• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,454 posts in this topic

I feel the same way. They will have to add a lot more than a letter column to make this stick. It really does seem like the creators are going to squeeze people for a few bucks and then this will go away.

Seriously?? To me, it seems like what they are trying to do is provide real comic books to people who otherwise would not be buying comic books. If it fails, it fails. But I think we all know this is a dying medium, and i don't question that everyone that is here genuinely loves comics. How could an initiative to try and get some new blood buying actual comics (not TPBs not compendiums, not hardcovers but actual comics) ever be a bad thing?

while the weekly series is cool idea unless they advertise it on tv when the show is airing I don't think they will get the targets they want for it ... specially being in comic shops only ... Now if they could get these out to 7-11s near the tills or grocery stores that would be a great thing. I don't think half the people who don't already read comics & watch the show though even know what a comic shop is or where to find out

I disagree. I think they know that a lot of their sales will come from people who collect already.

I vehemently disagree - if these were targeted towards collectors, they'd include new content. Similar to the WD omnibi and the DC absolute editions.

These are 100% geared towards the new readers that Image hopes will crawl out of the woodwork after the TV show airs.

I don't know if I would say it is a bad thing. I just say it reeks of greed.

So you're expecting Image to be a non-profit company? They're seeing a potential new target market and trying to cater to them - that's not greed, that's smart business sense. And, hell, anything that can get people to buy actual comic books instead of trades is a great thing for the industry as a whole.

That is why they had Image firsts. I think it could be off-putting to a potential reader if they go into a store and ask the guy behind the counter about the series and the guy says, "Well, you can buy 1-10 or you can buy 1-10 weekly, or you can buy this tpb or you can buy this hardcover or you can buy this omnibus or you can buy this compendium..."

No, Image Firsts was the 1st issue - that's it.

The omnibi are limited editions and are out of print - the compendium is out of print as well - and the vast majority of local comic book stores will not have the original WD #1-10 in stock.

At most stores your purchasing choices will consist of the trade, the hardcover (and which one you choose is a personal preference - I like hardcovers myself, but they're pricey compared to TPB's), and now these reprints. I still don't see why that would ever be a bad thing.

Really? I think Essential Sandman was cancelled before the ending and I know for a fact that it was originally expected to reprint the entire series. It might have started off well but it didn't last. Not sure about Cerebus.

When the Sandman Essentials were published, early Sandman back issues were well out of reach for the average collector - so they served their function admirably. They were never meant to be collectable - they were a means for DC to have Sandman on the comic book rack (and not hidden away with the rest of the TPB's) even though the series was officially over.

So you're expecting Image to be a non-profit company? They're seeing a potential new target market and trying to cater to them - that's not greed, that's smart business sense. And, hell, anything that can get people to buy actual comic books instead of trades is a great thing for the industry as a whole.

I don't think it is smart business sense. I think Image will over-saturate the market and could create a backlash. I see this as being very similar to the variant craze.

No, Image Firsts was the 1st issue - that's it.

The omnibi are limited editions and are out of print - the compendium is out of print as well - and the vast majority of local comic book stores will not have the original WD #1-10 in stock.

At most stores your purchasing choices will consist of the trade, the hardcover (and which one you choose is a personal preference - I like hardcovers myself, but they're pricey compared to TPB's), and now these reprints. I still don't see why that would ever be a bad thing.

It is my opinion that all they needed was Image Firsts in order to get the reader interested.

When the Sandman Essentials were published, early Sandman back issues were well out of reach for the average collector - so they served their function admirably. They were never meant to be collectable - they were a means for DC to have Sandman on the comic book rack (and not hidden away with the rest of the TPB's) even though the series was officially over.

Yes, and they couldn't follow through with their promise to reprint the entire series. So, in my opinion, that's a failure. Although I am sure they made some decent money on the first several issues.

while the weekly series is cool idea unless they advertise it on tv when the show is airing I don't think they will get the targets they want for it ... specially being in comic shops only ... Now if they could get these out to 7-11s near the tills or grocery stores that would be a great thing. I don't think half the people who don't already read comics & watch the show though even know what a comic shop is or where to find out

I pretty much agree. I have friends who don't read comics but I got them to read TWD in tpb form. They won't go to a comic store every week or even every month.

I read volume 11 TPB a few days ago and when I saw this OA, I remembered that I have no clue what is going on in panel 1 (this is with the cannibals). Can anyone enlighten me?

Walking%20Dead%20Iss%2064%20Pg%2001.jpg

Dale is waking up and the shadowy figures are talking to him. It looks weird without the grays added in.

Ah, now I see it. That is a flame on the bottom left corner :) Thanks.

I'm sure that will make the letter pages if anything gem :) Would make a nice adition to your collection if it did eh :D

If that one makes it to the letter page, guarantee you I'll get it slabbed and SS.

If I could play guitar worth a I'd make a youtube vid of it.

I've been thinking of writing in & doing that lol ... thinking of writing in for #100 see if my letter gets printed in it ... that would be kind of cool ...

I've got a SDCC #75 SS (with three sigs) and plan to have my signature added as I've got a letter published in that one. :-)

CGC SS will recognize the signature for people who have a letter published??? I had no idea.

Is it listed on the label then? In the registry?? How cool.

I was told that I could definitely have my signature added because of the published letter. Will it make it more valuable? lol yeah right! Will it be cooler for me? Of course!

Thanks so much for letting me know. I am listed in issue #9 of Angel: After the Fall for the cover suggestion of the TST variant. Having it signature series would be very cool.

Congrats. to you, btw and thanks again.

Just finished watching the "bootleg" of the first episode of Walking Dead. WOW! I went outside and expected to see roamers! Didn't help that I watched it in the dark for full effect. It was very good in capturing the feel of the comics. Gory (which is why I wanted to watch it ahead of time so I can tell the wife when not to look). Very good! Can't wait for the second episode!

Those are some of the ugliest prints I've EVER seen......seriously.

As ugly as the Ultimate Comics #75 comics you bought? :baiting:

:roflmao:

I only bought one :sumo:

The almost-completely-blank back cover will be sketched by Adlard the next time I see him :headbang:

So........................ :P

Those are some of the ugliest prints I've EVER seen......seriously.

As ugly as the Ultimate Comics #75 comics you bought? :baiting:

:roflmao:

I only bought one :sumo:

The almost-completely-blank back cover will be sketched by Adlard the next time I see him :headbang:

So........................ :P

Make sure he uses quick drying ink. They take up to 24 hours to dry Steve. Unless it is a Sharpie, ink doesnt seen to take very easy. I talked with Ultimate about it and it appears that all Image books in the future will have this type of cover stock...