• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The ol' sell the orignal ASM#1 deliver the Milestone reprint eBay scam

24 posts in this topic

Last Friday, I called this ebay seller (coffin6002) to verify that he and the Amazing Spider-Man #1 that he was offering even existed. His name is James Coffin. He agreed to allow me to pick it up in person after the auction ended. I said I wanted to withhold payment until I see the comic book. He wasn't agreeable to that hm. Saying that his wife was afraid of hold all that cash ($460.77). Now I'm not a social-economical profiler, so I'll refrain from commenting further. Anyway, I suspected a fraud was in the works so I drove to his house out in the country. He handed me a package that was taped up so tightly that it took me several minutes to open up. And what was inside . . . .a beat up Marvel Milestone reprint of ASM#1. Fearing that JAMES COFFIN was going to go deliverance on me, I walked to my car, and told him I wanted an immediate refund or else I was going to the sheriff's office to file a complaint. He yakked something about telling me on the telephone that he said it was a reprint (not true), and that he has sent dozens of emails to other prospective buyers (none of which was posted in the listing) stating that it was a reprint (not true). I ended the conversation with, 'I'm going to the Sheriff's Department'.

eBay listing that is a fraud

f8dd_1.JPG

Title of the auction:

THE AMAZING SPIDER MAN#1

Item Description

Item Specifics

Character : Spider-Man Age: Silver Age (1956-1969)

Product Type : Magazine Genre: Super Hero

THE AMAZING SPIDER -MAN # 1

..... to be continued . . .

dirt bag . . . . . that is so funny because that is what I've been calling him all weekend.

-- 220 mile round trip worth of gas.

Considering my last eBay cash for comic pick-up, I'm not complaining.

img032.jpg

I remember seeing that auction, but looked at the upper left area of the comic and stayed away...Maybe you could open a small claims complaint against the seller if you live in the ame state?

Eric

I remember seeing that auction, but looked at the upper left area of the comic and stayed away...Maybe you could open a small claims complaint against the seller if you live in the (s)ame state? Eric
I went straight to the Sheriff's Department. A complaint has been filed and noted in the paypal dispute. I called paypal direct yesterday. The agent I spoke with indicated that I'll probably win the dispute. However, it is going to take a couple weeks for my dispute to reach the desk of an investigator.

Based on the sellers demand to escalate the dispute inorder for paypal to unfreeze the money, it appears that he is more anxious to get his hands on my money than I am to have the monies returned to me.

Anyway, I suspected a fraud was in the works so I drove to his house out in the country. Fearing that JAMES COFFIN was going to go deliverance on me, I walked to my car, and told him I wanted an immediate refund or else I was going to the sheriff's office to file a complaint. I ended the conversation with, 'I'm going to the Sheriff's Department'.

I hope you get your money and everything works out for you. I guess personally I would have asked to pick up the book in a public place, so the fear of intimidation would have been lessened. But it's easy to judge from the backseat...

I hope you get your money and everything works out for you.

I'm pretty confident that paypal will rule in my favor.

I guess personally I would have asked to pick up the book in a public place, so the fear of intimidation would have been lessened.

It was my decision to go to his house. As I was driving, I started to get more suspicious of his intent. It was more convenient to go to his house and then go to the sheriff, rather than meet his wife another 15 miles down the road.

Last Friday, I called this ebay seller (coffin6002) to verify that he and the Amazing Spider-Man #1 that he was offering even existed. His name is James Coffin. He agreed to allow me to pick it up in person after the auction ended. I said I wanted to withhold payment until I see the comic book. He wasn't agreeable to that hm. Saying that his wife was afraid of hold all that cash ($460.77). Now I'm not a social-economical profiler, so I'll refrain from commenting further. Anyway, I suspected a fraud was in the works so I drove to his house out in the country. He handed me a package that was taped up so tightly that it took me several minutes to open up. And what was inside . . . .a beat up Marvel Milestone reprint of ASM#1. Fearing that JAMES COFFIN was going to go deliverance on me, I walked to my car, and told him I wanted an immediate refund or else I was going to the sheriff's office to file a complaint. He yakked something about telling me on the telephone that he said it was a reprint (not true), and that he has sent dozens of emails to other prospective buyers (none of which was posted in the listing) stating that it was a reprint (not true). I ended the conversation with, 'I'm going to the Sheriff's Department'.

eBay listing that is a fraud

f8dd_1.JPG

Title of the auction:

THE AMAZING SPIDER MAN#1

Item Description

Item Specifics

Character : Spider-Man Age: Silver Age (1956-1969)

Product Type : Magazine Genre: Super Hero

THE AMAZING SPIDER -MAN # 1

The amazing thing is that you actually expected to get a real ASM 1.

How many red flags do you need? You're lucky you didn't get shot going out to this guy's place.

How many red flags do you need? You're lucky you didn't get shot going out to this guy's place.

My low level of confidence that the comic book existed and that James Coffin would deliver it into my hands was only affirmed after I spoke to him personally on the telephone.

The red flag that I should have observed was the one that signaled -- if a seller refuses to meet in person and accept cash for the transaction, the prudent thing is to walk away from the deal.

Posting this experience is helping me avoid this mistake in the future.

Now you know. And knowing is half the battle.

And kicking'em in the nutsack so hard his eyeballs pop out of their sockets is the other half!

(thumbs u

Better shot ! , than the "Deliverance " alternative !! :o :o :o....BH..

My low level of confidence that the comic book existed and that James Coffin would deliver it into my hands was only affirmed after I spoke to him personally on the telephone.

The red flag that I should have observed was the one that signaled -- if a seller refuses to meet in person and accept cash for the transaction, the prudent thing is to walk away from the deal.

Posting this experience is helping me avoid this mistake in the future.

Have you filed a credit card dispute, if you paid with a CC?

Also, go to your local police department and file an incident report. Have this report faxed to PayPal, and make them privy to it.

You may also need to get a third party involved to supply PayPal with a third "opinion" on the authenticity of the comic,

Eric