• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Inventory Box stolen at NY show

72 posts in this topic

Are you allowed to setup your own camera surveillance at these shows? Even a set of webcams on a latop are better than nothing, and I've seen low-cost systems at The Source/Best Buy, etc.

Often, just having cameras of any type keeps the perps away from your booth.

Sorry to hear Bob. :(

Where's MK? hm

First thing I thought of when seeing it was X-Krap books.

Of course you were second... :baiting:

Sorry to hear about the thieft.

Hope you get the books back. :wishluck:

Good luck in the recovery, Bob!

If any of the books are easily identifiable, you might want to notify CGC as well in case some of the books are submitted.

I have contacted Papertowel Man,... he is on the case.

papertowelkid.jpg

forget towelman I found the guy right in the picture :golfclap:

the old guy with the black hat on see how his arms are flexed like he's carring a large box.. :baiting:

All kidding aside this has to be the next mess feeling in the world...1st is walking in on your wife in bed with the owner of your favorit comic shop.. :boo:

In regards to security cameras..I believe promoters are more concerned about selling their

tables and ticket sales.

It's not about promoters. They have to rent the space from a hotel or convention center. Those places already have cameras installed. If he files a police report the police will ask the owner of the space to see their security camera footage.

Are you allowed to setup your own camera surveillance at these shows? Even a set of webcams on a latop are better than nothing, and I've seen low-cost systems at The Source/Best Buy, etc.

I was thinking the same thing. A simple setup - even one wide angle camera maybe mounted atop the wall book rack, could really help.

I feel for you Bob. A maddening and helpless feeling. About 14 years ago, our house was broken into during the day. We live out in the country so there's not a lot of neighbors to keep an eye out. It was some young, clueless punks who weren't very bright. They took the TV & VCR but left the stereo which was worth far more. They didn't take my wife's jewelry either. They did steal about 100 of my CD's. But the thing that pissed me off the most was they got all of my concert ticket stubbs. Worthless except to me.

I will add that I made a record store's day in Ann Arbor due to the loss of the CD's. I had a list of what was taken and the insurance company told me to go buy them and they'd reimburse me. So, I went to this store on campus in Ann Arbor. They did the obligatory "Can I help you find anything?" and I answered "As a matter of fact, yes. I need this list." All of the sudden they were grabbing other employees and scrambling to collect my list with me. Impressively, they had 95 out of the 100 and special ordered the remaining 5.

I will add that I made a record store's day in Ann Arbor due to the loss of the CD's. I had a list of what was taken and the insurance company told me to go buy them and they'd reimburse me. So, I went to this store on campus in Ann Arbor. They did the obligatory "Can I help you find anything?" and I answered "As a matter of fact, yes. I need this list." All of the sudden they were grabbing other employees and scrambling to collect my list with me. Impressively, they had 95 out of the 100 and special ordered the remaining 5.

I bet record store's (perhaps we are showing our age as they don't carry records anymore hehe) regularily get customers who have had their collections stolen. A lot of low lifes out there stealing CD's.

That sucks bro-maybe this will give you some small feeling of consolation-I walk into the post office to mail out some comics I sold in my ebay store. I put my week old pair of 150$ revo sunglasses down on the counter for 30 seconds while i'm writing a return address on one of the packages, about a foot and a half to my left. I look up and they are gone. There were only two people who could have taken them, a guy and a lady. I ask the guy if he saw what happened to them or if he noticed them sitting there-and I could tell his answer was honest"No sir I surely didn't." Then I look over at the lady standing in line with a purse, and she's giggling. I know they are in her purse, and there is nothing I can do about it. I keep eyeing her and she's making nervous little glances over to me...ugh. A lady in her late 40's...

My advice-most likely its a thief who is stealing for the sale's value, which means he's got to unload them. Give your list to the local comic stores around the convention area and keep checking ebay and craigslist to find a match.

Yeah, saying "record stores" does date many of us here. Heck, probably buying CD's at stores will be gone in 10 years.

My kids barely know what a cassette is, and are losing track of what a CD is. They've moved on to IPod's and whatever else.

Yeah, saying "record stores" does date many of us here. Heck, probably buying CD's at stores will be gone in 10 years.

My kids barely know what a cassette is, and are losing track of what a CD is. They've moved on to IPod's and whatever else.

It's the classic situation "Now I know how my parent's felt. " lol

I was thinking the same thing. A simple setup - even one wide angle camera maybe mounted atop the wall book rack, could really help.

Unless you're running on batteries that can go an entire convention day, you'll need power. (A lot of people don't pay for power if it's an extra cost.) Then, you also run the risk of someone stealing your notebook computer as well (which seems to be the logical choice for the video storage.)

But yes, a wide area video setup attached to your display rack could probably happen for less than $750.00 total. (including extended cables which you could run along the A-frame of your racks.)

Wireless USB cameras would require more money and batteries.

Unless you're running on batteries that can go an entire convention day, you'll need power. (A lot of people don't pay for power if it's an extra cost.) Then, you also run the risk of someone stealing your notebook computer as well (which seems to be the logical choice for the video storage.)

But yes, a wide area video setup attached to your display rack could probably happen for less than $750.00 total. (including extended cables which you could run along the A-frame of your racks.)

Wireless USB cameras would require more money and batteries.

Steve Ritter had a video set-up at last year's SD convention.