• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will the true rarity of CGC 9.8 late 1970s unpopular titles ever be appreciated?

58 posts in this topic

How is a run of some junk book any different than a set??

Sports card set are by YEAR and comic runs are by TITLE.

This is a huge difference, and one major reason why comparing the card census/registry to the comic ones is impossible.

Uncanny X-men is almost on its 500th issue. How many junk issues are in that set?? I really don't see the difference.

It may someday be recognized, but never appreciated. Those books sucked, that's why they're rare. Nobody in their right mind would appreciate them.

Somebody might... I know, I do. :(

Honestly, all of my top-scoring Registry sets are ALL underappreciated Bronze-Age titles (ie: Ka-Zar, Kull, Claw, 1st Issue Special, Human Fly, etc). I don't own them for the $$, but for the joy of the hobby and the memories that I have tied up w/ certain titles. :cloud9:

I also like the idea that I can have a "Top Ranked Set" of an obscure, underappreciated title, because I myself, am underappreciated and obscure! lol

PS: I also 2nd the Bargin-Bin, poor condition philosophy... ;)

:hi:

I love all the obscure titles from the late 70s (Marvels anyways). I've had to take a break from buying and comics in general, but I'm still hopeful I can continue collecting 9.8s of this genre again soon.

This is a huge difference, and one major reason why comparing the card census/registry to the comic ones is impossible.

Uncanny X-men is almost on its 500th issue. How many junk issues are in that set?? I really don't see the difference.

I guess JC's point, though, is that there are no Speed Buggy's, Hee-Haw's, or For Lovers Only in that set. However, for every set of cards, there's a Mendoza for every Mays. To complete the set, you need them both.

I guess JC's point, though, is that there are no Speed Buggy's, Hee-Haw's, or For Lovers Only in that set.

Exactly, and how can this be so difficult to grasp?

Collecting by year vs. collecting by title - huge difference, like night and day.

Buy glasses. :tonofbricks:

JC... your just making all kinds of freinds this week..Somebody PIZZ IN your cornflakes??

Dude...chill. The sarcasm lost any small amt of charm long ago.

Sorry, but I've explained it more than once, not to mention that the point is pretty basic in the first place, and I think people are just faking being dense.

I would also go so far as to say that I doubt that anyone has a NM or better set of every single comic book printed from even a more recent year like 1971.

Some books don't even exist in the Census, let alone in NM. (shrug)

I love all the obscure titles from the late 70s (Marvels anyways). I've had to take a break from buying and comics in general, but I'm still hopeful I can continue collecting 9.8s of this genre again soon.

Welcome to the Boards :applause:

Nobody in their right mind would appreciate them.

"Oh, Scheradon... where art thou?" :shy:

Hey there, man -- it's been a bit! :cool:

I guess JC's point, though, is that there are no Speed Buggy's, Hee-Haw's, or For Lovers Only in that set. However, for every set of cards, there's a Mendoza for every Mays. To complete the set, you need them both.

Unless that Medoza is a high number!

lol...

You coming up to the con this weekend?

It may someday be recognized, but never appreciated. Those books sucked, that's why they're rare. Nobody in their right mind would appreciate them.

Honestly, all of my top-scoring Registry sets are ALL underappreciated Bronze-Age titles (ie: Ka-Zar, Kull, Claw, 1st Issue Special, Human Fly, etc). I don't own them for the $$, but for the joy of the hobby and the memories that I have tied up w/ certain titles. :cloud9:

I also like the idea that I can have a "Top Ranked Set" of an obscure, underappreciated title, because I myself, am underappreciated and obscure! lol

He's alive!!!

lol...

No. It's too early this year. rantrant

And from what I hear the guest list is dissolving rapidly.

But Whet will be there. He may have to lock up the place when he leaves. (shrug)

lol...

No. It's too early this year. rantrant

And from what I hear the guest list is dissolving rapidly.

But Whet will be there. He may have to lock up the place when he leaves. (shrug)

Well darn...had a great time last year...stil have the pillow proudly displayed in my comic and collectibles room :gossip:

I'll look for whet and a few of the other guys. I should be there both days.

The guest list hasn't exactly wowed me either :(

Maybe I can get something from Wrightson while he's there.

He's alive!!!

Barely...they're still rebuilding me...making me stronger, faster...