• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Honest-to-Goodness Bronze Age Comics at Toys R Us!

49 posts in this topic

Well, I'm assuming the promotion does not extend into Canada. I called the Toys R Us closest to me (in Toronto) and the girl laughed at me on the phone. "Hahaha No we don't sell comic books."

I'm not impressed. Rude.

Rob - you might still want to check it out. I found these where they have the non-sports cards but when I asked I was told the same thing that they don't sell comic books.

That doesn't excuse the rudeness of course.

yeah, but I bet that you won't catch kids hardly around these things

(only comic geek wannabees)

It's sad to tell, but I dropped by my caregiver of my 1 year old yesterday

and had a big Archie Digest that I had bought for her 5 year old

(I try to give comics to kids when I get the chance because it helps them read

and it just me a chance to do for others that was never done for me - when I was

a kid no one gave me anything)

Anyway, the 5 year old kid took the book and asked me in a disgruntled voice

"Mr. Wally, why do you give me these comic book things?" his mother apologized

for his rude tone and made him say thank you as I was about to take it back from him.

Needless to say, the kid won't be getting to give anymore - and it makes me sad that the rest of

the kids out there might feel this way - like reading is a burden, and comics suck.

:P

and it just me a chance to do for others that was never done for me - when I was

for his rude tone and made him say thank you as I was about to take it back from him.

Needless to say, the kid won't be getting to give anymore - and it makes me sad that the rest of

the kids out there might feel this way - like reading is a burden, and comics suck.

:P

I'm pretty sure they do. Nothing to be sad about. There's still a small niche market for comics today, mostly reserved for teens and college kids, not to mention a few diehard older collectors and Manga lovers. At least they still make them which is more than we will be able to say in 20 years.

In my house we frequently have both boys and girls 10 and under visitng the kids and they see comics as something weird and can't understand why anyone would read them. But they'll read Dr. Seuss or other kids books all day long.

Well, I'm assuming the promotion does not extend into Canada. I called the Toys R Us closest to me (in Toronto) and the girl laughed at me on the phone. "Hahaha No we don't sell comic books."

I'm not impressed. Rude.

Was it a nervous laugh? There's a .0134% chance that the girl who answered is an avid comic collector and was just trying to keep all the funnybooks for herself... darn those pesky teenage female comic book collectors - all four of 'em!

Needless to say, the kid won't be getting to give anymore

Well, I think it's partly a function of the content vs. the age... five is awfully young for Archie... he prolly saw a couple of gurls on the cover and figured it was kooty-infested. Try giving him a classic Barks duck saga reprint, or even a Casper or Richie Rich book, and I'm pretty confident you'll get a more positive reaction. Further, maybe the kid can't quite read yet, and the comics are more frustrating than fascinating? hm

I went down to the local Toys-R-Us today and they had a few left. They were displayed near the entrance with the Iron Man movie toys. You get one semi-cool "vintage" comic book and one piece of drek. Most of the Bronze comics were in VF condition or so. Here is the one I purchased. It is in VG/F condition. The price says $9.99 but the register price is $5.98. Not a screaming good deal, but it was definitely a walk down memory lane being able to buy a bagged 12 cent comic from a toy store. :cloud9:

Toys-comic.jpg

TRUs-sticker.jpg

The price sticker says "Metropolis Coll" whatever that means. hm

I went down to the local Toys-R-Us today and they had a few left. They were displayed near the entrance with the Iron Man movie toys. You get one semi-cool "vintage" comic book and one piece of drek. Most of the Bronze comics were in VF condition or so. Here is the one I purchased. It is in VG/F condition. The price says $9.99 but the register price is $5.98. Not a screaming good deal, but it was definitely a walk down memory lane being able to buy a bagged 12 cent comic from a toy store. :cloud9:

Toys-comic.jpg

TRUs-sticker.jpg

Hey Flee...which store did you go to? I work downtown, not far from the East Colonial Drive location, so I might go check it out tomorrow...

dang and I was looking at this picture for minutes

waiting for something funny.

:shy:

It's one of those 3-D Magic Eye images. You have to stare at it for a few minutes, let your eyes relax and a beautiful vision will appear or something. :whistle: It works better with beer. :gossip:

Hey Flee...which store did you go to? I work downtown, not far from the East Colonial Drive location, so I might go check it out tomorrow...

I am out on the coast, so I went to the one in Merritt Island. If I am in Orlando this weekend, I may stop by there as well just to see what they have. (thumbs u

Toys-comic.jpg

TRUs-sticker.jpg

hm I wonder how long it'll be before any turn up on ebay.

Looks like a smart move by Metropolis if it is them! (thumbs u

I used to buy similar packs up here as a kid in rural Alberta. They would have 2 or 3 SA/BA books per pack for $1.25. Some were beat on, but I did pull enough gems out of the packs to make it worthwhile!