• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1950's World's Finest 50-78 on display....

87 posts in this topic

OK, it's fun making fun of some of these books, but this is another tiltle that they should have kept going. When I first got back into collecting in '97, i was going to try for a run these, but realised I just didn't have the resources to do a complete run, so I stuck with MLJ and came close but not close enough. WF ended in 1986 and Pep Comic in 87. They should have kept them both going. When I was a kid, WF was one of my favorite reading book. We're talking late 50's early 60's.

wf68set.jpg

hey, Silver... This one aint silly enough to be deemed... "silly"??? clowning around about being ascared of a lil' ol skunk?

Oh they are all silly I suppose, but don't you guys see that WF is "different" from the other Bat/Supes titles of the time? I think those of us that like them think they are special for a variety of reasons. Win Mortimer cover, the silly situations where SUperman could easily save the day are kind of a *wink/nod* kinda thing, like Superman knows he could. The covers have a "charm" to them that was so different from other superhero comic covers of the time. When WF 71 came out, it was basically over. But froa time, these were different.

The stories are as good as other comics of the day. Solo Superman/Batman and a variety of others.

Oh I agree wholeheatedly they have a lot of Ozzie and Harriet simple 50s Americana charm..... but they ARE silly especially compared to nearly every other cover posted to date here....

You haven't seen to many GA DC covers then I take it?

116_4_0511.jpg

I will spare you from a spam fest of covers from GCD if you want to take my word for it. :shy:

definitely a fun little run, with some quirky fun little stories (some are not bad at all).... the SM and BM were in seperate stories upto 71, then they "teamed" up...again, not bad, but my boy and I enjoyed the trek

wf55set.jpg

Thanks for posting your run.

Funny how many of them include a little minor cheesecake. I suppose when you consider what they were competing with, they needed something to catch the buyer's eye. These would have been on the stands with the end of the Fiction House Jungle, Jumbo and Planet Comics runs, EC at their peak, etc.

I wonder what the cheerleader's B stood for. Batman? Was the editor allowing a little "B-girl" joke to slip through?

Jack

wonder why they are so tought to find?

A lot of folks speculate that the 15 cent cover price depressed sales during the early fifties.

Makes sense. I think a lot of 50's books are rarer than most.

15 cent cover price plus the decline of superheros in the 1948 to 1956 years. When these books came out, crime, romance, and westerns ruled the roost. Not to mention a certain duck by a certain guy named Carl.

Again, my .02 worth.

Plus the fact that DC crammed 68 pages into cheaper cover stock with just two small staples holding everything together. For that reason alone an inordinate number of copies of these, and Comic Cavalcade from the same time period, are now coverless or have loose covers.

So true. Tec27 - what's the highest graded copy you picked up?

Thanks for posting the run. There is a great deal of charm in these stories and you don't see many of these issues all that often.

I'll skip 79 since it is not here, and end with 80

wf80set.jpg

People commented on the canoe going over the waterfall, but this one is another classic demonstration of why people accuse Batman of having a "stupid-ray" device that affected Superman whenever they were near one another.

Hey, Supes -- you can fly, man!

Jack

I thought about that too. but, thats really true for nearly all these cover situations... if Superman chose to, they wouldnt BE situations.. exscept the shoe shine problem.

What's weird about the shoe shine one is the "Shine 'em or I'll super-kick your butt" look on Superman's face, as Batman and Robin look on laughing. It looks like a shakedown!

Jack

wf70set.jpg

A lot of folks speculate that the 15 cent cover price depressed sales during the early fifties.

15 cent cover price plus the decline of superheros in the 1948 to 1956 years. When these books came out, crime, romance, and westerns ruled the roost. Not to mention a certain duck by a certain guy named Carl.

Again, my .02 worth.

Plus the fact that DC crammed 68 pages into cheaper cover stock with just two small staples holding everything together. For that reason alone an inordinate number of copies of these, and Comic Cavalcade from the same time period, are now coverless or have loose covers.

Thanks for posting the run. There is a great deal of charm in these stories and you don't see many of these issues all that often.

VF is the highest (only 1) and fn/vf is the next (only one)...a couple of Fn+, and the rest...average grade of my run is 4.0 to 5.0 (my "sweet" spot), with a gd+ here and there (because it was the only copy I have been able to find!)

Again, my .02 worth.

VF is the highest (only 1) and fn/vf is the next (only one)...a couple of Fn+, and the rest...average grade of my run is 4.0 to 5.0 (my "sweet" spot), with a gd+ here and there (because it was the only copy I have been able to find!)

That's what I would have figured. Thanks.

Again, my .02 worth.

That's what I would have figured. Thanks.

(thumbs u

wf56set.jpg

I honestly don't get this one. Is this some kind of Indian wrestling or something and superman could clearly win but is faking it? Tell me I'm not the only one confused.