• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pedigree experts, help me!! "Big Apple Copy"..........

22 posts in this topic

This was sold to me as a Big Apple Copy..........how would one know for sure ?? Only mark I see on cover is a "loop" in pencil to the right of his cape.....Any insight is greatly appreciated.

FISH

action41.jpg

Typical coding for golden age Big Apple is a cursive "J". Here's a sample scan I pulled off Heritage. Without the code CGC would need a chain of ownership to certify it.

Other copies aren't coded. Here's a link to browse other scans on Heritage.

link

contact.jpg

BA copies smell like kerosine.

West

So does trooper's liver.

Don't forget about me!

:shy:

I propose a drinking contest in Chicago this year.

:applause:

West

So does trooper's liver.

Don't forget about me!

if we are talking about Coke Zero, I will guarantee a win, hands down! :headbang:

Almost every Big Apple copy I have owned has cream pages and a heavy pulp smell. I know thta doesn't help but I don't think they were stored very well over the years.

I believe that applies to the atom and silver age books. The golden age books are sharp and white as they were stored separately.

West

So does trooper's liver.

Don't forget about me!

if we are talking about Coke Zero, I will guarantee a win, hands down! :headbang:

:(

you're lucky you said Chicago, cuz I would have taken you up on that challenge had you said NYC :headbang:

West

So does trooper's liver.

Don't forget about me!

you're lucky you said Chicago, cuz I would have taken you up on that challenge had you said NYC :headbang:

West

So does trooper's liver.

Don't forget about me!

ok, I will be in NY too...I drink about 24 coke zero's a day, so bring it on :baiting:

woah! :o(worship)

West

So does trooper's liver.

Don't forget about me!

ok, I will be in NY too...I drink about 24 coke zero's a day, so bring it on :baiting:

Take a look here - this talks about comic pedigrees

It does show the typical marks for a Big Apple.

Yeah....I read this and it didn't have the "j" exactly as the samples showed....that's why I figured I'd ask all you guys. Guess the only way is to track it back to Weiss....but how to convince CGC, do I need actual paperwork or do they look at it and smell it and put a nice "Big Apple Copy" on the blue label??

Yeah....I read this and it didn't have the "j" exactly as the samples showed....that's why I figured I'd ask all you guys. Guess the only way is to track it back to Weiss....but how to convince CGC, do I need actual paperwork or do they look at it and smell it and put a nice "Big Apple Copy" on the blue label??

That may be a very "fat" j on your book and CGC may be able to match it up with others that it is aware of. If they can't, then they would want to know who you bought it from and they will attempt to get information from him. The less work CGC has to do and the more reliable the source, the greater the chance they will certify it as a Big Apple. Regardless, it looks like you have a very attractive copy.

That may be a very "fat" j on your book and CGC may be able to match it up with others that it is aware of. If they can't, then they would want to know who you bought it from and they will attempt to get information from him. The less work CGC has to do and the more reliable the source, the greater the chance they will certify it as a Big Apple. Regardless, it looks like you have a very attractive copy.

Thanks......very helpful. I actually bought it from Metro....I'll ask Steve what info he has.

Thanks......very helpful. I actually bought it from Metro....I'll ask Steve what info he has.

Metro has bought many Big Apples from Phillip Weiss.