• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Fave comic ever - FF # 4

FF # 4  

102 members have voted

1. 1. FF # 4

20 posts in this topic

As close to being in the Sid's Luncheonette Collection as one can get, without being there.

For some reason this book eluded me for many months back in 1962. I finally tracked down a copy at a Used Bookstore on Market St in Newark, NJ late that summer. even though it was used i had to pay full cover price of 12 cents for it.

This is possibly my single favorite comic of all time along with Flash # 123.

The panel where a young and brash Johnnie Storm ignites his finger and burns away the Bowery Bums beard to reveal the Sub-Mariner underneath was about as good as it gets for this then 14 year old comic fan.

i bought another very similar copy about 5 years ago and it'll be up here soon, but for now, what do you think??? and, again, what is that thing over the Thing's left shoulder??

PostJavits-FFs.jpg

PostJavits-FFs001.jpg

I went with 4.0, but maybe I'm being too harsh about the wear on Reed's arm and the tape pull (?) on the Thing's head.

I believe the blob by his head is a printing defect. I've seen it on many copies, but someone more knowledgeable than I may know better.

Could be a grasshopper though , hopping of of the thing ? (shrug).BH

Thing above the thing ?...It's a bird ,........It's a plane ! ,..............not Superman .....It's a bird or a plane ....looks like a hawk though ...Bh

and, again, what is that thing over the Thing's left shoulder??

Think about it.

The scene is the sea/ocean shore.

It's suppose to be a sea-gull even though it looks more like a plane.

:P

That's really weird place to stick a bird, compositionally and contextually. It just doesn't look like a bird, looks like a printing defect. (not saying it wasn't intended to be a bird, just doesn't come across well at all)

It's a seagull who just pooped on the Thing's head! See the white spot? And he's holding his hands out in frustration, because it's bad enough he's now a scaly orange monster but he had to get pooped on, too!

Seriously , take a hit of acid , and I swear that's a grasshopper !....................................................................................... mehmeh BH

5.0... and thats the first app. of the vulture behind Ben Grimm.

5.0... and thats the first app. of the vulture behind Ben Grimm.

lol I always assumed it was a seagull, but this is one take i've never heard before... :D

I graded it a 4.5 so I'm glad to see that the board is again in the same ballpark. i'm going to post my other copy as well as i'm particularly interested in seeing how they fare against one another. thanks to all for looking, many thanks to those who take the time to vote and especially those who add a comment or two.

If i can grade at all it's because of the hundreds of posts i've reviewed and responded to on this forum, and then compared to others opinions............. (thumbs u

The one thing that always struck me as odd about this cover was Flameheads flight path. If he was soo worried about stopping subby and saving Sue you think he would have flown a tad bit staighter path to get her. Then again it would not have looked nearly as cool!

I said 4,5 possibly 5.0. A very solid book that presents better then most VG+ books, but flaws are flaws are flaws