• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Red Hook Banned....

273 posts in this topic

I like red hook, adds a lot to the forum, don't the heads like Steve B have any say in these matters? I think the moderators over react on some things, I wonder if they dress up in Police uniforms before logging in? The CGC forum seems to be more like a police run state than what is was quite a few years back, at least then it was just witch hunters, now it's the boys in blue and witch hunters, jeez. And as for the moderators, they don't even reply to you when you ask them something of relevance, do they get paid for their job or is it all just for kicks?

herc

You've got to be joking. Things have tightened up some in the last year (thankfully), but overall the level of tolerance they display is extremely high.

Were there extenuating circumstances (meaning how much of a *spoon* goonchild was being)?

I don't see how this would enter into it, as there are no valid reasons for attempting to commit fraud. I'm sure in the real world the "But your Honor, he's a *spoon*" defense would go off without a hitch. :insane:

Were there extenuating circumstances (meaning how much of a *spoon* goonchild was being)?

I don't see how this would enter into it, as there are no valid reasons for attempting to commit fraud. I'm sure in the real world the "But your Honor, he's a *spoon*" defense would go off without a hitch. :insane:

You're probably right Vince, but the issue is that this is not the "real" world and quite honestly, the fraud was stopped before it was really completed. Now his intent was the same, I agree.

I'm not offering it as an "excuse" in total for the behavior, but in a sentencing context in the criminal court, mitigating circumstances that may have motivated the defendant to act in an unusual fashion are taken into account. Thus, while the defendant still ought to be punished, there must be some consideration given to the circumstances.

Sigh...another banning.

And a well-deserved one I have to say. He did a really immature, stupid thing. And actions must have consequences, although our society doesn't always reflect that.

See ya! :hi:

Thus, while the defendant still ought to be punished, there must be some consideration given to the circumstances.

Agreed, and as stated, Dena & Co. did mull it over, and finally decided to ban him.

I like red hook, adds a lot to the forum, don't the heads like Steve B have any say in these matters? I think the moderators over react on some things, I wonder if they dress up in Police uniforms before logging in? The CGC forum seems to be more like a police run state than what is was quite a few years back, at least then it was just witch hunters, now it's the boys in blue and witch hunters, jeez. And as for the moderators, they don't even reply to you when you ask them something of relevance, do they get paid for their job or is it all just for kicks?

herc

You've got to be joking. Things have tightened up some in the last year (thankfully), but overall the level of tolerance they display is extremely high.

Yeah, Lance's middle name is 'Hyperbole'. However...

His point is not far wide of the mark. This isn't the place it was and tolerance is much reduced. The Red Hook decision is a poor one, one that smells just a bit of convenience. Sure, Brad gave them the opportunity in gift-wrapping, but there seems to be no weight given to his real world conduct, the aid he has given many here, the knowledge and passion that he has displayed time and time again. Neither was any weight given to the target of Brad's lunacy...a scum-bag eBay shiller who had previously given Steve Borock the big FU under one of his many previous IDs.

What Brad did was stupid, unethical and simply wrong.

But a life-time ban for it?

I think not. :(

Yes it is

Kenny, since you are now in the business of pressing books, don't you think you could be accused of being self-serving too? Now that you're (theoretically) going to be profiting from the practice? Your position changed 180 degrees on the issues once you decided on restoration as a career path. Not judging, just pointing it out.

The other thing is....I am totally convinced that pressing books is not a secret art. Why not show us how you do it exactly? With photos. You used to show us lots of demos about how you played around with books. If you really are trying to convince people that pressing with heat and moisture is harmless.....well....show us. I do not think this is a state secret.

And please don't use the excuse that you signed some kind of non-disclosure. Talk to Matt....it might be the right time to just do a simple demonstration to prove your point. Help bring the debate to an end, by showing us what's involved.

You are the guys that are treating it like some kind of DARK ART. It's not. And frankly, I don't think it takes that much skill. Once you have the setup in your basement, I can't believe it's that difficult.

One other question: Have you personally practiced disassembly pressing? I assume you must. One last thing. When are you going to show examples of your work? I find it odd that you have been presenting yourself as an expert over the last six months and yet, not a single example of your work has been produced.

Note to the moderators: This is not trolling. This is an honest inquiry.

A quote from RH.....

'Troop -

Just to be clear. Chris is the Beyonder and it is funny to even think of him running a press on a comic book. Ze-Man is Kenny who has studied a little with Matt. From your posts, it looks like you may be confused. I know i am. But I like Chris and Kenny both and want to make sure you are talking to the right guy.

--S.

Not sure why troop pulled out that old post from Brad, but I dont need mis information like this floating around out there. I will say again what I originally said to Brad when he wrote that post. I am not in business to press books, I do not press books for Matt(unless it is part of a resto process). My training with Matt has everything to do with learning restoration techniques and nothing to do with pressing books just to press books. Have I pressed books before?.. of course but the number is few and far between.

While frustrating to many I am not about to make videos of how to safely press comics because all that would do is enable/encourage people to press books on their own. And that's all I am going to say about this here because we sure don't need to rehash this topic, again.

Best of luck Brad, sorry to see how this all unfolded, or rather turned out for you. Life is short, too short to be overly worried about a chat board anyways.

herc

Wow, a herc sighting. :hi:

The mods did the right thing. I recall a great deal of amazement in the original scam thread that RH had only been suspended and not immediately banned. I'm not one of those people who believes a history of good deeds somehow provides a get out of jail free card when someone does something wrong. He got what he deserved.

The mods did the right thing. I recall a great deal of amazement in the original scam thread that RH had only been suspended and not immediately banned. I'm not one of those people who believes a history of good deeds somehow provides a get out of jail free card when someone does something wrong. He got what he deserved.

No, but the first time something goes wrong, you don't turn your back on him either.

I didn't always see eye to eye with RH, but he's a great person and always there when a friend needs a hand.

There's two sides to every story, so don't be so quick to light the torches.

Judging by some of the reactions, if I did not know any better I would think he really did pass away. He got banned. He has had shill accounts before, so the odds are that he will create one again. His actions showed that he is no better than anyone else, so why would he rise above the other banned members and not create a shill? The real question is how long until he gets caught?