• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What to do with my Superman #1?

24 posts in this topic

It was last year about this time that I found a Superman #1 here in the cornfields of Indiana.

Link to that Gold Comics Forum Thread:

How much should I offer for a Superman #1 (coverless)?

superman1.jpg

Over the past year, I've been watching the coverless copies come up for sale and thought it was worth $3000. Then last night, a Superman #1 without the centerfold w\ a Repro-Cover sold for $6,899.00!

ebay listing: Superman #1

I'm wondering if I should have a repro-cover made and send it to be slabbed, or keep it as is?

Books like that are always tough. I wonder if the fake cover makes it present well in the case and caused it to sell for more. Really a shame that CGC would encapsulate the book with the false cover. I'd just do what you are doing and wait for the right buyer to pay for it in cash. You might be able to use it for trade and still get pretty close to full value for it. Can't think of what I'd rather have though unless it just doesn't fit your collection of 9.4 FF's.

I'd just do what you are doing and wait for the right buyer to pay for it in cash.
Good advice. When the right buyer comes along, proceeds will go into the tabcom, jr. college fund.

Fedoraman makes nice reproduction covers. Probably a good candidate for the new NG grade slab if you want it encapsulated, but I think it would look much nicer with a repro cover inside a nice myllite-2 with a full back. This way you give the new buyer the possibility to display it with a nice cover or do whatever he wants with it and you don't fork out any more big money to get it slabbed.

I agree that a nice reproduction cover will probably add to the value on that book. (Though I'd make sure to keep the piece of the original)

In a million years I never would've guessed that coverless action 1 would sell for as much as it did on Clink, so maybe I'm out of touch with the market, but that price on the Sup 1 that just finished on eBay seems very high to me. That auction was a little misleading IMO. It doesn't mention anything about the cover being missing until very far down in the auction description (and even then is called wrapper not cover) and there is not a very clear picture of the CGC label that I could find. Its not out of the realm of possibility that the buyer is not 100% clear on what it is he's buying which might explain the price.

My opinion is that your initial thought was correct and a coverless sup 1 is worth somewhere in the $3k range. But eBay and the comic market in general have been pretty weird lately. if you're ready to sell maybe its worth throwing up on eBay no reserve and seeing what happens?

It was last year about this time that I found a Superman #1 here in the cornfields of Indiana.

Link to that Gold Comics Forum Thread:

How much should I offer for a Superman #1 (coverless)?

superman1.jpg

Over the past year, I've been watching the coverless copies come up for sale and thought it was worth $3000. Then last night, a Superman #1 without the centerfold w\ a Repro-Cover sold for $6,899.00!

ebay listing: Superman #1

I'm wondering if I should have a repro-cover made and send it to be slabbed, or keep it as is?

My god do my eyes deceive me or are there partial signatures of both Byrne AND the Bunky Brothers? That alone dictates keeping that cover piece intact!!!

At this point I would do nothing with it unless you are going to sell it now. I defintiely agree with the sentiment that at least a PIECE of the original cover is there and it should nt be lost, even if you end up getting a cover repro at some point or, even better, an original cover you can marry to the interior. No need at this point to rush into a decision. Keep it in a good mylar with fullback and ocassionally take it out and enjoy those extra pages missing from Action 1. That's the ticket!

Well thats because a complete coverless Superman # 1 IS WORTH 8K TO 10K Retail....You sell it for 3k and it will be gone in 3 seconds..Its worth quite a bit more to be honest. No way a complete coverless copy goes for 3k.

Well thats because a complete coverless Superman # 1 IS WORTH 8K TO 10K Retail....You sell it for 3k and it will be gone in 3 seconds..Its worth quite a bit more to be honest. No way a complete coverless copy goes for 3k.

we had a complete coverless superman 1 in NY this weekend, and it sold, but not in 3 sec (3 days) and at only $3K (shrug)

3K for a coverless Superman 1 sounds reasonable, 8-10K for a coverless copy sounds ridiculous (think Action 1 coverless for 22K) rantrant unless the coverless copy is in extremely nice condition with great page quality.

If you sold a coverless complete superman # 1 for 3k than I will suck it up and say I was wrong...You cannot argue with results.

it was priced at $3500....only 1 really interested patron ( a few tire kickers).... negotiated it down to $3K on a Credit card (so had to pay CC fees too lol )

it was a decent copy, too

David T Alexander's coverless Supes 1 sold a couple months ago for around $2700 on a single bid, had it ended a Lonely death I was going to offer $2400 and see what happened.

Certainly I'd be delighted to pay $3K for your partial cover copy, and hope for a front cover to drop into my lap some day.

The ebay Supes seller just got lucky, I'd say.

Rickster

David T Alexander's coverless Supes 1 sold a couple months ago for around $2700 on a single bid,
I have an eBay search string for Superman #1 that I get email updates daily.

I watched that copy listed several times over a couple months at BIN$7200. When he lowered the price to BIN$2999, it was snatched quickly.

Too many unanswered questions . . . I had to list it in the tabcom ebay store!

DSC00372.jpg

Sticker Price: $11,939.00

(this is not a sales solicitation -- posted for fellow goldees amusement only)

David T Alexander's coverless Supes 1 sold a couple months ago for around $2700 on a single bid, had it ended a Lonely death I was going to offer $2400 and see what happened.

Certainly I'd be delighted to pay $3K for your partial cover copy, and hope for a front cover to drop into my lap some day.

The ebay Supes seller just got lucky, I'd say.

Rickster

Yes, and that was for months after being offered as a BIN for $6500-$7000 with no takers...