• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Color touch, should I get CGC fees back?

129 posts in this topic

I'd send the book back slabbed. There is less risk of damage being done to the book, either through de-slabbing or from shipping. Additionally, if you might do business with the seller in the future, the seller may consider it goodwill.

Since your're working this out locally all I have to say to you is good luck.

To everyone else that's been egging this guy on, I hope you're simply laughing at your computer and wouldn't really ask for the CGC fees or crack the book out of the case.

Here are some important things to remember:

1st: This seller doesn't sound like a bad seller or scammer. He is refunding this guy his money. I've heard nightmare stories about sellers responding with "sorry about your luck dude," or "it didn't have any color touch on it when I sent it out."

2nd: I've sold on eBay, but I've never had to give someone a refund. I'm sure the seller can get his eBay listing fees back, but what about the PayPal %?? Is this seller eating that fee to give this guy a full refund? Isn't that % somewhere between 3 and 4%? If not, that's $60 to $80 this seller just lost to give this guy a refund.

3rd: You should NOT get the CGC fees back. I agree with the posting that it's like paying a house inspector before buying a house, or a mechanic before buying a used car. YOU sent it to CGC because you bought an expensive item on eBay and wanted someone else to verify its authenticity. Plus, if I was the seller and someone expected me to reimburse them an extra $125 I might think YOU WERE THE SCAMMER trying to take me for an extra $125 or to get me to take your old copy of the book that was restored off your hands.

4th: Cracking it out of the case is STUPID! :makepoint: You're whole case for a refund is that CGC said it had a color touch. Normally, you have to return an item to the seller, and then they give you a refund. If you break it out of the case and send it back, who's to say you really did send it??

5th: Finally, if those points weren't enough. You need to return the book to the seller in the same condition you recieved it in. So assuming you are really carefull and don't crease the book in the slightest taking it out of the case, remember the USPS still has a chance to use it as a hockey puck. Again, we're talking about a $2,000 book, not some cheap modern book he bought for 20 bucks.

2nd: I've sold on eBay, but I've never had to give someone a refund. I'm sure the seller can get his eBay listing fees back, but what about the PayPal %?? Is this seller eating that fee to give this guy a full refund? Isn't that % somewhere between 3 and 4%? If not, that's $60 to $80 this seller just lost to give this guy a refund.

To all the clueless people on the boards about paypal refunds.

IF you do a partial or full refund through the original paypal transaction, the seller is refunded some or all of the paypal fees (some for partial, all for full refund). The result is the seller is only charged the fees for net transaction.

i.e. if I was paid $2000 through paypal for this book, partially refunded $1500 back to the buyer because of the CT (again class, through the original transaction), I would only be charged the fees for a $500 transaction.

:sumo:

I do give private lessons in paypal 101; PM me for a session.

Transplant, I'm glad you're getting your money back. I'm in the camp of negoiating for half of the slabbing fees with the intent of sending it back to the seller in the holder. It will assist him in reselling it.

Nobody rides for free MF!

Wasn't that the RATT song in Point Break?

you got a pretty good memory...

I didn't even remember that, but odd enough now I do

even though I haven't seen that flick in over a decade.

Yes it was. I watch that film religiously at least once a year. Beats "Roadhouse" for best guilty pleasure flick.

I OWN that film! I apologize for the temporary derailment...but there's been a play running in downtown LA (I believe it came from Chicago or NY?) whereby each nite they select the Keanu Reeves character from the audience randomly who joins the cast and reads their lines from cue-cards...haven't been but a few people I know who've checked it out have said it's a riot!

I should consider myself lucky to get a refund.

Period. :sumo:

I am an architect and we seek solutions to construction problems daily...mega-solutions to mega-problems sometimes, but at times, just a lot of accumulative solutions to a lot of little-ball accumalative problems...DAILY!...when we get a reasonable solution that basically works on behalf of the whole...we move on to the next...problem/solution...what really throws a freaking monkey-wrench into the cogs of the problem-solving/solution-finding mix is when someone comes along to MICRO- MANAGE the freaking outcome...

settle...move on...(oh...btw...you have apparently made out like the proverbial bandit in this event we refer to as the civilized world...!) :headbang:

My goal is for everyone to be the way they were before the sale. Therefore, if one wants the benefit of the CGC slab, one must pay for that benefit.

(thumbs u :applause:

I don't understand why folks don't understand this line of thinking. Who cares about the CGC case? It's not our duty to keep it in plastic, it's to put both seller and buyer back to their original starting position. This accomplishes that goal.

My goal is for everyone to be the way they were before the sale. Therefore, if one wants the benefit of the CGC slab, one must pay for that benefit.

(thumbs u :applause:

I don't understand why folks don't understand this line of thinking. Who cares about the CGC case? It's not our duty to keep it in plastic, it's to put both seller and buyer back to their original starting position. This accomplishes that goal.

Yeah, but it's already a sunk cost. What're you going to do with $125 empty case? Display it proudly? :screwy:

Both the buyer and the seller are showing good will, don't stir up the pot.

Jazz and Maloney, I'm glad you guys are thinking with your heads, all it takes for the seller is to say "that ding wasn't there before you cracked it open" and then it becomes a pizzing contest and your chances of a full refund are gone. If your willing to risk it all the power to you. I think it's petty and protects you even further leaving it in its plastic tomb. Good luck.

Jim

I am just wondering but what kind of book cost $125 to get cgc?.. or is that counting the ship there and back as well?

Express and yes I was counting regular registered priority mail both ways.

The seller is fulfilling his obligation--it's not his job to finance your hobby activities. Next time-buy certified or demand a restoration check before purchase if buying virtually.

I understand this and raised the question here b/c it's my first time for this to happen. Frankly, I asked the seller beforehand if the book had any restoration or had been pressed. He said that it had not. I guess my only counter argument would be that if I had known there was resto, I would not have purchased and I would not have incurred the CGC costs.

Note to self: This entitlement society is really getting to me.

I was thinking this was a well reasoned response until I got to this part. You may not have intended it this way but it sounds like you're being a and casting me as someone who wants something for nothing. In fact, you sound like someone bitter about having to pay someone's fees, for restoration that you missed or knew about in advance, when CGC found it. But I have no reason to doubt your sincerity in your comments so I wouldn't make a pissy little comment like that without knowing more about you. :foryou:

I started to type about three responses this morning, then deleted them ..and now I saw this statement.

I'd agree since you asked before, that you should get a refund, He should not have said it had no restoration unless he KNEW that...as for taking it out of the slab? Why make enemies?

As far as the grading fees go, yes, I think he should refund, because he said it didn't have restoration, but I think I'd compromise on asking for payment for regular grading fees.

What I had typed before I saw that part of the response was a question about what kind of seller he is...regular dealer, just a plain old collector type...because that would make a difference. I have sold on Ebay for years, but I do not consider myself a dealer, it's genuinely just a hobby for me, I recycle books here and there to other hobbyists..and I never mention restoration unless I know its there. I can't say it isn't there, cause I really don't know, I don't own super professional equipment, I'm PRETTY good, but I am no expert. I look with black lights, and a jeweler's magnifier, but sometimes things are just too well done...then again, I usually only sell lower grade books when I sell on Ebay...and those books are almost always ones I bought for me...and

wouldI take back anything someone is unhappy with, there is no point for me, in having someone unhappy...but that has not really been much of an issue in the past for me.

However, when someone attests to the fact that a book is unrestored, then I think you made a reasonable move in having it graded and you should reasonably expect to get those fees back, because you had a reasonable expectation that you were buying an unrestored book.

This was not the first response I had typed...because I didn't know you had asked. That is the most important piece of information I've seen. It also sounds like the seller is reasonable...and the fact that it is SLIGHT color touch..is also significant...that can be just a dot someplace.

I keep saying this...there is a REASON there are erasers on pencils, people make mistakes.. Good luck, and you have me all curious, I'd love to see the book:)

BTW, as far as the Paypal refund of fees, goes...I believe there is a short window, it used to be no more than 60 days.

Sharon:

You got me thinking and I went back to re-read exactly what was said. My question was, " Have any of the books been pressed or had any type of restoration or conservation work done?" The response was (paraphrasing b/c I don't want to quote from an email without his permission) that he had not had any restoration done and had never bought a restored book. Not to split hairs but I want to be fair to the seller. He never said there was no restoration.

With that said, I've offered to split the CGC costs if he wants to keep it slabbed or just get a refund of the purchase price otherwise. We're negotiating on some other scenarios so that's all I'll say for now.

As for seeing the book, just take a gander in the PGM section here.

As for the type of seller, he is a former comic book shop owner now selling his personal collection.

It's still pretty...I can see the black color touch on the spine, it is more obvious where it goes into the next color...I wish CGC would consider different labels for different grades of restoration...that one should be in pale lavender, it's really not so dreadful...but the label screams out at you...I could see light, med and dark, labels.

If one of your options is to keep it at a lower price, I'm sure you'd still love it...I really enjoy some of my purple label books...I like them better OUT of the plastic because that label has such an odd stigma now...but they are still wonderful old books and the color on that one, is fantastic. I still remember when people were LINING UP to have restoration done and they were thrilled with it:)

Have a great night and just be glad it was only a label and not something that involved a non paper product;) ...:) I'm on EST time;) and the book still looks nice;)

Jazz and Maloney, I'm glad you guys are thinking with your heads

(tsk)

I thought of that too. There could also be a pizzing contest with the seller saying: "OMG! Look at that SCS! Look at what you did to my book when it was slabbed!" In general, there are lots of opportunities for both parties to "take it outside"; it seems that they are generally going in a very positive direction (if it can be said).

That said, the $125 slab fee was insurance on his investment; so it only benefits the buyer...the slab should not benefit the seller unless they both come to an arrangement. TINSTAAFL (unless you are world renown greggy of course).

If someone buys a book from us sold as unrestored, submits it, and it comes back restored we also refund any CGC fees. Sounds like we may be in the minority, but I think it is only fair. We stand behind what we are selling and wouldn't want a customer to be out of pocket due to our mistake or oversight.
My emphasis.

This is called professionalism and worth quoting.