• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,452 posts in this topic

Who said anything about which book is worth more?

I obviously said which is harder to find.

Nobody should be investing in any WD books. (shrug)

WD #2. :takeit:

WD#1. zzz

It's not particularly obvious what you're saying in the original post other than #2 is full of awesomeness in all ways and number #1 bores you to sleep.

Correct. :gossip:

1's are easy to find at every show and ebay 24/7 in HG.

Like I said how does my post imply #2 would ever be worth more than #1.

Just more enthusiastic to see #2 than #1.

You preface your comparison of 1 and 2 by discussing the value of #1, and asking if it can keep going up in value, right get all mushy about #2. It's either about money or its not - you can't have it both ways.

Also, re-read my post - I'm saying #2 is overpriced when compared to #1. That has nothing to do with which is worth more.

I gotta go to sleep. /nerdfight

Well all the WD issues are over priced. lol

When all the books suddenly double in price almost over night once Season 2 ended that should also convince you they can drop by the amount just as fast..

While I do agree the TV show will produce some new readership and collectors of the good issues most will either just buy the trades or nothing at all.

I have many friends (30+) who love to watch the show, and while I have told them over and over to read the comic because it is much better none have crossed over into buying the issues yet alone want to own a CGC graded copy of #1.

I mean just think how fast Y: The Last Man #1 will triple in price if they had a TV show or movie announced. (shrug) Once the sheep uhhh I mean the free thinking people see the show ends the fad will be over. Book will stabilize to reasonable levels the ample supply of the book 24/7. Don't get me wrong WD #1 is great book and will always have value, but 1500-2k highly unlikely.

Edited by Spiderman-on-Tilt

100% CGC 9.8 #1s will trade at 2K or more within the next 5 years :P

I have the book at $800.00 tops, and even then I think I am being too over zealous.

But it is definitely fun to debate about. (thumbs u

:news:

2K +

I love boardies. :facepalm:

Big difference between regular characters with no powers except killing zombies vs Silver age superheroes.

No difference. Nostalgia knows no superpower.

Tell that to Y: The Last Man, Sandman, or Preacher. Only with a movie or TV deal will those books go up in sheep like style. Walling dead was maxed out till the show was aired. Once the show is over the issues will all stabilize to realistic levels.

Same kind of independent style.

There also isn't 300+ copies of Amazing Fantasy 15 in CGC 9.8 grade either. :baiting:

Don't get me wrong WD #1 is great book and will always have value, but 1500-2k highly unlikely.

You underestimate the genre.

I am a huge Zombie fan. Hell I am doing a zombie run in San Diego in October. Walking Dead is the only current comic book I read, but still i can't look anyone in the face and think anyway other that the obvious future on the values of these books.

By this time next year the 9.8 and 9.6 CGC census on WD #1 will probably be up by at least 25-35%.

Lets face it nothing about the Walking Dead comic book nothing has been all that groundbreaking since the prison governor arc almost 50 issues ago. (shrug) Once the show does that arc the show could suffer bad ratings, so if they are smart they will use season 3 & 4 for the prison and then the governor war.

The show has what about 5-6 seasons before they will pull the plug on it just using the usual logic on a TV show.. Lost only made it 6 seasons.

Big difference between regular characters with no powers except killing zombies vs Silver age superheroes.

Tell that to Y: The Last Man, Sandman, or Preacher. Only with a movie or TV deal will those books go up in sheep like style. Walling dead was maxed out till the show was aired. Once the show is over the issues will all stabilize to realistic levels.

There also isn't 300+ copies of Amazing Fantasy 15 in CGC 9.8 grade either. :baiting:

There's really no need to bold my sentence if it's THE ONLY sentence.

With that said...

Sandman and Preacher #1s print run are..... ?

Maybe if you listen to what other people are saying, you would finally realize there are only 7 thousand copies of issue one.

Maybe, to put it into perspective, think of it this way:

Only 140 people from each state (50 states) can own a copy of The Walking Dead #1.

Now, if you can somehow convince me and everyone else here that there are less than 140 people in each state that want one and will pay 2K - then by all means I would love to hear it.

I bet that In New York and California alone there's a few thousand people willing to shell out the cash. That already throws off the numbers quite a bit if you know what I mean.

Don't get me wrong WD #1 is great book and will always have value, but 1500-2k highly unlikely.

You underestimate the genre.

I am a huge Zombie fan. Hell I am doing a zombie run in San Diego in October. Walking Dead is the only current comic book I read, but still i can't look anyone in the face and think anyway other that the obvious future on the values of these books.

By this time next year the 9.8 and 9.6 CGC census on WD #1 will probably be up by at least 25-35%.

Lets face it nothing about the Walking Dead comic book nothing has been all that groundbreaking since the prison governor arc almost 50 issues ago. (shrug) Once the show does that arc the show could suffer bad ratings, so if they are smart they will use season 3 & 4 for the prison and then the governor war.

The show has what about 5-6 seasons before they will pull the plug on it just using the usual logic on a TV show.. Lost only made it 6 seasons.

Can you pick my lotto numbers for me too??? :grin:

We will just have to wait and see, all we can do. Speculation is speculation.

I don't want to tell you what I paid for my 9.8 but lets just say, if there were more fans like me.....two thousand is a low end in coming years.

You keep saying how the books are at their peak and dropping now rapidly (which they are), but in willing to bet my entire collection that once season 3 starts all this madness will pick right back up again and prices will indeed surge once again.

You don't know how many people I talk to who are just now getting into the show and comic (right now, during the off season). I bet the viewer count for season 3 will be more than the previous two seasons, in fact im sure of that. I've never heard someone saying the watched it then stopped, its the opposite, more and more people are just getting into it.

No doubt in my mind come October you'll be able to sell your #19s for what they were going for during the recent pop if not more ($800+).

There's really no need to bold my sentence if it's THE ONLY sentence.

With that said...

Sandman and Preacher #1s print run are..... ?

Maybe if you listen to what other people are saying, you would finally realize there are only 7 thousand copies of issue one.

Maybe, to put it into perspective, think of it this way:

Only 140 people from each state (50 states) can own a copy of The Walking Dead #1.

Now, if you can somehow convince me and everyone else here that there are less than 140 people in each state that want one and will pay 2K - then by all means I would love to hear it.

I bet that In New York and California alone there's a few thousand people willing to shell out the cash. That already throws off the numbers quite a bit if you know what I mean.

Yes 100% most people will not ever pay 2k for WD #1 in any state 7000 times if they all were all 9.8.

This time last year exactly no one would pay me $600.00 for my WD #1 CGC 9.8 at WW Chicago on a dealers wall. soooooooooooooooo all of a sudden the book one year later is selling at $1200-1500.00 same grade.

So you don't see obvious speculative bubbles brewing?

No one can convince me that WD #1 or any other issues for that matter will be trading at higher levels going forward or especially once the TV show ends and the fad calms down.

No doubt in my mind come October you'll be able to sell your #19s for what they were going for during the recent pop if not more ($800+).

Very doubtful on the 19's that ship has sailed.

You should know by now how the formula works.

aka Iron Man #55....

Movie Preview: book goes up

Movie release: book start to stablize

Movie is out of theaters: books levels off and goes down from the hype while retaining a higher value than before the preview but the book still lowers well off its hyped up high value

WD #19 preview was the last scene of season 2..........Beginning of Season 3 the book will not be doing anything but continuing to lower.

Rule of thumb when the CGC census of 9.2-10.0 goes up a comic book does not increase in value as demand is usually met.

The last CGC 9.6 only sold for like $315.00. Just a couple months ago NM raw copies were going for that much.

I think anyone who believe any issue of the WD series that is a good investment is just kidding themselves.

Short-term reselling is why I love WD right now.

I have 15 copies of #27 coming back from CGC next month in 9.8. What do you think the value of that issue will be once I sell the 15th one compared to the 1st......higher or lower? :eyeroll:

Long-term WD will always have value, but not like 2012 or 2013.

Sorry but if some of you can't see the obvious speculation bubble brewing you learned nothing from the 2008 housing bubble.

If you don't believe me just check 2011 GPA data on all WD books to spot the first sign of speculation from that year to 2012.

I will take any bet from anyone here that WD #1 will be well under $1000 once the shows end and the sheep find something else to bah at.

I think anyone who believe any issue of the WD series that is a good investment is just kidding themselves.

I have 15 copies of #27 coming back from CGC next month in 9.8. What do you think the value of that issue will be once I sell the 15th one compared to the 1st......higher or lower? :eyeroll:

Sorry but if some of you can't see the obvious speculation bubble brewing you learned nothing from the 2008 housing bubble.

If you don't believe me just check 2011 GPA data on all WD books to spot the first sign of speculation from that year to 2012.

I will take any bet from anyone here that WD #1 will be well under $1000 once the shows end and the sheep find something else to bah at.

I'm hoping season 3 is the one where we find out why there was a polar bear on an island in the middle of the ocean...oh wait....yeah I guess that is what all the sheep were bah-ing at in 2008.

I'm hoping season 3 is the one where we find out why there was a polar bear on an island in the middle of the ocean...oh wait....yeah I guess that is what all the sheep were bah-ing at in 2008.

The sheep got skinned alive with that terrible shows ending.

Never seen writers leave so many answered questions and use total cop outs to tell us why they never answered them. The real answer is they had no clue to answer half of the BS they conjured up year after year.

Lost had most of their fans lost after that last season, :cry:

The sheep got skinned alive with that terrible shows ending.

Never seen writers leave so many answered questions and use total cop outs to tell us why they never answered them. The real answer is they had no clue to answer half of the BS they conjured up year after year.

Lost had most of their fans lost after that last season, :cry:

"We the creators want to thank you for tuning in for the first season of what we hope will be a great ride for all of the viewers"

"Okay, after watching the show we the audience is convinced that the passengers all died and are now in purgatory."

"Uh Uh (turns to the other guys whispers "!") Uh nope, that's not it at all, they're not in purgatory I can guarantee that much!"

(Later at a creative meeting)

" they figured it out! We have to come up with something? Time Travel? Teleportation experiments? Uhm Think People"

(timid hand raises)

"Why don't we just do it all until we've utterly confused everyone and then make the last season all about how the island was real, but in purgatory you have to learn a lesson or something...?"

"GENIUS!!!"

Nice read. Where were all you fortune tellers when raw #1's were selling for $100 on eBay?

#1 is a modern age key. Lots of #1 keys to compare it to.

#2 is a tough book in 9.8 and the most stable price.

#19 hit the peak although it may make a surge just B4 the show airs. Likely too many copies to catch the April prices but people be crazy with their BIN's.

#27. I find it interesting when I hear it will be like #19. Sit, think and compare the 2. What is so similar?? There may be a slight uptick B4 the show airs.

Most of you are completely missing the signs. :devil:

Carry on. :whee:

Bad comps.

WD#1 is more similar to the early ongoing independent books with low print runs and huge impacts on the medium; Cerebus, TMNT and Bone. Those books obviously had slightly smaller print runs, but, TMNT aside, WD has already had more pop culture impact.

On another tangent, people always bring the argument that TV/Movie viewers don't purchase collectible back issues. I think this is mostly correct; however, it misses the mark about why the back issues of properties that go mainstream increase in value proportionally to the pop culture impact of the adaptation.

This hobby is extremely insecure and always looking for validation. The average comic geek is always looking for someone to tell him what to buy, what's good, etc. and, for whatever reason, many consider a good hollywood adaptation being sucked up by the masses the ultimate validation. Seeing a character brought to the screen and accepted by mom, dad and the non-collector masses just makes the fanboys foam at the mouth for back issues.

Now, TMNT #1 had that kind of mainstream validation, but it was never a consistently good comic book series. Cerebus and Bone ran a long time and were well respected in the hobby, but had no mainstream impact.

WD1 hits the perfect storm of an ongoing title that:

- was already a comic book fan favorite with high back issue prices before the show

- has been consistently well-written (if a bit boring at times)

- has a crazy low print run (census be damned)

AND

- has had a massive pop culture impact, driven by a million-viewer TV show that has independently spun off its own zombie craze.

The only thing the book doesn't have going for it is condition scarcity, but that only matters to a certain demographic of ultra high grade collectors.

BTW, I'm still looking for YTLM 1 in 9.8 if anyone has one lol