• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Honest-to-Goodness Bronze Age Comics at Toys R Us!

49 posts in this topic

OK, at the risk of starting yet another Iron Man thread :eek: . . .

This is really more about some pretty decent BA books at Toys R Us of all places :o Went there today, to pick up a DS for my daughter's birthday, and this display greeted me right inside the entrance:

ToysRUs-Comics.jpg

These two-packs were being given away free, with the purchase of 2 IM figures that were priced at $9.99 each. Now, to be honest, there weren't any comics here that I wanted that badly. And, each of these was paired with a drekky modern (Secret Defenders #7, for instance lol ) But, most seemed to be solid VF or better copies, and I was truly tempted. Especially the Spidey promo comic from the Aurora model --- I've always been a sucker for these older promo comics. I guess I was pretty impressed to see these in a retail store at all, even if they were just being "given away". The staffers behind me at the returns counter must've thought I was a little odd, inspecting all of these, arranging/photographing them, etc.

Thought I'd post now, in case any of you feel like rushing out to see what's on the shelves near you. Who knows, maybe someone will find a nice gem!

The comic sales appears to be nationwide as it's down here in Tennesse too.

A friend of mine who is a toy collector had told be about them last thursday.

He picked up sets that had Iron Man #74 and #99 in them, both in VFish condition.

The 2nd comics were dreky moderns as previously stated.

Always cool to see comics outside of the LCS. (thumbs u

This intrigued me so much, I visited a TRU store today and found a small stack of 2 packs @$5.98 ea. Most of the vintage books were BA - some decent titles but not worth the price. The last pack I turned over had a Doctor Strange #174 in VFish condition. Still not sure if it is worth the $5.98 plus tax but I couldn't resist buying a 12cent comic like that.

I wonder what the oldest book people have found - the Dr. Strange is from 1968.

Well, I'm assuming the promotion does not extend into Canada. I called the Toys R Us closest to me (in Toronto) and the girl laughed at me on the phone. "Hahaha No we don't sell comic books."

I'm not impressed. Rude.