• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hulk #1 just purchased on eBay...did I make a foolish gamble?

45 posts in this topic

Well, I finally pulled the trigger on one of my grails tonight:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=190215633838&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=009

I stumbled across the auction while looking at newly listed items...the price seemed right, and these don't come up for sale very often so I went ahead and hit the BIN without conducting my usual "research" before a big-ticket purchase (such as asking for lots of larger pics of the book). But I figured if I took the time to ask for more info. the book would be gone. I feel it was a calculated risk...the seller does have good feedback and says he accepts returns. I paid instantly and the seller has already left me positive feedback and emailed me to let me know the book was going out via Priority Mail tomorrow. So please wish me luck that it arrives in the promised 1.5 - 2.0 grade without any glaring hidden defects or restoration! :wishluck: :wishluck:

You have the $2,000 Paypal buyer's protection and according to some forumites, PP will cover any potential loss if it gets to a claim and they find in your favour. This does not depend on the seller having $$ in their account either.

I can't remember for sure but I think Hulk 1 has an ad page for FF 5 that is sometimes missing.I know FF 5 has one for Hulk 1.If the pages are all there you got a keeper.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I can't remember for sure but I think Hulk 1 has an ad page for FF 5 that is sometimes missing.I know FF 5 has one for Hulk 1.If the pages are all there you got a keeper.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I go along with good old Jimbo here (good to see you back btw). I still feel Hulk 1 is undervalued, even after the surgees it has seen. I think you got a good deal. Please lettuce know the outcome.

I think you will be ok. He has the rest of the run up for sale as well, with matching photos, so highly unlikely this is a scam. It seems like the seller was pretty dilligent about describing the defects, which is another good sign.

Nice grab Fiend!

I picked up a Hulk 1 myself a couple of months ago. Yours looks good, no marvel chipping ( which I hate ). Big crease from the bottom there, but looks sound.

Artboy99

Thanks guys...and I feel confident it isn't a scam Andy, I'm just hoping the grade given is close! It looks great in the pic...for whatever thats worth...and I don't mind the huge crease but was more concerned about the big tape pull. (shrug)

If the purchase pans out (and of course after I read it a few times :cloud9:)...I would love to have Stan sign it at a SS event. Anybody know when's the next Stan SS opportunity?

Anyway, will post scans in the grading forum when received! (thumbs u

I think it's likely a good buy. The bulk of the cover has good eye appeal, and it appears that it is the tape pull that makes it a 2.0 or so. The thing I would worry about is if the spine is split, but I think the buyer would have mentioned that.

The tape pull is in a good place and not overly distracting.

I think your instincts were good! Let us know how it looks when you get it!

I think you did very well.

I bought one off ebay recently in worse condition than it seemed in the ad. But even if you end up like me, at $800 you got a good deal.

They are hard to find. In Chicago, last year, one dealer told me that, "The god has no idea of it's worth". I thought he was speaking of the comic book god, maybe Galactus, but after I realized that he was from Georgia and couldn't say "eye" it made more sense. There were only five in the entire Chicago dealers room last year, three in lower grade, two at 5.5. You got a far better deal than any of those assuming it is at least a 1.5. Congratulations.