• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Early Cerebus appearances...

16 posts in this topic

Picked this Nucleus #1 (May 1979) up recently and was surprised to find a Cerebus story in it (p. 2-6). The Kennedy Guide states this is the first appearance of Cerebus outside his own series, but the fanzine Gratis I have came out a year before this so Nucleus #1 is probably the first appearance of Cerebus in a comic book outside his own series. Fogel's Guide has this listed at $30 in 9.4 and the new OS (2008) has it at $65 in 9.2.

56288-Gratis1(2).jpg

56817-Nucleus1.jpg.dd5668c5fa8f2dc3a62fa6dad4d8b6ee.jpg

They are probably worth much more to the right interested buyer. Interest in Dave Sim specifically but Cerebus too, seems to be waning.

I would love for some of that waning interest to translate into high grade copies of 1-15 for sale to me. :wishluck:

They will turn up. I haven't done a study or checked the Overstreet, but I remember a friend named Glen Storrie paying really high prices for the first Cerebus comics, while the comic was fairly early in the run (perhaps about the time #100 came out). By the time I sold my early issues, two or three years ago, I couldn't get what he had paid.

Now that Cerebus has come to an end, it is becoming forgotten. Later issues are virtually worthless. I have about 60 of them after issue 40. I can't get rid of them at any price. The later issues can be found in 3 for $1.00 bins everywhere. It seems that Dave's reputation has cut into sales on his two most recent ventures. Almost nobody wants them.

Though I have never been much good at predicting the future, Cerebus may become an oddity of the 1970's and loose much of its collectable value.

Be patient.

Most comic collectors have switched to square bound reprint compilations like the Cerebus phonebooks that fit rather neatly on their bookshelves. This plus the fact that Dave Sim slabbed his personal hi-grade file copies has dropped the retail price on Cerebus #1 in vg+ which used to be hi-grade for this black spined, low print run self-published mag from 1977. :blahblah:

Most comic collectors have switched to square bound reprint compilations like the Cerebus phonebooks that fit rather neatly on their bookshelves. This plus the fact that Dave Sim slabbed his personal hi-grade file copies has dropped the retail price on Cerebus #1 in vg+ which used to be hi-grade for this black spined, low print run self-published mag from 1977. :blahblah:

yep, he killed demand on his own book. ouch doh!

Now that Cerebus has come to an end, it is becoming forgotten. Later issues are virtually worthless. I have about 60 of them after issue 40. I can't get rid of them at any price. The later issues can be found in 3 for $1.00 bins everywhere. It seems that Dave's reputation has cut into sales on his two most recent ventures. Almost nobody wants them.

Which issues do you have? I'm interested :D

Also, there's the Cerebus Bi-Weekly from 1988 and 1989, which reprinted all of the pre-High Society issues in their entirety (including ads and letter pages), giving those who just wanted to see what these issues looked like a place to do so without having to buy the originals.

Was just watching CerebusTV (cerebustv.com) and saw some early Cerebus sig series slabs in the intro.. graded CGC 10! :o

Just checked the census. There are 9.9 and/or 10 SS slabs of issues 5, 6, 7, and 9! :o :o

Talk about nice file copies!

I love the part of the phone conversation where McFarlane asks Dave for his email address, Dave says he doesn't have one and then gives Todd his fax number.

Also the 20-minute-long explanation for why Cerebus Archive is moving to online Comixpress sales was, well, long. (but nicely edited :) )

It was fun to see what artwork Dave has up on his walls.