• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15

23 posts in this topic

Okay, so here it is. It's got some color touch on the cover, and I suspect there may have been some trimming involved. The original owner paid $2000 for it last year and he sold it to my friend for $1400. Grade? Thoughts?

amazingfantasyfront015.jpg

amazingfantasyback015.jpg

:gossip: I'd be shocked if there isn't trimming on both the top and side edges. I'd also say the Stan Lee signature looks pretty legit. Looks like some possible CT on the upper right corner. Yeah, she's a resto book.. that said, when you consider when coverless copies are going for... doesn't seem like this is too bad of a deal really. I'd say... VG grade thanks to the trimming and CT, so... at 40% of guide... yeah, looks fine to me.

Worst case, if it's a little more than minor resto and considered moderate, give it a year. This will only go up in value. (thumbs u

The color touch is very apparent. Whoever did it used black marker or something to darken the word balloon, some of the contours of the building, etc. The marker bled through the cover, so you can sorta see it on the inside of the cover. As far as I know, there's no CT where you specified, Forrest, but I could be wrong! I'm not really sure how else to detect this stuff.

D--I'm looking at the scan now from my work computer and I'm less inclined to think the upper right is CT and more likely some mild foxing. The lighting in bedroom (where I was when I looked at this yesterday) plays around with my laptop monitor.

I'd also add that my estimate of it's value doesn't factor in the Stan Lee sig. Because this looks to be a legitimate Stan signature, I'd be willing to say this will increase its value to some extent. I recall a signed copy on Metro (unrestored low grade) that sold for a higher price than its unsigned counterparts.

The PQ looks to be pretty decent from the sneak-peep thanks to the slight roll/miswrap. Yeah... the more I look at this copy, the more I think your friend got a really solid deal. *10:24am and my AF 15 has flared up again*

FC - app 5.0-5.5, but the BC has multiple issues and probably drags the grade down into the app 4.0 range as most have suggested. It's nice having the defects on the BC if you intend to buy and keep.......... :cloud9:

MacMan, thanks for the comments. I don't think the signature is a forgery. I mean who'd go through the trouble to deface a book as expensive as this. It just doesn't make sense. But who knows...

IMO that's definately Stan's signature.

I'd say that he got a great deal on a classic book that presents real well. Bummer on trimming, but outside a slab, it's just one more thing to describe it.

It's an AF15 for goodness sakes alive. Very cool.