• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,464 posts in this topic

sounds like a challenge to me ! Go find buy submit a #85 to cgc & get at least a 9.8

lol

I know I wouldn't be able to do so with what my shops are like around here :eek: even when it first came out I wouldn't be able to do that

Edited by synch

Because they sell? (shrug)
I am honestly amazed that they sell. I believe you when you say they do but buying TWD 85 for such a premium is :screwy:. It is still a very new book and should be relatively easy to find in 9.8. I dunno. It just seems like label chasing has gone on steroids.

You make quite a few assumptions in your statement. The ease with which one can acquire a 9.8 is indeed relative. Given the various sources to acquire a 9.8 to buy a slabbed copy is a guarantee of sorts and there is hardly a premium. In the event someone was only collecting WD how much do you think it would cost them to submit it themselves? Even if they were able to get a 9.8 by submitting only one copy the cost would easily exceed the cost of buying a slabbed copy.

Not even counting the time and cost of buying the raw copy.

So......you were saying? (shrug)

Now if you want to talk label chasing we could look at how much I pay for 9.9/10.0's. ;)

sounds like a challenge to me ! Go find buy submit a #85 to cgc & get at least a 9.8

lol

I know I wouldn't be able to do so with what my shops are like around here :eek: even when it first came out I wouldn't be able to do that

Label chaser. :baiting:

lol

Because they sell? (shrug)
I am honestly amazed that they sell. I believe you when you say they do but buying TWD 85 for such a premium is :screwy:. It is still a very new book and should be relatively easy to find in 9.8. I dunno. It just seems like label chasing has gone on steroids.

You make quite a few assumptions in your statement. The ease with which one can acquire a 9.8 of sorts and there is hardly a premium.

I just assumed you were making a profit. Nothing else. What assumptions did I make?

So......you were saying? (shrug)

I was saying that I am shocked people are paying so much for a $3 book that is probably still in comic shops. If it was so hard to get 9.8's how do you get 10 or more every month?

I'm not picking on you. You make money by providing people a service. Nothing wrong with that. I'm just shocked at how many people feel the need to get such a recent and otherwise worthless book slabbed and graded. But what do I know? I was trying to complete a Preacher run. lol. I just can't help but think there will a ton of 9.8s for generations to come now that we preserve comics so well.

I just assumed you were making a profit. Nothing else. What assumptions did I make?

You assume that it is relatively easy to find for everyone. I guess we have different views on what a premium is since it is actually cheaper to buy a slabbed 9.8 then it is for the majority to slab it themselves. My profit does not equal paying a premium since the buyer is saving money.

I was saying that I am shocked people are paying so much for a $3 book that is probably still in comic shops. If it was so hard to get 9.8's how do you get 10 or more every month?

I'm not picking on you. You make money by providing people a service. Nothing wrong with that. I'm just shocked at how many people feel the need to get such a recent and otherwise worthless book slabbed and graded. But what do I know? I was trying to complete a Preacher run. lol. I just can't help but think there will a ton of 9.8s for generations to come now that we preserve comics so well.

I don't feel picked on but pick away if you'd like. ;)

I think you hit the nail on the head with how you're shocked. What is worthless to you is not worthless to everyone. There was a time you valued a complete Preacher 9.8 run. Now you don't. Does that make it worthless. Most people in these forums collect one title or another. Some are viewed as mainstream while others are not. Perhaps you would be happier in the GA or SA section? Maybe you no longer enjoy getting books graded? It has happened to a few boardies lately. It's almost like the nonsmokers hanging out in the smoking section.

Branget you hit on this, it is easier for someone like me to just buy a comic with a 9.8 for say 30-40 than buying the comic, waiting for a con (I don't like mailing in comics), driving there, paying for the ticket, then getting it submitted. Especially if said comic comes back 9.6, then it would all be a waste of time. I don't generally submit multiple copies of comics either. I'd just be left with a 9.6 to sell on ebay and use the money for a 9.8.

Other people may do it differently, this is just me.

Quite a few people don't have an LCS and have to buy online. Factor in postage, postage to CGC, grading costs and return postage and the 30-40 you mentioned looks like quite the deal. There are many scenarios. Thanks for sharing. :)

Branget you hit on this, it is easier for someone like me to just buy a comic with a 9.8 for say 30-40 than buying the comic, waiting for a con (I don't like mailing in comics), driving there, paying for the ticket, then getting it submitted. Especially if said comic comes back 9.6, then it would all be a waste of time. I don't generally submit multiple copies of comics either. I'd just be left with a 9.6 to sell on ebay and use the money for a 9.8.

Other people may do it differently, this is just me.

+1 ^^

My time is generally better spent reading comics and doing pretty much anything else other than grading comics especially between 9.4- 9.8+ then worrying that I blew something when submitting to CGC and will be "stuck" with a 9.6 modern.

I'm glad people like Branget and Beachbum provide that service.

You seem to have more time for other threads now. :cloud9:

Now as an "award winning CGC set collector ( meh ), I decided to act more responsibly throughout the other titles on these fair boards, as I slowly construct my next great Registry Set opus. When, I'm not posting semi-nude pictures of myself or giving homeowner repair advice on Facebook, I'll try to be here, trying to find my love for the hobby again. (thumbs u

You seem to have more time for other threads now. :cloud9:

Now as an "award winning CGC set collector ( meh ), I decided to act more responsibly throughout the other titles on these fair boards, as I slowly construct my next great Registry Set opus. When, I'm not posting semi-nude pictures of myself or giving homeowner repair advice on Facebook, I'll try to be here, trying to find my love for the hobby again. (thumbs u

And I can only hope you find it. Your passion is sorely missed. :(

Quite a few people don't have an LCS and have to buy online. Factor in postage, postage to CGC, grading costs and return postage and the 30-40 you mentioned looks like quite the deal. There are many scenarios. Thanks for sharing. :)

Right on Jeff (thumbs u While I don't buy in quantities to warrant myself a dealer, I do purchase anything I find at my LCS that is 9.8 material. This is easier said than done, as the shop owners are usually all thumbs, plus, if I don't get in close to release, I have to deal with readers bending up the pages and covers. My goal, first and foremost, is a complete 9.8 set. In the end, It's usually cheaper for me to buy older copies already graded.

For every supposed 9.8 quality back issue I've bought online, 8/10 were always overgraded :mad: Then there are people who can't pack :mad::mad: It's very easy for the costs of collecting 9.8 books, especially if you find and grade your own, to become quite expensive.

You assume that it is relatively easy to find for everyone.

Yes, I would say it is relatively easy.

I think you hit the nail on the head with how you're shocked. What is worthless to you is not worthless to everyone. There was a time you valued a complete Preacher 9.8 run. Now you don't. Does that make it worthless. Most people in these forums collect one title or another. Some are viewed as mainstream while others are not. Perhaps you would be happier in the GA or SA section? Maybe you no longer enjoy getting books graded? It has happened to a few boardies lately. It's almost like the nonsmokers hanging out in the smoking section.

I read moderns and some coppers. I don't read any GA or SA. I just don't slab them. Why is that so foreign to you? lol I found that collecting a load of slabs from cool series was just too much of a pain. It took up too much space and now that I am planning a family and realize how precious space can be! After selling my Preacher and Y and Sandman slabs, I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders. Maybe that's why I am shocked.

Also, I think Preacher was harder to find in 9.8. People used to bag and board comics when Preacher was first released but now there is even more care given to keeping comics as minty as possible. If TWD has a print run of 40k, I would think that 8k of them would be 9.8 candidates. I guess I just don't see a reason to collect the entire run. And I don't see why people would want to collect issue 85 in 9.8 unless they were trying to get the set.

Who knows, I could be wrong. Maybe these comics will be worth something someday but I am just not seeing it now. That's another reason why I am shocked.

You should really read your answer a couple of times and maybe some of the other replies. You might lol

Apparently getting a 9.8 is relatively easy for YOU. And your assumption is that's it's easy for everyone else. You sell your slabs and suddenly you are completely disconnected from why someone else would want to collect?

This is exactly like the nonsmokers in the smoking area. You are on a CGC message board talking about how you used to collect but now that you don't you can't understand why anyone does. :screwy:

Stay at home father of 3 who completely understands space. ;) Congrats!!

I have not found Preacher or YTLM any harder to find in 9.8 then I do WD. I expect to have both sets completed before the registry awards.

Now sell me your Preachers!! lol

You should really read your answer a couple of times and maybe some of the other replies. You might lol

You should. It will obviously take you a few reads to understand a little better.

I was shocked to find out that you sell 10 slabs (and that was a slow month!). You were a little vague when you answered my question but you made it seem like you sell them. At that point I made the assumption that there are more than 10 people that collect this series in slabs. That shocked me. Why did it shock me? Because I am surprised that cgc carries that much weight. Why else am I surprised? Because I think it is a bad investment. Why else am I surprised? Because 9.8's of TWD aren't that rare. However, what I do not want to do is tell people what to do with their money. If crnbrd or stumptown or someone wants to buy the series like that, it is up to them.

Apparently getting a 9.8 is relatively easy for YOU. And your assumption is that's it's easy for everyone else.

Relative. "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." In comparison to a silver, bronze or even an older modern, TWD is relatively easier to find in 9.8.

You sell your slabs and suddenly you are completely disconnected from why someone else would want to collect?

No, I am surprised. That is all. I know why I collected. It just always seemed like I was the only one collecting certain series or that I was in a small minority. The number of people collecting TWD is surprising.

This is exactly like the nonsmokers in the smoking area. You are on a CGC message board talking about how you used to collect but now that you don't you can't understand why anyone does. :screwy:

Where did I ever say that I didn't understand why people would collect? I am just surprised that they would buy slabbed copies of this particular run (well the later issues, at least). Also, CGC provides this message board for us to actually discuss what the comic is about and not just the number on the slab.

I have not found Preacher or YTLM any harder to find in 9.8 then I do WD. I expect to have both sets completed before the registry awards.

Really? Could you get 10 copies of the last issue as easily as you got the 10 copies of #85? You are being completely disingenuous. If getting YTML or Preacher really were as easy as getting the latest issue of TWD in 9.8, you would have had those completed long before this year.

Now sell me your Preachers!! lol

No, go and find them. I hear it is easy to do. :baiting:

And it's not always about speculating future gains. (thumbs u

No, it isn't. On that we can agree.

Finally, what is funny is that as I was writing my responses, I could begin to see why people might want to buy TWD from you. If they were going to get them slabbed anyway and they pay you an extra 10 bucks a month plus shipping, that doesn't turn out to be too much if you think about it. In a year, they might pay 120-150 more and they don't have to run all over the place searching for the perfect copy. I am still surprised at the number of people collecting the series in CGC cases though.

Taking off the gloves? Nice.

You've been here going on 5 years and you just now start to see the weight that CGC has? Really? And since we agree that collecting is not always about future gains then why are you mentioning investments again??? I stated I slabbed 10 copies not that I sold 10 copies.

Once again your logic is founded in investing. So a new TWD is easier to find then a GA book in 9.8. Preacher is also easier to find then Superman 1 in 9.8 but you felt justified to collect Preacher. How scarce does a book need to be before you're no longer shocked? Maybe you should check out the Xmen thread with a higher print run and more slabbed. It might send you into a coma. lol

I would buy your Preachers not because it is easier but because it's cheaper just Like it's cheaper to buy a slabbed WD in 9.8 for the majority of collectors. Your example of paying 120-150 more and save the running around doesn't begin to paint a clear picture. Most people are actually saving $200+ and saving time running around.