I won an auction described simply as "Captain America picture" which was categorized in the modern comics section. It was actually the cover art for Captain America #115 placed in a frame. The ending bid price was I think around $70. I wasn't sure exactly what I had won since I am not an OA collector so I posted an auction link in the OA forum almost immediately after I won the auction to ask what it was...it looked like OA but I wasn't sure. I can't remember the exact term but one of you experts let me know it was a photostat of the original cover (by Gene Colan) with some original clean-up art added by John Buscema. So apparently a few forumites or lurkers emailed the seller to ask if she had more like it and/or tell her it was worth a heck of a lot more than $70. Needless to say, she refused to sell me the item. I reported her to eBay and sent her a zillion emails but to no avail. :pullhair:

I see what appears to be a small stress line on the lower spine. The upper right corner is definitely rounded, but if you're lucky it's just curled down and you can carefully uncurl it. I agree that the bottom right corner is the ebay stamp, so again, if you're lucky, that corner will be okay.

All in all, I think your gamble was a pretty good one...but it was definitely a gamble.

I'll go out on a limb and predict you have a nice comic coming! :wishluck:

someone here did that about a badly misdescribed auction where they paid nothing for a very valuable item and word got back to the seller who did not follow through with the sale. how much was our forumite out potentially? was it in the thousands?

More info? Link?

Last year I won an auction described simply as "Captain America picture" which was categorized in the modern comics section. It was actually the cover art for Captain America #115 placed in a frame. The ending bid price was I think around $70. I wasn't sure exactly what I had won since I am not an OA collector so I posted an auction link in the OA forum almost immediately after I won the auction to ask what it was...it looked like OA but I wasn't sure. I can't remember the exact term but one of you experts let me know it was a photostat of the original cover (by Gene Colan) with some original clean-up art added by John Buscema. So apparently a few forumites or lurkers emailed the seller to ask if she had more like it and/or tell her it was worth a heck of a lot more than $70. Needless to say, she refused to sell me the item. I reported her to eBay and sent her a zillion emails but to no avail. :pullhair:

Ouch! That's a heck of a story.

[

Had it up in the PGM.. 6.5/7.5

Not as good as I hoped, but worth the effort

WEBHEAD

Why do comic collectors do this?!? Take chances on auctions like this? You could have bought an accurately graded VF copy for the same price or $20 more at most, from numerous board members here. doh! You didn't do too bad, but this is how people get burned. It doesn't always have an ending like that.

asm122scanouchem6.jpg

WEBHEAD

If the top of the spine is impacted in any way, 6.0.

If it's simply a stress, 6.5.

To be honest, by pulling the trigger on something like this, you're encouraging the lowlifes on eBay to continue with god awful grading and stamp-sized scans.

To be honest, by pulling the trigger on something like this, you're encouraging the lowlifes on eBay to continue with god awful grading and stamp-sized scans.

:sumo:

Originally Posted By: the blob

More info? Link?

------------------------------

Oh jeez, I don't have a link. This was here, like 1-2 years ago, might have been in the GA forum. Someone won an auction that included some really rare/expensive pulp or pre-GA comic that was mixed in with like some circus brochures from the same era. He got all excited and posted the win and someone from the forum (who I think got kicked off) let the seller know they had goofed and up the item went under the right description at a vastly higher opening bid.

More info? Link?

That sucks, but I saw that ending coming a mile away. Same thing happened to Showcase 4 when he posted a link to a rare platinum age book he picked up in a lot for some ridiculously small amount. That's why I NEVER reveal my deals til they are in-hand. Too many people in this hobby would try to submarine someone else's good fortune when given the chance. :(

:wishluck: I bought this off a relative new seller on a small picture.

asm122biggerym4.jpg

I sniped it and paid for a vf I hope for a 9.2-94 :headbang::banana::headbang:

Gotta 9.2 all ready.. :cloud9:

The image has been sized up considerable and enhanced the best I could. Book should arrive this weekend.

WEBHED

great spidey cover

:D

asm122scanouchem6.jpg

WEBHEAD

If the top of the spine is impacted in any way, 6.0.

If it's simply a stress, 6.5.

It's there lifeblood man!