• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Label CGC VS. Old Label CGC

22 posts in this topic

First off, let me say I am new to this forum. I have looked here for a few questions I had about comics and have found most of the answers with the search option. This question I couldn't find, so here goes my first post....

I have been buying some CGC comics lately and noticed that there are two different(regular grade, not altered-restored, etc.)labels. I am assuming that one is an older label from when CGC first started and now there is a new one with the number predominantly displayed to the upper left corner. Here is the question....

Is and old label CGC label comic the same as a new label?

Example: An old label 8.0 is the same as a new label 8.0 as far as condition.

Does an old label 8.0 have the same value of a new label 8.0?

The background of the question is that I come from a baseball card background and PSA which is a top grading company has older loooking labels from when they started grading and now have newer ones. Grading standards for the earlier label PSA cards are different than the new ones, therefore when selling and buying most people go into the transaction with their "eyes wide open" and more often than not the item is sold for less, sometimes much less, than what a new label certified would bring in the exact same grade. I just simply want to know so that I do not make the same mistake.

As a bonus question, on a Golden age comic, How much does a letter written in pen on the cover (about 1" X 1" and very visible) affect the value on a 9.6 CGC graded comic?

Thank you to all in advance for your input.

First off, let me say I am new to this forum. I have looked here for a few questions I had about comics and have found most of the answers with the search option. This question I couldn't find, so here goes my first post....

I have been buying some CGC comics lately and noticed that there are two different(regular grade, not altered-restored, etc.)labels. I am assuming that one is an older label from when CGC first started and now there is a new one with the number predominantly displayed to the upper left corner. Here is the question....

Is and old label CGC label comic the same as a new label?

Example: An old label 8.0 is the same as a new label 8.0 as far as condition.

Does an old label 8.0 have the same value of a new label 8.0?

The background of the question is that I come from a baseball card background and PSA which is a top grading company has older loooking labels from when they started grading and now have newer ones. Grading standards for the earlier label PSA cards are different than the new ones, therefore when selling and buying most people go into the transaction with their "eyes wide open" and more often than not the item is sold for less, sometimes much less, than what a new label certified would bring in the exact same grade. I just simply want to know so that I do not make the same mistake.

As a bonus question, on a Golden age comic, How much does a letter written in pen on the cover (about 1" X 1" and very visible) affect the value on a 9.6 CGC graded comic?

Thank you to all in advance for your input.

I try to buy old labels as much as possible. In my opinion, there is less chance these comics have been pressed or dry cleaned... :devil:

There are various theories about whether CGC was more strict or too lenient during this time. I think it all evens out in the end. One change is they did grade page quality stricter with the old labels so it entirely possible to get a page bump should you resubmit it.

One possible problem you may have with older labeled books is something called SCS (can't remember what it means right now). The old slabs allowed the comic to move within the well. As a result, the comic could get damaged if the slab is shakken around a bit. Newer slabs aare supposed to solve the problem but it still exists there as well...

Jim

SCS = Shaken Comic Syndrome

And it does still happen in new holders. Last week someone tried to sell me a slabbed early X-Men graded 9.6. It was in a new slab and he claimed he had just had it graded before Christmas of last year. However, the lower right corner had SCS and was folded under at an almost perfect 45 degree angle. So now the book was probably just a 9.0 or so, in a 9.6 slab. Naturally he was insulted when I made my offer based on a Raw 9.0 price It was one of the best examples of SCS I had seen though.

As for old vs new grading, opinions do vary wildly. Some people say that CGC was easier on high grade silver and gold books on the old label. Other people say the old label was tougher on moderns, and is more relaxed now. Other people say that from 8.0 and up, the old labels were more accurate, while others say that new label books are more accurately graded from 4.0 and down. You hear everything, so I think it is a wash in the long run. On average they are no better or worse. I do think they have gotten better at hardcore resto detection, so new labels are probably better for resto detection. Of course they could also spot color touch and the other obvious stuff, so no different there. I think they have gotten better at spotting trimming, chemical cleaning and other major restoration that requires disassembly of the book. So if I were buying a multi-thousand dollar book, I might feel a bit more confortable with new labels, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker necessarily.

To me their grading has gotten even tighter as they have moved forward.I used to disagree with many of their 6.0 range books and now it seems their 6.0 is often a very nice book.It's still better to make your decision from a large scan and to call for graders notes where you can find out about interior cover stock tanning.They have gotten VERY consistent.I would imagine that your book with the writing on an otherwise 9.6 would not grade higher than 9.0 and probably 8.5.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Thank you all for the feedback. The item I was interrested in was graded by SGC "old label" a 9.2. Upon looking at a great scan of the book, I would agree that is a correct grade.

The 9.6 I was referring to in my first post is a book I am looking to acquire that is a "new label" 9.6 Golden age with a letter A written in pen on the front. I was just wondering what the writing does to the value or is a 9.6 a 9.6 when you reach that lofty of a grade on a Golen Age.

Thank you all for the feedback. The item I was interrested in was graded by SGC "old label" a 9.2. Upon looking at a great scan of the book, I would agree that is a correct grade.

The 9.6 I was referring to in my first post is a book I am looking to acquire that is a "new label" 9.6 Golden age with a letter A written in pen on the front. I was just wondering what the writing does to the value or is a 9.6 a 9.6 when you reach that lofty of a grade on a Golen Age.

If they're calling it a 9.6 with the writing it must be a d@mn nice book.Writing is allowed in the higher grades if not too garish.Many pedigree collections have writing.Mile High's and White Mountain copies are two prime examples.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Writing or date stamps tend to devalue the book somewhat in most collectors' opinions. As Jimbo mentioned though, there are some pedigrees such as the Green River Pedigree, which have date stamps and are generally more valuable. The other variable that affects value is the location of the writing/stamp, size of it, and how legible it is.

Writing or date stamps tend to devalue the book somewhat in most collectors' opinions. As Jimbo mentioned though, there are some pedigrees such as the Green River Pedigree, which have date stamps and are generally more valuable. The other variable that affects value is the location of the writing/stamp, size of it, and how legible it is.
I will add to this:

The date stamp on the Green River's were almost always stamped in the most discreet spot on the cover.

I will add to this:

The date stamp on the Green River's were almost always stamped in the most discreet spot on the cover.

The whole purpose of a date stamp was to be discreetly VISIBLE! :makepoint:

I will add to this:

Wrong! :grin:

I will add to this:

I beg your pardon . . . :grin:

I will add to this:

You heard me. :grin:

I will add to this:

Pray tell . . . :gossip:

I will add to this:

hm I'm not one for many words but, In a collector's point of view, it is preferable for a date stamp to be located in a spot on the cover that does not interfere with the art. I thought everyone knew that. :grin:

I will add to this:

hm I'm not one for many words but, In a collector's point of view, it is preferable for a date stamp to be located in a spot on the cover that does not interfere with the art. I thought everyone knew that. :grin:

I knew you misunderstood my comment. I was addressing the original purpose that a date stamped was affixed to a book's cover - so the retailer would know when to return the book to the distributor. We used to stamp and mark books at the drug store, and the last place you'd want to put a date was where you couldn't see it. Consequently, stamps and dates were almost universally (without thought) placed in white or yellow areas of the book. Mind you, we were stamping 100 books or so at a time. . . :grin: