• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DAVID TOTH DC collection at HERITAGE

38 posts in this topic

Looks nice...

That's an understatement, if the books really match the grades. Last time I checked the previews, scans were not up for most books yet.

Perhaps this is the first of those mythical ultra-HG SA DC collections owned by "real" collectors that are finally starting to emerge from the woodworks. hm

That Bats 121 is NOT something you see in 9.4.That should be interesting.The GL 8 is one of my grail books but I know I'll be outbid.I wonder if this is the tip of the iceburg or if this is an original owner thing as most of the books have similar PQ and are thick in the late 50's to early 60's timeframe.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

That Bats 121 is NOT something you see in 9.4.That should be interesting.The GL 8 is one of my grail books but I know I'll be outbid.I wonder if this is the tip of the iceburg or if this is an original owner thing as most of the books have similar PQ and are thick in the late 50's to early 60's timeframe.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I agree with Jimbo. I have been looking for a high end copy of this book for a long time and since this is the highest book in the census, it will definitely bring a premium, more than I could spend on. doh!

Some off the hook books there. Adventure 290 in 9.8? Sheesh! Interesting how his Adventure 300 is only 8.5. Truly a rare book above VF!

That Flash 123 is georgous. The Lois Lane 1 in 7.5 makes my 6.5 look like bird cage liner!

Too many 9.4/9.6 books, wow....just wow!

Just wow, indeed! I, too, can't wait to see the scans of these books. The new updated census is full of high grade SA DC books acquiring highest grades.

My attitude towards these top end books has become "healthier" over recent years. I once had many highest graded copies, but no longer, as each update erodes away my list of highest graded issues. My change in attitude is that I can remain happy with a copy I already have. I now prefer to buy books I don't have rather than chase marginal upgrades. Obviously, I would like to upgrade my Adventure #290 CGC 9.4 for the CGC 9.8 copy but I still love my 9.4. My Superboy #77 CGC 9.0 and Adventure #275 CGC 9.2 have just been outgraded by 9.2 and 9.4 copies respectively. Mine were graded nearly eight years ago so they have had a good run as top copies. It's possible that if all four copies were put together I might still prefer mine. This lesson has taken me a long time to learn!

Same here...chasing upgrades provides minimal enjoyment imo as opposed to new aquisitions...and I had to learn the hard way too. Yeah I'll get upgrades now but never on the level I was doing a year ago. :eek:

Basically, I've come to expect "There's always something better out there" and I've come just enjoy what I have. It makes for a better experience. :)

I hear ya... Previously "highest graded" books that I spent a premium on (because they were "highest grade") are starting to fall in the ranks... This is unfortunate as I've had to take a loss when selling them as "second in command" when the opportunity came to upgrade.

It's frusterating to chase the highest graded, as I cringe every time the census comes out with a new high grade collection.

You just don't see these books in THAT grade. I took a look at the scans, and CGC wasn't overly lenient on the grade either. I'd love to hear about the history behind this David Toth.

But is it likely that a 123 will pop up better than a 9.4?

How many high end books are still socked away in a private collection unslabbed?

Darn... Why do so many high end books have to come out at the same time. Between Heritage and ComicLink, I will have some hard decisions...

How many high end books are still socked away in a private collection unslabbed?

No doubt quite a few. Two years ago posters were swearing up and down on this Forum that all the raw early SA HGs had to have been CGC'd or be out into the marketplace by then. Collectors were stupid not to. The old adage "collectors don't CGC unless they're selling" still applies. And there are many collectors who aren't selling...

Jim

No doubt quite a few. Two years ago posters were swearing up and down on this Forum that all the raw early SA HGs had to have been CGC'd or be out into the marketplace by then. Collectors were stupid not to. The old adage "collectors don't CGC unless they're selling" still applies. And there are many collectors who aren't selling...

Jim

Actually, the one thing I remember being sworn up and down on this Forum has held true, namely, that the vast majority of the great pedigree collections have surfaced already. Indeed, there hasn't been a single major SA pedigree find since 1999, when the Pacific Coast collection came to market.

Actually, the one thing I remember being sworn up and down on this Forum has held true, namely, that the vast majority of the great pedigree collections have surfaced already. Indeed, there hasn't been a single major SA pedigree find since 1999, when the Pacific Coast collection came to market.

Makes one wonder why this "Toth Collection" doesn't make the cut? It's supposedly OO with some major keys...

And if he was the OO then I can't believe the ones shown on Heritage are the only comics he had...

Jim

Makes one wonder why this "Toth Collection" doesn't make the cut? It's supposedly OO with some major keys...

And if he was the OO then I can't believe the ones shown on Heritage are the only comics he had...

Jim

wow, i guess heritage never thought of having it designated a pedigree. doesn't sound like they're earning their 19.5%.

Im sure they discussed it, so maybe Borock will explain why it fell short at some point. Any time a pretty large high grade collection shows up and gets slabbed I am SURE the pedigree question is asked and answered.

Im sure they discussed it, so maybe Borock will explain why it fell short at some point. Any time a pretty large high grade collection shows up and gets slabbed I am SURE the pedigree question is asked and answered.

:popcorn: why indeed?

my guess is that in the overall scheme of things, it just isnt large enough in numbers or breadth and lacks a significant number of keys. But IMO, while placing Toth on the label would make tracking these books easier, the Heritage database of scans will serve the same purpose, just a bit more work necessary. Same with the Toronto Collection....

I think CGC is hesitant to give the Pedigree label to any collections these days let alone a Silver Age one unless it is an absolutely incredible selection of books in terms of quality and quantity. The books in this collection are absolutely amazing but offhand on the quantity level it seems to fall a bit short. Surprised no collection notation though, you'd think this collection would deserve at least that but then again I guess David Toth isn't a celebrity in the real world or comic world.