• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What single issue, story arch, or graphic novel most deserves to be a film?

42 posts in this topic

I read about Jack Hughman was offered multi-million dollars to sign for X-Men 3 Movie and a Wolverine solo Movie!!!

I dream of Witchblade, Vampirella and Magdalena altogether in one movie!!!

"Hot Chicks" Part II 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

thumbsup2.gif

Sensational She-Hulk #1. Paint Catherine Zeta-Jones green and just film her standing around in a ripped up dress.

I read about Jack Hughman was offered multi-million dollars to sign for X-Men 3 Movie and a Wolverine solo Movie!!!

I dream of Witchblade, Vampirella and Magdalena altogether in one movie!!!

"Hot Chicks" Part II 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

thumbsup2.gif

Sensational She-Hulk #1. Paint Catherine Zeta-Jones green and just film her standing around in a ripped up dress.

"Dress? we don't need no stinkin' dress..."

Watchmen

This one might actually happen. Apparently, David Hayter(who wrote both of the X-Men movies) has written an adaptation of Watchmen that has really caught the spirit of the book.

Of course, Samm Hamm and Terry Gilliam couldn't get this movie off the ground, so who knows...

Being that the Watchmen is such a great piece of work, I wonder what the chances would be of a major motion picture studio investing in a 6-part series, (two issues per movie...) sort of like the Lord of the Rings? No way the Watchmen's popularity can equate the legions of Tolkien fans, but I'd hate to see a two-hour basterdization of one of the finest works in literature...

Each and every story arc in Sandman Mystery Theatre. Man, I loved that book and thought each story felt like I was watching a flick. Just seemed tailor made to be on film.

You are Dead-On-The-Money, Brother! Preach On! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I also vote for "Greenberg, The Vampire", by J.M. Dematiess (or however you spell it...) This is the kind of movie that could actually get made. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

-J

Being that the Watchmen is such a great piece of work, I wonder what the chances would be of a major motion picture studio investing in a 6-part series, (two issues per movie...) sort of like the Lord of the Rings? No way the Watchmen's popularity can equate the legions of Tolkien fans, but I'd hate to see a two-hour basterdization of one of the finest works in literature...

Others have made similar suggestions, like a 10-part HBO series, but the plan is for a single feature film. Hayter has also been quoted as saying that in light of the post 9/11 atmosphere, he's moved away from Watchmen's doomsday ending.

My recollection is that Terry Gilliam purchased the option to ever make a Watchment film, but has shied from doing so because of its complexity. He didn't think people would be loyal to a multi-movie approach, and a single movie wouldn't work.

Personally, I think "Jimmy Corrigan" could be a nice movie, especially if it was made by the guy who did "Being John Malkovich" and "Adaptation." Or maybe whoever did "Magnolia." Even Aimee Mann music would suit it well.

Moon Knight would be a nice cheesy action movie, in the vein of "Blade."

Moon Knight would be a nice cheesy action movie, in the vein of "Blade."

Artisan Entertainment owns the rights to Moon Knight. I pitched a Moon Knight TV series to them a couple of years ago. They responded well to my ideas, but weren't as excited about Moon Knight as they were with some of their other Marvel properties, like Iron Fist and Man-Thing.

Ah well...

I would pick THE GOLDEN AGE by James Robinson (I think) and Paul Smith, Steve Englehart and Marshall Rogers run on Detective Comics, ie: #471-476.

KINGDOM COME and CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS (that would be an ultimate film!) and any story arc from STARMAN by James Robinson and Tony Harris.

John

My recollection is that Terry Gilliam purchased the option to ever make a Watchment film, but has shied from doing so because of its complexity. He didn't think people would be loyal to a multi-movie approach, and a single movie wouldn't work.

I think that, at one point, Gilliam described a potential Watchmen movie as 'a million dollars a page'. You're right though on him now being wary of the subject matter:

http://www.theonionavclub.com/avclub3738/avfeature_3738.html

http://www.theonionavclub.com/avclub3904/avfeature_3904.html

OT: For those who don't read 'The Onion', you absolutely MUST.

I would have gone initially for Watchmen. However, given the inherent dangers in filming it, my choices would be Preacher, the first Sin City story (though a lot of them are pretty cinematic), and Miracleman. In the latter case, I would think a storyline containing his re-discovery of his identity, plus the Olympus storyline, would make a fine adult superhero movie.