• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My two Action Comics from mega Con came back from CGC

38 posts in this topic

I bought these two Actions at the convention, and I am pissed because one of them came back from CGC restored. I was assured by the dealer that the raw book was not restored. I undertsand I have a lot to learn about restoration, but I still think dealers, such as this one, who assured me over and over that it was not restored should be more honest. Should he be outed, or should I just let this one go (and maybe try to negotiate a return with him)?

072.jpg

071.jpg

1) If you don't feel that you can detect resto you probably shouldn't be spending this kind of money on books. The cover is sealed to the pages and there's amateur reinforcement. That should be very easy to see with even a casual inspection. If you can't see that, you're better off sticking with slabbed books.

2) Ask for your money back.

They are nice books. I would trade my #80 5.0 with his anyday. It even has white pages! (thumbs u

I agree, it looks somewhat undergraded, unless there is damage on the back or something. Nice books!

No noticeable damage on the back. My initial thoughts were that it was a tad undergraded as well, especially with the "white pages" designation, but I am surely no expert on the subject.

:hi: I would try to negotiate with him. If that don't work, out him!

Good advice. I am going to contact him and see what we can work out. Hopefully he will do the right thing here. I would be willing to take a partial refund and keep the book.

Absolutely try and work out a price reduction, and if not out the dealer. Even if the resto should have been caught, one can give the dealer benefit of the doubt that they missed it, but if they repeatedly insisted there was no resto, than they should make good on their mistake. If they don't then their word id no good, and they should be outed.

I feel your pain. I bought a SA book from a major dealer at Megacon also. In the past I was always apprehensive about dealing with this dealer because of what I considered to be generaly high prices or overgrading. (which ever) I had time so I dug through all the boxes and found a few books. One in particular was priced reasonable for what it was and something I've been after a while. Well, last week CGC posted in my order status - TRIMMED. :sick: I'm being optomistic and assuming the dealer probably just missed it. I certainly missed it.

Bad news is, I sent an e-mail to the dealer a week ago through thier web site, and still no reply. I even requested that it be forwarded to the Owner(dealer) if for some reason an empoyee is the person receiving the e-mail. :popcorn:

1) If you don't feel that you can detect resto you probably shouldn't be spending this kind of money on books. The cover is sealed to the pages and there's amateur reinforcement. That should be very easy to see with even a casual inspection. If you can't see that, you're better off sticking with slabbed books.

Actually, I think that the onus is on the dealer, who this buyer looked to for honest information, to detect and report the resto. It's the dealer who should have caught this and been able to discuss the book that he is selling in a knowledgeable manner. I don't blame the buyer, who clearly looked to the dealer to be a reputable and knowledgeable expert and source of information.

Actually, I think that the onus is on the dealer, who this buyer looked to for honest information, to detect and report the resto. It's the dealer who should have caught this and been able to discuss the book that he is selling in a knowledgeable manner. I don't blame the buyer, who clearly looked to the dealer to be a reputable and knowledgeable expert and source of information.

(thumbs u

I never said the onus wasn't on the dealer. He should have caught it. But would you go dropping several hundred dollars on something because a complete stranger told you it was ok?

My point is, until you feel confident that you can detect resto on your own, you probably should stick with books you can have some certainty on. This may come as a shock, but some dealers knowingly sell restored books as unrestored... :o:gossip: Yes, it's true. And some used car dealers sell damaged cars as undamaged. That's why people get them inspected before buying. Caveat emptor is an oft-quoted phrase for a reason.

I never said the onus wasn't on the dealer. He should have caught it. But would you go dropping several hundred dollars on something because a complete stranger told you it was ok?

My point is, until you feel confident that you can detect resto on your own, you probably should stick with books you can have some certainty on. This may come as a shock, but some dealers knowingly sell restored books as unrestored... :o:gossip: Yes, it's true. And some used car dealers sell damaged cars as undamaged. That's why people get them inspected before buying. Caveat emptor is an oft-quoted phrase for a reason.

The same thing happened to me over 3 years ago from an ebay purchase. I didn't notice the resto and sent it CGC. It came back Slight A with a tear seal. The next time I was looking for a book at my LCS, I was paying such close attention to the spine, that I didn't realize for a few minutes that the book was a Sup. #20 instead of an Action #20 :blush: I thought it was priced quite cheap. doh!

My point is that Sardo will be paying attention with his next raw purchase. We learn from our mistakes.

But by sending his purchase to CGC, he did check with his "mechanic" .....I've heard stories and had PM's from prominent GA board members who bought from reputable sources and BOTH buyer and seller didn't detect "slight glue on spine"....Bottom line is book turned out to be different than claimed and a refund should be attainable. Threaten to out him here if he doesn't comply!!!

But by sending his purchase to CGC, he did check with his "mechanic" .....I've heard stories and had PM's from prominent GA board members who bought from reputable sources and BOTH buyer and seller didn't detect "slight glue on spine"....Bottom line is book turned out to be different than claimed and a refund should be attainable. Threaten to out him here if he doesn't comply!!!

That is exactly what I am going to do. Although, I will give him the benefit of the doubt first and see if he does the right thing.