• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To crack or not to crack - what is your opinion on cracking slabs?

77 posts in this topic

I don't feel the need to crack books out .I have another question here!,to keep the CGC census correct once you have cracked the slab do you inform CGC that you have done so?If not could'nt that in some way change the value of some books?

I've never cracked a slab as I have other copies or TPBs if I ever wanted to read it.

Cracking it out seems to be short-sighted if I ever have to sell it in an emergency or for whatever reason.

I cracked a CGC 6.5 FF1 to enjoy it (has white pages). It's mine for the keeping and NO one else's. So why would I keep it slabbed?

It sleeps in mylar and sees it's Dad at least twice a week...

Sure, but unless you slab it again you'll never get 100% of your money back.... cracking books over 100 bucks or books that are worth a certain amount because they were slabbed in grade, I would never crack. 2c

Money back?

To me, it's a hobby not a financial interest. Always has..always will be. Stocks, bonds, CDs, 401k's, savings, are alternative (and better I think) financial money makers. To each his/her own, but I could care less if my $13k investment in this book appreciates or depreciates in economic value.

Thanks for the comments.

I've been wondering how my fellow board members felt about cracking slabs.

Basically, I buy slabbed books for two reasons - accurate grading & resto check (especially on older and/or more expensive books). For me, the plastic casing is simply packaging. I view CGC's service similar to a home inspector or taking a used car to a mechanic before you purchase it.

However, I don't buy super-high grade books either. Perhaps my view on cracking slabs would be different if I was paying a premium for 9.6/9.8 books, although I have cracked a couple 9.4's and didn't cringe.

So, what are your opinions about cracking slabs? Do you do it? Does it make you cringe when others do it? Have you ever cracked a high grade book?

I buy slabs for three reasons - accurate grading, resto check and to prevent me from potentialy damaging it by reading. If I want to read it, I'll buy a trade or a low grade reader copy. I treat my slabs like an artifact-- with extreme care.

I don't feel the need to crack books out .I have another question here!,to keep the CGC census correct once you have cracked the slab do you inform CGC that you have done so?If not could'nt that in some way change the value of some books?
YES to your first question and i've seen the census population of certain slabbed books being used as a selling point.

I cracked a CGC 6.5 FF1 to enjoy it (has white pages). It's mine for the keeping and NO one else's. So why would I keep it slabbed?

Oh, for s sake. Let's blow another note for a little while. :pullhair:

Doc,

So, you don't EAT & SLEEP with those 9.8 New X-Men's ??

Oh, for s sake. Let's blow another note for a little while. :pullhair:

Doc,

So, you don't EAT & SLEEP with those 9.8 New X-Men's ??

That will be tough to do now that they're going to be residing in other collections.

Sure, but unless you slab it again you'll never get 100% of your money back.... cracking books over 100 bucks or books that are worth a certain amount because they were slabbed in grade, I would never crack. 2c

Money back?

To me, it's a hobby not a financial interest. Always has..always will be. Stocks, bonds, CDs, 401k's, savings, are alternative (and better I think) financial money makers. To each his/her own, but I could care less if my $13k investment in this book appreciates or depreciates in economic value.

Thanks for the comments.

If you say so :whistle:

Nope. I just :censored: 'em when I'm horny.

Do you insert in the FRONT or BACK cover?

With a handle like peewee22, does it really matter? (shrug)

Doc,

I'm gonna put the brakes on after that comment. This guy deserves his thread to stay clean and focused on the slabbing subject.

See you around.

- Brannon