• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TOS 39 - When to buy?

24 posts in this topic

I've put together a small run of Tales of Suspense and want to know when the right time would be to pick up a VG/F copy of TOS 39. The movie was great but am hoping the hype will be over soon.

I wouldn`t count on it. When a comic book movie underperforms or just meets expectations, then the comics that ran up in expectation of the movie tend to drop.

When a comic book movie way outperforms expectations, such as the first Batman movie, first Spiderman movie, and now the Iron Man movie, there actually is a surge and sustained strength in comic prices after the movie comes out as everyone tries to jump on the train. If Iron Man doesn`t suffer a big drop-off in box office over the second weekend, thus showing that the movie`s got legs, then my prediction will be that there will be legs in Iron Man comic prices too.

Well, there WILL be a slump at some point. Look at even Spider-Man prices for evidence of that. There are people who bought ASM 14 at the top that still (?) can't make their money back and there was that guy who absolutely lost his shirt selling about a year after the movie hit at heritage.

hm Only problem Brian is there's already a sequel lined up for the not-so-distant future. And if it does do well this weekend (and there's no reason to indicate it won't), I'm probably in the same camp as tth2--this one's got legs and will probably keep moving forward.

Now, if I was a betting/investing man, I'd probably try to snag up copies of Avengers 1 & 4 considering they will be getting movies in the next two to three years. That's just me though.

Again, I point to Spider-Man (and Batman before him.) the initial hype is strongest and there WILL be a letdown in Iron Man prices. Sequel or no. Both Batman (1989) and Spider-Man had (multiple) sequels and nothing matched the initial hype in terms of price generating fervor.

The difference here is that Marvel keys in general have been going up and TOS 39 has just ridden that wave. Now for the Iron Man #1 I completely agree as it will be tanking over the next few months, but I don't think the TOS #39 is going to be taking a nosedive although there will be some leveling off of prices.

Again, I point to Spider-Man (and Batman before him.) the initial hype is strongest and there WILL be a letdown in Iron Man prices. Sequel or no. Both Batman (1989) and Spider-Man had (multiple) sequels and nothing matched the initial hype in terms of price generating fervor.

I'm not saying it will continue to increase at the same rate it is currently enjoying right now, but I also don't think we'll see it drop either. Slowing down is one thing (and I'll buy into that), but I don't think we'll see it come down too much. But I'm still a general newb, so my base of first-hand knowledge is certainly limited. :shrug:

There was a guy who bought a full run of ASM during the run up to the movie. When he sold a year later he took an absolute bath. He lost tens of thousands of dollars including drops of around 30% on individual books. If that can happen to Spider-Man, it can happen to character. There are thread here where we went through the gory details.

Now, if I was a betting/investing man, I'd probably try to snag up copies of Avengers 1 & 4 considering they will be getting movies in the next two to three years. That's just me though.

Avengers 1 is a good suggestion. I think Showcase 22 and BB 28 might be good investments also. That said, I'm not a flipper...

I hope that at least the price will stabilize for a TOS39, so I can pick-up a nice VG to VG/F without breaking the bank.

Avengers 1 is a good suggestion. I think Showcase 22 and BB 28 might be good investments also. That said, I'm not a flipper...

I hope that at least the price will stabilize for a TOS39, so I can pick-up a nice VG to VG/F without breaking the bank.

Avengers 1 and 4 have been taking spikes up in value this past year, pre-movie hype may lead to a jump. Aside from that, the Avengers were in the past a cheaper SA title to collect in comparison to the other team books FF, and X-Men. So alot of people have been eating those books up. They are my #1 contendors for taking the next leap in price,

TOS 39 I have been toying with the idea of this book for this fall or next spring. I am selling 90% of my collection and buying a few big keys Batman 1, AF 15, and GL1 are top wants. But the TOS 39, B&B 28, JLA 1 are looking REALLY good. I already have a good 50 keys that would have been on the list, so I am on my way.

I think all of the books I listed are extremely "sound" investments and could net a great return over a 10 yr wait. I will hold them about 25, I am still young-ish. The TOS I would watch the next 3 months and see what it is doing, if price is dropping wait it out. If it is staying solid, expect next years OSPG to reflect and get it LONG before the second movie comes out.

IM #1 is my pick for bomb of the year. Its hot now, it wont stay that way IMO.

There was a guy who bought a full run of ASM during the run up to the movie. When he sold a year later he took an absolute bath. He lost tens of thousands of dollars including drops of around 30% on individual books. If that can happen to Spider-Man, it can happen to character. There are thread here where we went through the gory details.

If you're buying comics for $, then buy MVL instead. ;) My brother had the right idea because of the Iron Man movie, the thing is he bought MRVL and ended up owning a semi conductor company doh!

He did sold it earning 10% up to buy MVL which is now going down. meh

The difference between TOS 39 and Spider-man 300 is that the TOS is more like AF15. The story of the origin came directly from the book, and it's a first appearance of the main character, not just the 1st appearance of a villain. TOS 39 has an added benefit that the cover image reflects a memorable scene from the origin movie. TOS 39 has more going for it in some ways than X-Men 1, which does not feature all the most loved characters. Iron man is unlikely to be as popular going forward as Spidey but is a real contender for second (so far as the movies are concerned).

So I would guess TOS 39 will increase over time. Which is not to say there won't be bargains when people are not buying on speculation (and there are lots of copies out there).

I wouldn`t bank on Showcase 22 being a great key as John Stewart is now considered by mainstream as the Green Lantern maybe this book is a good investment

GL087.jpg

Well Im happy. I sold my Iron Man 1 VG for $270 :)

Wow, I can remember when $300 was the going market rate for CGC 9.4 copies when slabbed copies first started coming on eBay. And I thought that was a crazy high price at the time!

I think this is a GREAT time to buy high grde copies ( VF or better )

why?.....because it ALWAYS a great time to buy high grade Marvel Keys!

Virtually no matter what it costs you to get into a copy, you don't have to worry when it's time to get out of the copy. A great, high demand book is a great, high demand book. There is no reason that TOS 39 whould lose its appeal ( maybe its present hotness, but not appeal ).

I love the SA Marvel Key 1st appearances that were launched in an established title VS. a self-named title, such as:

AF15

JIM83

TOS39

just something special about a try-out issue for a new character that makes it big, VS. the bold move of them getting a self-named title from day 1 - like Hulk #1 (nothing against that great book )

Josh from C-LINK had a great philosophy in this years OPG -- Market Report section. He said: " sell high, and buy even higher "

If you think about it......he is right.

Steve